Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2016, 01:25 AM   #1501
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,857
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It's a matter of definition. PDAs used not to have telephone functions, then phones had PDA functions, and now internet connectivity has meant the strict telephone functions (ie making voice calls to someone on another phone) are being overtaken by other means of communication, including video, text messaging (no longer just off the back of the voice carrier) and email etc. There is no reason not to include telephony as part of the Digital Assistant's range of functions. The same goes for picture-taking capabilities. The smart phone is actually just an augmented PDA.
You can see it like that, but most people buy it rather for communication capabilities (phone, text, facebook chat) rather than PDA capabilities (agenda, note taking). We could say a phone is part of a PDA, but because most people are interrested into a phone and not into a PDA, this doesn't really work this way.

Sure that "phone" doesn't really match text/facebook chat but it fufill a need: you can still communicate.

I agree in the end that PDA is a much better definition but when you think that PDA as devices disapeared almost completely whil the smartphones took over, this is misleading. If you ask somebody about their PDA they will not understand you speak of their phone.

05-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #1502
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,007
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
If you ask somebody about their PDA they will not understand you speak of their phone.
But the 'PDA' element is very much making a comeback.

When you look at the work going into AI stuff like Siri, Cortana, 'OK Google' etc in smartphones, and the use of big data web services to drive them, it all starts to look like the industry is returning to the 'personal digital assistant' concept again. PDA v2.
05-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #1503
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 8,218
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But the 'PDA' element is very much making a comeback.

When you look at the work going into AI stuff like Siri, Cortana, 'OK Google' etc in smartphones, and the use of big data web services to drive them, it all starts to look like the industry is returning to the 'personal digital assistant' concept again. PDA v2.
Time to dig out a couple of my "old" PocketPCs and get them on eBay!!!!
05-23-2016, 05:44 AM   #1504
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 439
How likely is it that Pentax will release a bundle of the K-1 & 24-70 or K1 & 28-105 anytime soon? Maybe together they both would be a few hundred off?

05-23-2016, 05:48 AM   #1505
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 8,218
QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
How likely is it that Pentax will release a bundle of the K-1 & 24-70 or K1 & 28-105 anytime soon? Maybe together they both would be a few hundred off?
Given the demand for the K-1 and those lenses individually, I don't think Ricoh will see the need to offer bundles for quite a while yet. My guess would be in time for Christmas, if at all, but I can't see it happening earlier...
05-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #1506
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,282
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Given the demand for the K-1 and those lenses individually, I don't think Ricoh will see the need to offer bundles for quite a while yet. My guess would be in time for Christmas, if at all, but I can't see it happening earlier...
...and it could well differ from one country to another. In France we had bundles with K20D and DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 and even bundles with K20D plus DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 plus DA* 50-135mm f/2.8. From the K-7 onwards, we've never seen such bundles again. I don't know whether other countries were offered the same bundles or different ones.

One should also take into account the shortage in sensors caused by the earthquake in Japan and the subsequent stop of production at the Sony factory. Most Nikon and Sony rebates, ongoing or planned, were terminated or cancelled in the wake of this shortage.
05-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #1507
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 364
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
In France we had bundles with K20D and DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 .
And I know at least one customer who bought this as it's first DSLR
05-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #1508
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,282
QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
And I know at least one customer who bought this as its first DSLR
He could have chosen a worse combo .

And K10D (+18-55mm) + 16-50mm f/2.8 + 50-135mm f/2.8 was my first DSLR equipment too...

(after a few SLRs, I agree...)

05-23-2016, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #1509
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,857
Do we really need K1 resolution? For the fun you can actually take the time to respond to this poll to find out what max size the community is actually printing !

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/3...ting-size.html
05-23-2016, 11:56 PM - 2 Likes   #1510
Pentaxian
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,096
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Do we really need K1 resolution? For the fun you can actually take the time to respond to this poll to find out what max size the community is actually printing !
It's not just about printing big. The surfeit of megapixels allows a fair degree of cropping when one can't get close enough to a subject, or one can get another photo from the original - two for the price of one. It's fun finding pictures within pictures. Here's an example (I have better ones, but I'm darned if I can find them right now). I apologise that it as taken with another brand of camera (which I bought when Pentax did not have a FF, 36 Mpx body), but it illustrates my point. At least, my granddaughter has the sense to own a Pentax!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D810  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D810  Photo 
05-24-2016, 12:49 AM   #1511
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
acoufap's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich, Germany
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,043
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
It's not just about printing big. The surfeit of megapixels allows a fair degree of cropping when one can't get close enough to a subject, or one can get another photo from the original - two for the price of one. It's fun finding pictures within pictures. Here's an example (I have better ones, but I'm darned if I can find them right now). I apologise that it as taken with another brand of camera (which I bought when Pentax did not have a FF, 36 Mpx body), but it illustrates my point. At least, my granddaughter has the sense to own a Pentax!
What a nice image! - I just have to laugh with her.
05-24-2016, 02:00 AM   #1512
Pentaxian
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,096
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
What a nice image! - I just have to laugh with her.
Thank you acoufap. One would have to be a very miserable soul not to smile at that photo!
05-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #1513
Veteran Member
Caat's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Photos: Albums
Posts: 901
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
It's not just about printing big. The surfeit of megapixels allows a fair degree of cropping when one can't get close enough to a subject, or one can get another photo from the original - two for the price of one. It's fun finding pictures within pictures. Here's an example (I have better ones, but I'm darned if I can find them right now). I apologise that it as taken with another brand of camera (which I bought when Pentax did not have a FF, 36 Mpx body), but it illustrates my point. At least, my granddaughter has the sense to own a Pentax!
I think that is very true. I noticed that going from 6mp to 14mp to 24mp. The added versatility in this respect really allows you to considered what you've shot after you've actually shot it.
05-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #1514
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,273
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
It's not just about printing big. The surfeit of megapixels allows a fair degree of cropping when one can't get close enough to a subject ...
We especially see that process when taking pictures of wildlife. I have trouble composing pictures with a long prime, so many years ago I learned to use a long zoom, centering in on the subject with a wider view and then zooming in for the actual picture. Many of those who advocate for the 36MP, or even 50MP, cameras basically skip that last step, especially when trying to follow a Bird In Flight.
05-24-2016, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #1515
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,797
What is this word, 'need'?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
auto, base, camera, company, compression, d810, design, dr, electrons, fa, hardware, iso, k-1, k-3, lenses, pentax, pentax body, pentax k-1, pentax news, pentax rumors, photos, pre-order, risk, sensor, specifications, timelapse, trip, vs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-3 II Officially Announced Adam Pentax News and Rumors 1015 07-03-2015 10:55 PM
Pentax K-S2 Officially Announced Adam Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 12 05-23-2015 06:49 AM
Pentax K-30 Officially Announced! Adam Pentax News and Rumors 245 09-12-2012 08:32 PM
Pentax K-5 Officially Announced Adam Pentax News and Rumors 533 03-06-2012 05:45 AM
K-5 Firmware 1.02 Officially Announced Ole Pentax K-5 50 01-20-2011 10:05 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top