Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
What the heck, join the micro4:3 consortium Ricoh, I dare ya!
Saturated market with experienced and competent players. Not worth the try IMO. I had once wondered about it as an evolutionary pathway for Q, but the Q lenses probably won't cover a M4/3 sensor and without that you have to invest in a completely new set of lenses or run with whatever mount Olympus and Panasonic are using. Too much licensing of other people's technology.

02-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #32
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ron, let's talk about when Pentax is so successful they have to open another Vietnam factory instead of trying to think of imaginary ways for Pentax to wither away into nothing and disappear.
Having two factory's is first of all extra cost and extra staff. I can see the K-1 being succesfull, but still not needing an extra factory. In aps-c the lens sale isn't to big, since there are plenty lenses sold over the past decade that are still great.
02-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I'd be happy with a Q/NX fusion that's for sure .. but we digress!
02-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Having two factory's is first of all extra cost and extra staff. I can see the K-1 being succesfull, but still not needing an extra factory. In aps-c the lens sale isn't to big, since there are plenty lenses sold over the past decade that are still great.
The idea is for Pentax to grow so much they have to add capacity, not to hope they can cut capacity to save money.

02-17-2016, 12:34 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Redirecting production to another location, outsourcing, is still developing Pentax. That is very normal business today.

Well we already have 24-70 and 15-30 coming out of the Tamron factory. So quality isn't an issue. If they also make the 35mm, 45mm, 85mm and 180mm macro for Pentax, that would be great.

The next step......who knows.
Ron, stop this FUD nonsense. You tried to "stop" the K-1 from happening, now you're trying to "close" Pentax down. That's a silly game you're playing.
Closing down critical factories is not "very normal", nor what is happening with Ricoh. Hint: they allocated about 60 million USD to "Increase production of digital cameras ,etc.".

Last edited by Kunzite; 02-17-2016 at 12:55 PM.
02-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #36
Veteran Member

This would be nice...
02-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
LOL. And I thought Pentax was capacity constrained. Another bad idea, Ron?

02-17-2016, 12:40 PM   #38
Banned

The idea is for Pentax to grow so much they have to add capacity, not to hope they can cut capacity to save money.
We will see the lenses to come and where they are produced.
02-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #39
Pentaxian

The Pentax-made lenses will be made in Pentax' factory from Vietnam, by Pentax. The Tamron-made lenses will be made in Tamron's factory from wherever, by Tamron. Doh!
02-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Jun Kirakawa's quote is being taken a bit out of context. First of all it was a thank you to Matt to join the closed group on FB. Second it was to confirm that "Tamron is now working in Pentax Camera Lenses" and lastly "let's talk" as in to the group on FB.
02-17-2016, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Ron's ever the cheerful optimist, isn't he? /sarc

Whether or not the K-1 needs another factory, Ricoh have picked Pentax up out of the dust, brushed it off and helped it along the road to a potentially bright future (as opposed to the definite ignominious demise I hear they were sliding towards under Hoya), and I trust them to know more about the development and manufacture of cameras than some guy (several some guys, and probably occasional gals) on the internet. Let them licence as many designs from Tamron as they want - if what we get out of it are bright shiny lenses with bright shiny green Pentax rings and bright shiny Pentax coatings and reliable Pentax weather sealing and reliable focus systems (regardless of what they may be called) that work hand in glove with the camera bodies to take great pictures, I'm all for it.
02-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Jun Kirakawa's quote is being taken a bit out of context. First of all it was a thank you to Matt to join the closed group on FB. Second it was to confirm that "Tamron is now working in Pentax Camera Lenses" and lastly "let's talk" as in to the group on FB.
you are right there

Last edited by Mattox; 02-17-2016 at 01:43 PM.
02-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #43
Veteran Member

And that's how you create a rumor that will shake stock
02-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Tamron is moving in the right way. Up market. They probably want to restructure the company in accordance with that. They won't be able to compete with cheap offerings from China (and those are coming, mostly manual now, but AF will come too).
02-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Tamron is moving in the right way. Up market. They probably want to restructure the company in accordance with that. They won't be able to compete with cheap offerings from China (and those are coming, mostly manual now, but AF will come too).
True, but Tamron somehow also lost the race from Sigma.