Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #496

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
it has hit our market at D810 prices not 750 prices....
Weirdly enough, considering the exchange rate, it's more that the d750 and d810 are cheap here. (the d750 price at DCW - subtract 10% gst and convert comes to just over 1500usd. Or the d810: gerry gibs price minus gst comes to about 2100usd!) Perhaps Nikon brought in a good stock when the AUD was much higher??? In any case, while the AU comparative value hasn't materialised, it's more complex than just the K1 being priced high.

02-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #497
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jyndi Quote
Weirdly enough, considering the exchange rate, it's more that the d750 and d810 are cheap here. (the d750 price at DCW - subtract 10% gst and convert comes to just over 1500usd. Or the d810: gerry gibs price minus gst comes to about 2100usd!) Perhaps Nikon brought in a good stock when the AUD was much higher??? In any case, while the AU comparative value hasn't materialised, it's more complex than just the K1 being priced high.

And the K-1 is at its launch price (complete with whatever they reckon an early adopters tax is worth) versus a product long into its sales cycle (the D810).

The D750 is only 24Mp and you get that with your K-3, BTW.
02-23-2016, 03:42 AM   #498
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by macronaut Quote
Australian price has dropped to $2,899.00. My order is going in.
POW !

Yesterday I complain, today they've dropped the price for $289. But its still too much !

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I am disappointed as well. Forgetting all the exchange factor waffle, in simple terms, it has hit our market at D810 prices not 750 prices.... so no compelling proposition for non Pentaxers ...... yes it will probally come down a bit in the months to come, and the D810 has been on the market a while, but effectively the wow value splash has been negated in this market.....which has been one of the brand values in the past.
What ever price they settle on, thats where it'll stay for a couple of years.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
A few things:

- Prices in US are before taxes. You typically pay more than that.
- There many more people in the US meaning you get economies of scale everywhere compared to smaller markets
- Price also adapt to average cost/earning of the countries. Thing far cheaper in India or China than europe or US. And Australian people have more money on average than US people.

Looking at global statistics australian people have more money on average... but once corrected of what they can get with it, they are in fact overall getting less than what a typical US citizen get.

All in all, maybe its only Pentax that is expensive for camera, but it does look like it was to be expected and that on average you pay more to get things in Australia. Maybe you don't like it, but it is like that... Not really Pentax fault.
I've been to the US, in California there was a 17% VAT on electronics. While there is no federal sales tax or VAT, individual states will have sales taxes. Just a quick search finds that at B&H in New York, the state sales tax of 8.875% local sales tax applies to purchases within the state. Orders outside the state should incur sales tax payable to the local state tax revenue offices - I'm assuming.

Australias GST and B&H's price should not be THAT far off as I originally complained. But today they knocked off $289 bucks ! I mean how in the heck can they justify the way they set prices ? How do they explain how they've just knocked off $289 bucks. $289 bucks is a lot of money, you can get 1.5 to 2.5 weeks worth of groceries with $289 bucks. Now I do feel sorry for the folks who yesterday paid $3188, and if they find out that they've been RIPPED-OFF today, I'd be fuming !

This saga over this pre-order price has really opened my eyes to CR Kennedy. A Teds camera store reopened in my area, I walked in asking if they'll be getting the new K-S1 and any other Pentax models. They said the Pentax sales rep is a joke, and they're still waiting for Pentax display materials for their cases. A few weeks later the store said they won't carry Pentax in their display cases anymore.

So as far as I can tell, the Pentax sales rep, who is the CR Kennedy guy/gal, is the one who's dropped the ball. But wait, CR Kennedy is the distributor for Sigma lenses and Tokina Lenses, and yet, all the Sigma display paraphernalia is in the store cases.

I think CR Kennedy is not interested in selling Pentax. I think their tactic is to really push the Sigma brand. As for Pentax, it can just sit on the shelves until the sore owners abandon the brand ........ which they have several years ago.

So where does that leave Pentax and CR Kennedy ? If you're a Pentaxian, Pentax cameras become a niche product, and they'll JACK UP THE PRICES willy-nilly ! They'll try to put Leica prices on a Pentax ..... or at least try. I mean what-cha-gonna-do ? Order from B&H and have a grey market camera, do you really want that, you know the trouble with sending things through international post for warranty repairs.

I mean come on Pentax ! There's Ricoh sales and service for printers, and business machines, why not pull Pentax from CR Kennedy, and put Pentax under the Ricoh business machines wing. Most of the infrastructure should already be there.

CR Kennedy aren't even trying and they're taking us Pentaxians for SUCKERS ! I'll never forget returning my Sigma lens to CR Kennedy, and it came back as if nobody even looked at it.
02-23-2016, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #499
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
! I'll never forget returning my Sigma lens to CR Kennedy, and it came back as if nobody even looked at it.
Somehow, that doesn't surprise me. They "tested" my Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 for de-centering by shooting a brick wall on a Pentax K7 at 1/250th ISO400 f/11. All they had to do was look at the lens test data I sent them, which I obtained from my optics bench...but no, according to them the lens was "within tolerances".

How do they explain how they've just knocked off $289 bucks.
The fact that they have done that is pretty much an admission they were artificially inflating the price.

Over the past two years CRK have done a fantastic job of delivering sub-standard service. The guys who handle NPS and CPS repairs here get the job done, and in less than a few days.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-23-2016 at 04:14 AM.
02-23-2016, 06:20 AM   #500
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been to the US, in California there was a 17% VAT on electronics. While there is no federal sales tax or VAT, individual states will have sales taxes. Just a quick search finds that at B&H in New York, the state sales tax of 8.875% local sales tax applies to purchases within the state. Orders outside the state should incur sales tax payable to the local state tax revenue offices - I'm assuming.
Technically you are supposed to pay the sales tax (use tax) if you order from B&H and you don't live in NY, but most people don't.

The MSRP for this lens was probably set close to 2 years ago with expectation of what exchange rates would be and countries have gotten stupid with their currencies.
02-23-2016, 06:58 AM   #501

I've been to the US, in California there was a 17% VAT on electronics.
California sales tax (which is not the same as a VAT) is 7.5%. Counties and cities can enact local taxes of up to 2.5%. So 10% is the highest sales tax rate in California.
02-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #502
Pentaxian

$289 bucks is a lot of money, you can get 1.5 to 2.5 weeks worth of groceries with $289 bucks.
I don't think one should pre-order an expensive high end camera if he is after optimizing what he get with his money. Electronics typically don't hold its value and quite likely you could pay half that price in 1-2 years buying used for the same product. And for 1/4th to 1/10th of the price, you could likely get a used camera that may not be FF or latest generation but would still does 90% of what the K1 does.

For most people, counting how much the K-1 represent in the number of day they must work to get the amount of money necessary to get it would be quite depressive. For the same price you could get an old used car that could serve you a few years.

One should be honest with himself what he is after and act accordingly.

I mean how in the heck can they justify the way they set prices ?
They don't have to justify anything I think. Isn't Autralia a country were everybody can set the price he want?

On Amazon the price of same ltd lens can vary from 400 to 550€ from one day to the next and price and change at any moment... Usually the DA12-24 is sold for more than 800€ but if you were buying it at some shop that wanted to get rid of Pentax stock at the right time, you could have it for less than 400. They also sold 16-50 for 350€ instead of 900.

The D810 in france is sold in some shops at 2169€ and in others 3200€ theses days. But used if you can content yourself with a D800 instead (not that different) you could get it used for as low as 1350€.

At some point the K30 + 18-135 was sold for 400 while the lens alone is typically asking for 350€ and even a used K30 at that time was selling for 300€. If you'd brought and resell, you'd make a profit.
02-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #503
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some interesting comments from others..............!

The comments are really good, they explain the good of the K-1.

diglloyd - Blog

02-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #504

I'll sit back and watch this one for a while unless of course Ricoh wants to get a few out in pro hands for exposure.
Are you reading this Pentax North America? I'll be shooting Leon Russell , Blackberry Smoke and Joe Satrianni next month.
02-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #505
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Floggin Rodger Quote
I'll sit back and watch this one for a while unless of course Ricoh wants to get a few out in pro hands for exposure.
Are you reading this Pentax North America? I'll be shooting Leon Russell , Blackberry Smoke and Joe Satrianni next month.
Do you need any help?
02-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #506
Loyal Site Supporter

The depreciation of a K-1 during the months I get to use it, versus waiting to buy it at a lower price, is equivalent to 'rent' for the period, since I used the K-1 instead of something else for all those months.
02-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #507
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The depreciation of a K-1 during the months I get to use it, versus waiting to buy it at a lower price, is equivalent to 'rent' for the period, since I used the K-1 instead of something else for all those months.
You rent something actually today waiting for K-1?
02-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #508

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Do you need any help?
I might go 6 months without shooting anyone but when it rains , it pours.
02-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #509
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am waiting for you beta testers to discover the bugs like flappy mirrors, sensor stains, light leaks etc.. In the mean time saving a few hundred and a world of aggravation.
02-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #510
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
You rent something actually today waiting for K-1?
Either you use time or time uses you.