Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2016, 02:23 AM   #121
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I really hope they'll make a D FA Limited line (but make them DC and weather seal them, please)
I can't see the Limited line getting DC motors (and WR) if they want to keep the compact/fast designs unless they are completely redesigned and new like the DA 20-40mm Limited.

02-22-2016, 02:25 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
I can't see the Limited line getting DC motors (and WR) if they want to keep the compact/fast designs unless they are completely redesigned and new like the DA 20-40mm Limited.
WR could be done, maybe (see DFA100 WR macro) but DC, no way if they wanna stay compact, I agree.
HD coating though is easy but will change their behaviour, just as it did for DA Limiteds.
QS though is really needed IMO.
02-22-2016, 04:14 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Well... I'm talking about a complete redesign, with new optics, barrels and so on. Otherwise all they could do is to make them HD (even weather sealing should require extensive changes).

My point is: make lenses which can truly be considered excellent by 2016-2020 standards; not by 1997-2001's. Not very big (yet sharp wide open), typical Limited construction. I would pay a reasonable (for both me and Ricoh ) price for such products.
02-22-2016, 04:16 AM   #124
Site Supporter

Just let @RonHendriks1966 say what i wants. It doesn't matter anyway, cause he doesn't run Ricoh or know their strategies and plans. We can just be happy dont have his mind, but the opposite

02-22-2016, 04:25 AM   #125
Pentaxian

As mentioned elsewhere, I see Pentax moving forward with 3 distinct ranges for FF:
FA Limited - Premium, Lightweight, metal body, compact, 'classic' designs and stay screwdrive

D-FA Limited - Premium, Lightweight Metal Body, relatively compact with WR/DC and curved Aperture Blades

D-FA
- Cheaper/good value range, compromise between size/weight/price (possibly WR with DC motors)

D-FA* - No compromise, fast, top level quality but large/expensive with AW/WR build.
I would guess the new Tamron based lenses, as they have been, would all stay D-FA to flesh out the lens lineup with Pentax concentrating on the D-FA/FA Limited and D-FA* ranges.
I really hope they'll make a D FA Limited line (but make them DC and weather seal them, please)
Just thinking, could they (or would it be worth it) create a 4th Line as edited above?

Could a D-FA Limited 31/43/77 line sharing the same optical formula but improved for PF/CA be run alongside the original FA-Limited range? Would it be an advantage, bringing price of the 'classic' trio down? Or would it just be better to merge any new designs into the existing D-FA range?

Probably thinking/dreaming too much....
02-22-2016, 04:53 AM   #126
Pentaxian

(...) (even weather sealing should require extensive changes).

(...)
Not necessarily, judging by the precedent of DA 55-300mm.

---------- Post added 02-22-2016 at 12:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Just let @RonHendriks1966 say what [he] wants. It doesn't matter anyway, cause he doesn't run Ricoh or know their strategies and plans. We can just be happy [we] dont have his mind, but the opposite
Why this dive bombing? Wrong thread?
02-22-2016, 05:06 AM   #127

I'm guessing they might be rebadged Tamron lenses, like the SP 35mm f1.8 and SP 45mm f1.8, and maybe the just announced SP 85mm f1.8 and 90mm f2.8 Macro will be rebadged too.

Looking how they did it with Tamron's 24-70mm f2.8 and 15-30mm f2.8, I guess maybe this is Ricoh's deal with Tamron then, to save them time and bring out more high performance lower cost lenses first to make the Pentax FF system more attractive and then when Ricoh get more money they develops more higher priced pro grade lenses.

In some ways it is a good thing, because the Pentax FF system is new and it will be beneficial from sales POV to have both lower cost and high performance lenses together pro grade high performance lenses in the system overall rather than just having all expensive pro grade lenses to make the system, this makes invest into K-1 easier as a system, more choice is always a good thing. However, I do also hope Pentax to develop a few nice D-FA* primes such as D-FA* 85mm f1.4 and possibly D-FA* 35mm f1.4 or D-FA* 135mm f2/1.8 for the K-1.
02-22-2016, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #128
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Not necessarily, judging by the precedent of DA 55-300mm.

---------- Post added 02-22-2016 at 12:57 PM ----------

Why this dive bombing? Wrong thread?
Isnt in this tread he wants Pentax to shut down?

02-22-2016, 06:18 AM   #129
Pentaxian

Which is carefully disguised under the "it's more efficient if they cease operations" pretense
02-22-2016, 06:24 AM   #130
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure if this was mentioned upthread - couldn't find anything on Tamron in the last two pages - but Tamron have now officially announced an 85mm F/1.8 and a 90mm F/2.8 macro. Neither of them will be available in Pentax mount.
02-22-2016, 06:36 AM   #131
Pentaxian

Yes ,it's already there, look up
02-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #132
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Just let @RonHendriks1966 say what i wants. It doesn't matter anyway, cause he doesn't run Ricoh or know their strategies and plans. We can just be happy dont have his mind, but the opposite
Just some historie. The Vietnam lens plant is only since 2006 in it's current building.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_6243.html

From this article
Pentax new SLR camera plant
The total number of employees at Pentax NV will also be increased from 700 to 900. With the inauguration of the new plant, Pentax VN's lens production capacity will grow from the current one million units a month to 1.6 million units. Since its foundation in 1995, Pentax Vietnam has mainly manufactured interchangeable lenses for Pentax-brand SLR cameras and CCTV lenses. In recent years, digital compact camera lenses and cellular phone camera lenses have been added to its product lineup, making it the main production base for Pentax lenses.

Not all parts of this production, if still in that factory is still part of the current Pentax. Lenses for compact camera's and cellulair phones stayed with Hoya. No idea about cctv.

With some new lenses made by Tamron and maybe a few more coming (35mm, 45mm, 85mm) one can think about a restructure. Head of lens design of Tamron is a former employee of Pentax. Coming back together isn't so bad.

Maybe even taking over Tamron is possible. Would that be strange? Wel Canon try'd to buy Sigma, so things happen in the industrie.

That is something different then shutting down Pentax.
02-22-2016, 06:47 AM   #133
Pentaxian

It only makes sense that Tamron would not release their lenses for K-mount. The reason they stopped releasing for Pentax is that there was not enough demand and the venture wasn't profitable. Now, if the K-1 increases demand and Tamron (and Sigma) saw a chance for profit, they would start releasing the lenses that there is a high demand for, which is mostly stuff that Pentax doesn't offer themselves.

But for the rebadging Ricoh has obviously chosen the Tamron lenses that Pentax users have the highest demand for - a wide-angle zoom and a standard zoom. And if the two mystery lenses are rebadged Tamrons too, then how much else can Tamron release for Pentax that there is really high demand for?

Now, while the rebadging was a smart move on Ricoh's behalf, I am pretty sure it removes any chance of Tamron releasing K-mount lenses any time soon. Through rebadging they make a profit without any risk, because Ricoh are the ones who need to sell the lenses, not Tamron.
02-22-2016, 07:10 AM   #134
Pentaxian

...and because Ricoh are probably paying for the adaptations needed to release the lenses in K mount.
02-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #135
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps Pentax has its own lenses in development for those focal lengths.