Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
that lens rocks, you'd be very happy to see it in k-mount, and if they are doing it for sony, why couldn't it be done for k-mount... simpler and easier than re-engineering the fa31ltd to modern specs.
But 35mm is really well covered. FA 35mm f2, DA 35mm f2.4 (should be ok on FF), Sigma 35mm Art (optically amazing lens by any account).. then there is the Samyang 35mm (also great quality), and Mitakon 35mm. FA 31mm is special because it is a little different FoV and it has this cult status. Would be a waste to throw it away. Few lenses become so legendary, from any brand. Since Pentax in general has problems with being recognized, it is important to build on things like that.

02-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Fully agree.
Me, too.

Another Boris Cleto for me.
02-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #108
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's not cheaper than FA77.
Do you know something I don't?

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I hope we never see such Tamron under Pentax name.
I hope we see Tamron producing K-mount lenses under the Tamron brand, and Ricoh producing K-mount lenses under the Pentax brand. Then at least we have more choice, which makes the system more attractive as a whole.

Rebadged lenses like the 24-70 may be very good. But it is far from an ideal situation, and worse than it was several years ago.

Hopefully, with the full frame camera out, we will see more interest from both Sigma and Tamron to start producing K-mount lenses again. But we're not there yet.
02-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #109
Pentaxian

surely they aren't going to be released with screw-drive af? and no ois? the standard these days is five-way stabilization, with the camera body cpu talking to both ibis and ois.

perhaps keep the same optics, no ois, but with modern in-lens focus motors?
The standard? Remind me, how many products are implementing that?

I agree, screw drive AF should disappear (sorry, folks, it just doesn't allow for the required precision, nor is it particularly quiet). But relying on the in-body SR is fine.
OIS itself brings its own share of problems.

02-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #110
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But 35mm is really well covered. FA 35mm f2, DA 35mm f2.4 (should be ok on FF), Sigma 35mm Art (optically amazing lens by any account).. then there is the Samyang 35mm (also great quality), and Mitakon 35mm. FA 31mm is special because it is a little different FoV and it has this cult status. Would be a waste to throw it away. Few lenses become so legendary, from any brand. Since Pentax in general has problems with being recognized, it is important to build on things like that.
i agree that it would be a waste to throw it away, i wish that i owned one! but screw-drive af and other issues are a bit long in the tooth for some people.

fa35 is out of production and unavailable at b&h, the da35/2.4 is cheap, it will have weak sides on ff because it's already weak on crop, the korean 35mm lenses are horrible: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gxrx5uebxgstlk/DSC03353at2point0.JPG

the tamron 35/1.8 is sharper than the sigma 35 art, look at the corners at f/2, although neither is perfect: Tamron 35mm f/1.8 Di VC USD Lens Image Quality

what i've seen of the mitakon is not encouraging, i haven't seen anyone getting it for sony ff.

so the only current world-class 35mm prime in k-mount that i can see is the art lens.

we know how good the fa31ltd is, but these days that may not be enough.

---------- Post added 02-21-16 at 02:34 PM ----------

five-way stabilization: A Comparison of How Olympus and Sony's 5 Axis Stabilization Work
02-21-2016, 04:06 PM   #111
Veteran Member

fa35 is out of production and unavailable at b&h, the da35/2.4 is cheap, it will have weak sides on ff because it's already weak on crop ...
Wait a second there. a) the FA35 f/2 is still on the roadmap and I have not come across any indication that it would be discontinued. It frequently happens that some online store mislabels a lens as discontinued, unless other stores follow suit there really is nothing to it.

And the DA 35 f/2.4 is a stellar lens on crop, both acclaimed by reviewers and revered by many users, me included. It is pretty damn sharp, with low distortion and close to no CAs. And it is entirely FF compatible.

QuoteQuote:
so the only current world-class 35mm prime in k-mount that i can see is the art lens.
And how many 'world class' primes do you need of the same focal length?

The Pentax K-1 has 5-axis stabilisation IBIS, so what is your point?
02-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

surely they aren't going to be released with screw-drive af? and no ois? the standard these days is five-way stabilization, with the camera body cpu talking to both ibis and ois.

perhaps keep the same optics, no ois, but with modern in-lens focus motors?

the tamron 35/1.8 vc is $120 cheaper than the fa31ltd at b&h, and it's about to be released in a-mount: Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di USD Lens for Sony A AFF012S-700 B&H

that lens rocks, you'd be very happy to see it in k-mount, and if they are doing it for sony, why couldn't it be done for k-mount... simpler and easier than re-engineering the fa31ltd to modern specs.
It seems to me we don't know what is simple and what isn't. No one should say simple is easy, either. It seems to me defining 'Good' is quite subjective. It seems to me there is more to an image than crisp lines, edge to edge. Super Resolution can make an image incredibly sharp, rich and deep tonality - with the right lens.

The FA Limiteds are Signature lenses - they are the identity products of Pentax. I hope Ricoh knows this and will make every effort to retain them. Of course, the ART will be retaining their special character while making them at least somewhat more modern. If we look at the K-1, which is configured to produce stellar still images while eschewing many modern frills that 'everyone' expects these days, a case can be made for a simple update to the FA Limiteds; coatings, Quick Shift, in-lens motors but no OIS (not necessary less than 200mm), exquisite construction values and - gasp - no aperture ring.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-21-2016 at 05:59 PM.
02-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #113
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote

Agree totally.

I bought the FA 35 off B&H just a couple of months ago, don't know what Osv is on about.

The DA35 is sharp for me edge to edge, again don't know what Osv is on about - it's hard to tell pictures taken with it from those by my FA35.

The Samyang I don't know about, the Sigma I have, the 31 I wish I did.

What choices!
02-21-2016, 09:34 PM   #114
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Wait a second there. a) the FA35 f/2 is still on the roadmap and I have not come across any indication that it would be discontinued.
fa35/2 has been showing as "discontinued" at b&h for quite awhile, see below.

a great lens, i wish that my copy hadn't been slightly decentered.

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
And the DA 35 f/2.4 is a stellar lens on crop, both acclaimed by reviewers and revered by many users, me included. It is pretty damn sharp, with low distortion and close to no CAs. And it is entirely FF compatible.
you can clearly see the field curvature problems in some of the heie review pics, for example, blow his shot up to 100%, this is left side vs. center, but both sides are weak: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2s1tojrl5qx58n0/pentaxda35treecomparison.jpg

is it a problem with his copy, that neither he nor anyone else saw? or are they all bad like that? worst case, it'll work fine for centered objects, but it's no fa35, not even close.

QuoteQuote:
And how many 'world class' primes do you need of the same focal length?
how about something cheaper than $900? the tamron 35/1.8 costs less and it's sharper in the corners.

QuoteQuote:
The Pentax K-1 has 5-axis stabilisation IBIS, so what is your point?
i'm looking forward to seeing that and the pixel shifting as well.
Attached Images

02-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
don't know what Osv is on about.
We'll see who's happy and who isn't in about 8 weeks, if not sooner.

It comes down to expectations and subjective taste. I'm quite certain every lens I own - even those from the 60's and 50's - will perform very well on K-,1 when used as it was designed to be used.
02-21-2016, 09:48 PM   #116

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
A 20mm f2 would be just lovely wouldn't it
I could really go for a fast 20 or 24 prime that has WR.
02-21-2016, 11:21 PM   #117
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Do you know something I don't?

I know the price of FA77 749 USD

Pentax Telephoto SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited Series 27980 B&H

---------- Post added 02-21-2016 at 11:22 PM ----------

fa35/2 has been showing as "discontinued" at b&h for quite awhile, see below.
Only at BHPhoto. There is in new Ricoh lens catalogue for K-1.
02-21-2016, 11:31 PM   #118
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I dunno why you even talk about ois. Pentax wont. Simple.
02-22-2016, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #119
Veteran Member

As mentioned elsewhere, I see Pentax moving forward with 3 distinct ranges for FF:
D-FA Limited / FA Limited - Premium, Lightweight, metal body, compact (possibly stay screwdrive).

D-FA - Cheaper/good value range, compromise between size/weight/price (possibly WR with DC motors)

D-FA* - No compromise, fast, top level quality but large/expensive with AW/WR build.
I would guess the new Tamron based lenses, as they have been, would all stay D-FA to flesh out the lens lineup with Pentax concentrating on the D-FA/FA Limited and D-FA* ranges.
02-22-2016, 12:42 AM   #120
Pentaxian

I really hope they'll make a D FA Limited line (but make them DC and weather seal them, please)