Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #1501
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Has anyone received the K-1? Can you post photos please???
It's a unicorn. It doesn't actually exist.

05-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #1502
Site Supporter

Flickr

I saw several really nice shots on Flicker. I wonder if anyone from this forum would have done it.
05-18-2016, 05:32 PM   #1503
Pentaxian

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/314413-post-your-k-1-pictures.html for k1 pictures.
05-19-2016, 05:46 AM   #1504
Site Supporter

I saw several really nice shots on Flicker. I wonder if anyone from this forum would have done it.
There's a whole new forum section for the K-1: Pentax K-1 - PentaxForums.com

Pictures with the K-1, pictures OF the K-1, questions, answers, arguments about the extending screen, etc. etc. etc.

And relatively few complaints, especially for PF!

05-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #1505
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anybody seen this one yet?

05-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #1506
Site Supporter

Eureka!

I found it, and saw several photos. I should have not done that!! Now, I have to buy the K-1. I was trying to hold, but I cannot hold anymore. Those shots are spectacular (even with the old SMC K lenses and Taks.)
05-20-2016, 11:52 PM   #1507
Pentaxian

I found it, and saw several photos. I should have not done that!! Now, I have to buy the K-1. I was trying to hold, but I cannot hold anymore. Those shots are spectacular (even with the old SMC K lenses and Taks.)
Yes there should be a "wallet warning" preamble to that thread!
05-21-2016, 03:10 AM   #1508
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The phone part of its capability is a minor part, these days. The so-called "smart phone" is really a true Personal Digital Assistant - another case of our own language limiting our thinking.

However, the ergonomics of a smart phone are not really conducive to other than snapshot-taking, even though they can be put to use making good pictures, too, and because convenience trumps performance standards just about anytime. On the other hand, when you use a well-designed dedicated camera, it's a bit like using a performance motorcar in that you feel like you want to use it to get the best out of it, because the picture-making (or driving) experience is so good, and the end-point is another matter entirely, even if it's the main objective of the exercise. Should the ergonomics of the smart phone improve to the point where the experience is that good, then it will have become a camera with benefits.
It is called smartphone and not a PDA because the key feature of the device, like it or not is the chip that allow the device to be connected, to take phone call, send an receive text... If you let people choose between having only the PDA capabilities (display agenda, take notes and so on) or have only communication capabilities (phone call, text, mails, chat) or only picture/video capabilities most people would focus on the communication part.

As for picture quality snapshots and alike if I search for top photo taken with 5Dmark-III or an iphone 6 the thing is, they all look great. Maybe the 5D-III picture look to have more subtle rendering but that about it.

Overall there likely more great pictures taken with smartphones than with DSLR. First a DSLR doesn't make you good, second they so fewer users that you can't really compete.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 05-21-2016 at 03:23 AM.
05-21-2016, 03:58 AM   #1509
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
It is called smartphone and not a PDA because the key feature of the device, like it or not is the chip that allow the device to be connected, to take phone call, send an receive text... If you let people choose between having only the PDA capabilities (display agenda, take notes and so on) or have only communication capabilities (phone call, text, mails, chat) or only picture/video capabilities most people would focus on the communication part.

As for picture quality snapshots and alike if I search for top photo taken with 5Dmark-III or an iphone 6 the thing is, they all look great. Maybe the 5D-III picture look to have more subtle rendering but that about it.

Overall there likely more great pictures taken with smartphones than with DSLR. First a DSLR doesn't make you good, second they so fewer users that you can't really compete.
It's a matter of definition. PDAs used not to have telephone functions, then phones had PDA functions, and now internet connectivity has meant the strict telephone functions (ie making voice calls to someone on another phone) are being overtaken by other means of communication, including video, text messaging (no longer just off the back of the voice carrier) and email etc. There is no reason not to include telephony as part of the Digital Assistant's range of functions. The same goes for picture-taking capabilities. The smart phone is actually just an augmented PDA.
05-22-2016, 01:25 AM   #1510
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It's a matter of definition. PDAs used not to have telephone functions, then phones had PDA functions, and now internet connectivity has meant the strict telephone functions (ie making voice calls to someone on another phone) are being overtaken by other means of communication, including video, text messaging (no longer just off the back of the voice carrier) and email etc. There is no reason not to include telephony as part of the Digital Assistant's range of functions. The same goes for picture-taking capabilities. The smart phone is actually just an augmented PDA.
You can see it like that, but most people buy it rather for communication capabilities (phone, text, facebook chat) rather than PDA capabilities (agenda, note taking). We could say a phone is part of a PDA, but because most people are interrested into a phone and not into a PDA, this doesn't really work this way.

Sure that "phone" doesn't really match text/facebook chat but it fufill a need: you can still communicate.

I agree in the end that PDA is a much better definition but when you think that PDA as devices disapeared almost completely whil the smartphones took over, this is misleading. If you ask somebody about their PDA they will not understand you speak of their phone.
05-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #1511
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
If you ask somebody about their PDA they will not understand you speak of their phone.
But the 'PDA' element is very much making a comeback.

When you look at the work going into AI stuff like Siri, Cortana, 'OK Google' etc in smartphones, and the use of big data web services to drive them, it all starts to look like the industry is returning to the 'personal digital assistant' concept again. PDA v2.
05-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #1512
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But the 'PDA' element is very much making a comeback.

When you look at the work going into AI stuff like Siri, Cortana, 'OK Google' etc in smartphones, and the use of big data web services to drive them, it all starts to look like the industry is returning to the 'personal digital assistant' concept again. PDA v2.
Time to dig out a couple of my "old" PocketPCs and get them on eBay!!!!
05-23-2016, 05:44 AM   #1513
Veteran Member

How likely is it that Pentax will release a bundle of the K-1 & 24-70 or K1 & 28-105 anytime soon? Maybe together they both would be a few hundred off?
05-23-2016, 05:48 AM   #1514
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
How likely is it that Pentax will release a bundle of the K-1 & 24-70 or K1 & 28-105 anytime soon? Maybe together they both would be a few hundred off?
Given the demand for the K-1 and those lenses individually, I don't think Ricoh will see the need to offer bundles for quite a while yet. My guess would be in time for Christmas, if at all, but I can't see it happening earlier...
05-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #1515
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Given the demand for the K-1 and those lenses individually, I don't think Ricoh will see the need to offer bundles for quite a while yet. My guess would be in time for Christmas, if at all, but I can't see it happening earlier...
...and it could well differ from one country to another. In France we had bundles with K20D and DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 and even bundles with K20D plus DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 plus DA* 50-135mm f/2.8. From the K-7 onwards, we've never seen such bundles again. I don't know whether other countries were offered the same bundles or different ones.

One should also take into account the shortage in sensors caused by the earthquake in Japan and the subsequent stop of production at the Sony factory. Most Nikon and Sony rebates, ongoing or planned, were terminated or cancelled in the wake of this shortage.