Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #406
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sunfog Quote
Dear fellow Pentaxians!
Does anyone know if the O-ME53 Magnifier Eyecup fits the K-1? There is no information on ricoh-imaging.
Highly improbable, although I assume it will mechanically fit. On the one hand, the finder window of the K-1 is bigger than on the APS-C models, while the finder image is much bigger. On the other, the O-ME53 has a slightly narrow view even on my K-5 II. But you might possibly use it when shooting the K-1 in crop mode, although it might be difficult to read the finder infos.

02-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #407
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rai93 Quote
Ugh I've just got into Photography with a DSLR and just from spending the last 2 weeks reading through articles, playing with my K50 and the images in LR, that K1 looks gorgeous. The extra e-dial made me look at my K50 sadly, I definitely love the e-dials on the k50, but an extra one would definitely help. The built in GPS, Wi-Fi, and supported tethering basically make that camera my birthday present next year once the price drops, I've gained more experience, they've worked out any bugs in the firmware, and maybe they'll replace the 2.0 USB with 3.0. Only real downside to me but like I said I'm a newbie :P.
There is *so* much you can do with your K-50. If you really want the K-1 next year, by all means go for it, but - personally - I'd recommend trying to squeeze everything out of the K-50 first. I've never owned one, but there are plenty on here that do, and it is rightly considered to be an excellent camera
02-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #408
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There is *so* much you can do with your K-50. If you really want the K-1 next year, by all means go for it, but - personally - I'd recommend trying to squeeze everything out of the K-50 first. I've never owned one, but there are plenty on here that do, and it is rightly considered to be an excellent camera
The only real drawback from the K50 is AF performance: it struggle in low light and is not precise enough for narrow deph of field portraits. To me AF is an area where a high end system really help the newcomer. But that the same issue with eveything Pentax has outside K3, K3-II and now K1.

But I agree with you 100% that K1 is likely not the way to go. A decent K1 kit like 24-70 + 70-200 even going third party that more like 4000-5000$. If you are quite wealthy and enthousiast about photography, that's justified. Otherwise well getting a K3 for a bargain on the occasion with a 17-50 and 55-300 is more like 1200$... That already quite some sum but much more logical for many.
02-20-2016, 01:18 PM - 5 Likes   #409

QuoteOriginally posted by thegoderic Quote
Can we all agree that Ken Rockwell is an idiot.

Ken Rockwell's Photography News
Hey, I have Aspergers and LOVE collecting old manual lenses, so yes I do take personal offense at his "news" article.

02-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #410
Site Supporter

We are many in that case
Getting an even worst desease called Lens Buy Addiction... but Ken seems immune to that
02-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #411
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The only real drawback from the K50 is AF performance: it struggle in low light and is not precise enough for narrow deph of field portraits. To me AF is an area where a high end system really help the newcomer. But that the same issue with eveything Pentax has outside K3, K3-II and now K1.

But I agree with you 100% that K1 is likely not the way to go. A decent K1 kit like 24-70 + 70-200 even going third party that more like 4000-5000$. If you are quite wealthy and enthousiast about photography, that's justified. Otherwise well getting a K3 for a bargain on the occasion with a 17-50 and 55-300 is more like 1200$... That already quite some sum but much more logical for many.
Yes. I was mainly thinking from the point of view that the poster described him- (or her-) self as a newbie who'd just got the K50. You're right about the AF improvements on the K3 onwards, but I still regularly use my backup K5 with excellent results. The AF isn't quite as good as the K3, but it's reliable enough in reasonably good light.

But, as you also say, if funds for the K1 + FF lenses aren't an issue, then why not?
02-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #412
Pentaxian

as has been mentioned there are loads of threads, so I can't keep up with all of them, but one thing I've not seen in any video is the unmarked knob in use - do we have confirmation of what this actually does?
02-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #413
Site Supporter

As expected i guess.
Kenspo could easily answer

02-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #414
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
We are many in that case
Getting an even worst desease called Lens Buy Addiction... but Ken seems immune to that
DK anything about the autism spectrum, but I must be un-diagnosed OCD because I'm certainly LBA.

On a somewhat more serious note, using old lenses on a modern camera is a perfectly justifiable hobby for an aspirational photographer. It's part of the fun, same as using old fly fishing equipment instead of carbon graphite rods, or fixing and driving old cars. Figuring out how to focus them, how to control (any) CA that might appear, how to process files to correct their faults; feeling joy using something (more) hand-assembled than current products; thinking about the faceless Pentax company man sitting at an assembly table in the 60's or 70's - all of that is part of the fun.

There's a curse at the back of my throat. If that makes me a Bitter Clinger then bring it on.

Ken Rockwell is a crank.
02-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #415
Pentaxian

36 megapixels might be a little to much for some older computers to handle. A friend of mine had to buy a new Apple after he purchased a higher megapixel DSLR camera. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
02-20-2016, 03:00 PM   #416
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
36 megapixels might be a little to much for some older computers to handle.
True. But anyone who has made panorama images, or processed/stored video (which is a lot of people in this YouTube age), probably already has enough computer to handle 36MP.

There's also always the solution to slow hardware I recall from my days of downloading stuff via a dial-up modem: start your computer on a task, go and make a cup of coffee, walk the dog, come back to computer, job done.
02-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #417
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
But I realize that K1 is simply the best FF ever for landscape/outdoor. There no single FF out there even the A7R-II that match it for that setup.
Interesting observation considering that Pentax themselves make a point of calling the K-1 a "field camera". They say that repeatedly on the new K-1 site. So apparently they agree with you. And so do I. No camera can do everything the best, it appears Pentax focused on being the best 'field camera'.
02-20-2016, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #418
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
36 megapixels might be a little to much for some older computers to handle. A friend of mine had to buy a new Apple after he purchased a higher megapixel DSLR camera. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Why do you think its some kind of limit to how many Mp they can handle? Its all a matter of patience. 36 Mp would just take 50% longer to load, process and store. I presume most people use at least 10x more time to evaluate, select the right tools and buttons, take a step back, think out the next step and so on. That makes the whole process at most 5% longer compared to a 24 Mp image.
02-20-2016, 03:42 PM   #419
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
as has been mentioned there are loads of threads, so I can't keep up with all of them, but one thing I've not seen in any video is the unmarked knob in use - do we have confirmation of what this actually does?
The two new wheels work together. One you make a choice with..ISO, Crop, Bracketing etc. And with the unmarked know, you change the settings quickly. Its fast and brilliant. Love this function
02-20-2016, 04:17 PM - 2 Likes   #420
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
True. But anyone who has made panorama images, or processed/stored video (which is a lot of people in this YouTube age), probably already has enough computer to handle 36MP.

There's also always the solution to slow hardware I recall from my days of downloading stuff via a dial-up modem: start your computer on a task, go and make a cup of coffee, walk the dog, come back to computer, job done.
i run a 2008 iMac.... which is slow...... I'd replace it if time was money, but for me these days it's not. i've done all the possible internal up grades and can get by. Storage wise, a 2 second burst on a K3 is going to take up more space then the same on a K-1.

I believe I will need to upgrade my brains "delete bad photo" algorithm though. I'm a hoarder of bad photos.