Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 570 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #376
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I think he should try.
Having read about a baby pool and a bare bum on one of the Single In threads, I'll have to decline the challenge.

02-19-2016, 10:02 PM   #377
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Having read about a baby pool and a bare bum on one of the Single In threads, I'll have to decline the challenge.
Selfie day is excellent fun.
02-19-2016, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #378
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do we actually care what Ken Rockwell says? He, like Thom Hogan, has never "got" Pentax.
02-19-2016, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #379

ignore him and don't even bother.

02-19-2016, 11:14 PM   #380
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Amigo Quote
Wow, didn't expect that feature come so soon after it was introduced
"Additionally, the K-1 has a motion correction setting that allows this function to be used even when shooting handheld."

That is a killer feature! I just might buy one.

---------- Post added 02-20-2016 at 01:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Do we actually care what Ken Rockwell says? He, like Thom Hogan, has never "got" Pentax.
I agreed with someone who basically said, he says controversial things to get more attention toward his site.
02-19-2016, 11:18 PM   #381
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
"Additionally, the K-1 has a motion correction setting that allows this function to be used even when shooting handheld."

That is a killer feature! I just might buy one.
This could sell me on the FF, but maybe in a year or so. I still need to see a lot I of usage examples and reviews as well as improvements via firmware update, etc. It does have me hesitating on my planned purchase of the K-3 II in case the next APS-C implements this.
02-19-2016, 11:36 PM   #382
Pentaxian

I don't get what he really means, but don't you think the "aspergers" word is pretty insulting ?
Lucky is he that there is no "comment section" on his middle-aged blog....

02-20-2016, 12:23 AM   #383

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Ken had a nice idea. Why not a FF Pentax with Leica M mount, so we can use the wonderful Leica lenses on the Pentax? Maybe this can be passed on to Ricoh. In any case, today is a holiday for me, the FF is here and I need to order it now. See you around.
There was actually a Ricoh GXR MOUNT A12 with the M mount. Its not FF, but still, it was already on the market.

GXR / Digital Cameras | RICOH IMAGING
02-20-2016, 01:54 AM   #384
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I don't get what he really means, but don't you think the "aspergers" word is pretty insulting ?
Lucky is he that there is no "comment section" on his middle-aged blog....
The idea simple, the wanabe Pentaxian, maybe the guys that have seen there a new innexpensive FF could look for Pentax. IF they really decide to do that they are aspergers that wanna use their old manual lenses from 40 years ago.

The problem for his rethoric to me is that he is so agressive all the way and biased in his renting without giving argument but just his own impression that he discredit himself. I think nobody expect a few limited guys would be influenced by his post.

He is not logical in his reasonning:
Pentax bad because of noisy AF => But the last lenses are all DC sinice 2-3 years.
Pentax bad because of sensor stab => But the competitor he site have many lenses without stab, including Leica.
Pentax only good for old MF lenses of the 70 => Pentax should concentrate on Leica M manual lenses.

He doesn't get anything, doesn't try and just rant. But this is so obvious and badly made that I think everybody does see it.

But he doesn't even care, the Pentax FF got positive feedback from everybody... He give negative feedback so it give him views and clicks/ads. But to me he discredit himself has an autority. Reading his post here, the only thing he is worth to me is as entertainement like a clown.
02-20-2016, 02:29 AM   #385
Veteran Member

Tony Northrup says some very nice things about Pentax

02-20-2016, 02:41 AM   #386

Photos: Albums
Ugh I've just got into Photography with a DSLR and just from spending the last 2 weeks reading through articles, playing with my K50 and the images in LR, that K1 looks gorgeous. The extra e-dial made me look at my K50 sadly, I definitely love the e-dials on the k50, but an extra one would definitely help. The built in GPS, Wi-Fi, and supported tethering basically make that camera my birthday present next year once the price drops, I've gained more experience, they've worked out any bugs in the firmware, and maybe they'll replace the 2.0 USB with 3.0. Only real downside to me but like I said I'm a newbie :P.
02-20-2016, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #387
Pentaxian

I think it is good to read other opinions and filter yourself. Here we can often read overly enthusiastic reviews of Pentax gear, Ken Rockwell may count for the exact opposite. The answer is somewhere in between. Ken points at a bunch of shortcomings in the Pentax system, most of them are obvious to objective readers. On the other hand he forgets to mention the advantages of Pentax that makes the camera worthwile.
Considering a K1, most of us will need to buy a bunch of new lenses - at least in the long run. The investment will be quite significant and we all will have to ask ourselves what else is out there. Simple example: A Nikon D750 with an existing 2.8/70-200 has many many advantages over a K1 with a one-year delayed 2.8/70-200. The Pentax combo will be MUCH heavier and the footprint of the Pentax will be LARGER (heavier and larger than... is new to Penatx cameras), AF will not reach Nikon standards (camera and lens focusing engine wise). Sure enough Pentax has in body shake reduction and all of us lived with SLOW AF for years, K1 can only be faster.
Summing it up: K1 is a turning point for Pentax placing a camera next to the full Canon, Nikon, Sony, lineup. We lived on promises for years. The next couple months will decide about Pentax' future. Today, I would not invest in a K1, but we are still at a pre-presentation stage. I expect more hard announcements within the next weeks that will most likely convince me.
02-20-2016, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #388
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
: A Nikon D750 with an existing 2.8/70-200 has many many advantages over a K1 with a one-year delayed 2.8/70-200. The Pentax combo will be MUCH heavier and the footprint of the Pentax will be LARGER
Weird example, Zapp.

The D750 is a class below - it's a 24Mp camera without SR when many members already get that resolution from their K-3.

The 810 is a thousand dollars more expensive, still has no SR and is - how did you put it? "LARGER" than the K-1. ☺

And I'm genuinely interested to know if the Nikon 70-200 is any smaller than the Pentax.

Last edited by clackers; 02-20-2016 at 03:46 AM.
02-20-2016, 03:54 AM   #389
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I think it is good to read other opinions and filter yourself. Here we can often read overly enthusiastic reviews of Pentax gear, Ken Rockwell may count for the exact opposite. The answer is somewhere in between. Ken points at a bunch of shortcomings in the Pentax system, most of them are obvious to objective readers. On the other hand he forgets to mention the advantages of Pentax that makes the camera worthwile.
Considering a K1, most of us will need to buy a bunch of new lenses - at least in the long run. The investment will be quite significant and we all will have to ask ourselves what else is out there. Simple example: A Nikon D750 with an existing 2.8/70-200 has many many advantages over a K1 with a one-year delayed 2.8/70-200. The Pentax combo will be MUCH heavier and the footprint of the Pentax will be LARGER (heavier and larger than... is new to Penatx cameras), AF will not reach Nikon standards (camera and lens focusing engine wise). Sure enough Pentax has in body shake reduction and all of us lived with SLOW AF for years, K1 can only be faster.
Summing it up: K1 is a turning point for Pentax placing a camera next to the full Canon, Nikon, Sony, lineup. We lived on promises for years. The next couple months will decide about Pentax' future. Today, I would not invest in a K1, but we are still at a pre-presentation stage. I expect more hard announcements within the next weeks that will most likely convince me.
Ken Rockwell is not objective, he is just a fountain of opinions and he doesn't need facts to get in the way of them. He wrote a "review" of the 645z knocking it down for having too many auto focus points and having too many auto modes -- all without ever even handling one. Here, he just (in bad taste) says that Pentaxians all have Asperger's and they're the only ones who might be satisfied with something so unsatisfactory -- even while he talks up an entry level camera like the D5300.

I think all of us here know that this is not a perfect camera. Clearly Pentax chose not to put a really high frame rate in this camera -- and at 36 megapixels it wasn't likely to be a sports camera anyway. Video is sort of an after thought here as on other Pentax cameras. We don't know enough about auto focus to make a statement, although I would say that AF-S has been excellent in current generation Pentax cameras and it is only AF -C that needed work, hopefully it is better.

It is really tough to compare the K-1 to the D750. They just are such different cameras targeted at different purposes. The D750 is more expensive, has only 24 megapixels, and probably has a weaker build than the K-1. Because it only has 24 megapixels, it is able to shoot faster frame rates. At this point, we don't know about dynamic range, etc but odds are the K-1 will out perform the D750 in low iso situations and be better landscape camera. But based on your analysis, the D810 is a miserable fail, as everything you said about the K-1 pretty much applies to it as well -- plus it is a thousand dollars more expensive than the D750. What gives?

I've rambled on here awhile. I would just say that this is a start. Pentax has tried to create a reasonably priced full frame camera that gives a nice level of performance and allows for automatic function of K mount lenses. There aren't any other cameras out there that fit this bill and if you own (or desire) lenses like the FA limiteds than this is the camera for you. If you need a camera to shoot the Olympics, than it probably isn't (but neither are the D810 or 5D MK III either).
02-20-2016, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #390
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Weird example, Zapp.

The D750 is a class below - it's a 24Mp camera without SR when many members already get that resolution from their K-3.

The 810 is a thousand dollars more expensive, still has no SR and is - how did you put it? "LARGER" than the K-1. ☺

And I'm genuinely interested to know if the Nikon 70-200 is any smaller than the Pentax.
Size seems to be comparable, Nikon 87x209mm and Pentax 91,5x203mm but weight is 1540gr for the Nikon and 2020 for the Pentax.
The Nikon has in lens shake reduction and is slightly cheaper. Both are expensive though.

Edit,
Could we all please stop talk about Ken Rockwell?
I've haven't cared about his ramblings for years, and I still don't care.