Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 570 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 03:42 PM   #511
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
What I find odd is it runs 60 FPS interlaced, why not just unlock the progressive mode for it? Of course if we had a bigger userbase we could have had Pentax firmware hacked by now to just put in the feature ourselves but I can't help but be a bit confused why it wouldn't be that way out of the box

Still though, looks like a great camera. I have a feeling this will be a very popular camera by every day enthusiasts.
60 frames a second takes more processor power and generates more heat than 60 fields a second (= 30 frames a sec). They almost certainly would have had to develop or buy in a new video processor and maybe redesign the camera itself because of that. It would have added to the cost, probably caused further delay and perhaps made it a bit larger too (for heat dissipation).

So they focussed on still photography and squeezed everything they could get out of that, dropping in what seems to be video from the K-3. Better video will sadly have to wait for now, but I can see why they did it. To get a February 2016 launch and a competitive price. If it came down to say GPS versus better video, well GPS was always going to win that one as it complements and adds value to other sub-systems in the camera.

Last edited by Dave L; 02-23-2016 at 03:49 PM.
02-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #512
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Australian K-1 price has been announced. CR Kennedy is taking pre-orders at AU$2899. On current exchange rates that equates about US$2050 or Euro 1895. So I guess we fall somewhere in the middle - more than the US but less than Europe. I don't think I will be getting one for a while but it is not the remote possibility it once seemed.
02-23-2016, 04:10 PM   #513
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
The Australian K-1 price has been announced. CR Kennedy is taking pre-orders at AU$2899. On current exchange rates that equates about US$2050 or Euro 1895. So I guess we fall somewhere in the middle - more than the US but less than Europe. I don't think I will be getting one for a while but it is not the remote possibility it once seemed.
Without taxes it's about the same, PJ1.
02-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #514
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Without taxes it's about the same, PJ1
Only if you go on the proposed 15% GST rate that has now been dumped. But CR Kennedy sometimes has a 15% off day ..... (I got my K-3 from them that way with their "Black Friday" offer in 2014.)

(Did my sums again - you are right, Clackers. We are in the ball park.)

Last edited by PJ1; 02-23-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Correction
02-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #515
Veteran Member

$2899 in the land of the Australia tax.
02-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #516
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Add between 8% and 10% to the published US price to account for tax. We don't have a national tax. They're all local, and different in each locality.
02-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #517
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Only if you go on the proposed 15% GST rate that has now been dumped. But CR Kennedy sometimes has a 15% off day ..... (I got my K-3 from them that way with their "Black Friday" offer in 2014.)

(Did my sums again - you are right, Clackers. We are in the ball park.)

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to me to purchase from Adorama/B&H or whatever, yet.

At the current prices, it's similar, and because it's more than $1000 you have to pay GST anyway (plus whatever additional import tax there might be - I've no idea), postage on top of that, and you end up with something that doesn't have local warranty anyway!

Full frame cameras are pricier than the cropped ones in *all* brands, so while I am pained at the cost involved, too, it's agreed it's a great one.

The kicking of our local distributor seems a bit tough on them, too. It's the job of the retailers to sell at RRP, and for the wholesaler they order from not to undercut them with their own sales.

You cannot buy from Pentax USA at all, as I understand it. They would say find a retailer.

Our B&Ms have online presences, too, it's up to us to barter with them.

Last edited by clackers; 02-23-2016 at 05:43 PM.
02-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #518
Pentaxian

Shelby or Greensboro? I was wondering where in Eastern NC those three would play. I'm sure Kenspo will be displaying some of his concert work fairly soon.
02-23-2016, 05:54 PM   #519
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You cannot buy from Pentax USA at all, as I understand it. They would say find a retailer.
Pentax USA has an online Webstore that has been contracted out to a third-party provider (it is thought RIUSA is building an own-manged store).

The Pentax Webstore sells a somewhat limited catalog of all the cameras bodies and most of the lenses, but not everything in the Japanese catalog. Prices are held at List so the don't compete with their retailers, but they do run an advertised (by email) special every so often.
02-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #520
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Prices are held at List so the don't compete with their retailers, but they do run an advertised (by email) special every so often.
Thanks for the info, Monochrome.

It's similar in Australia.

I think the moment that what's left of the retail presence here thinks CR Kennedy (the contract holders) will compete with them instead of supply them, that's it as far as they're concerned.

CRK are also the official repairers, so they're the Precision equivalent I guess.

Quite a few hats ... they're the Sigma and Leica importers too, along with surveying optics, etc.
02-23-2016, 06:40 PM   #521
Veteran Member

the Sigma and Leica importers too
And Hasselblad. And Metz. And Tokina.

They have a lot of points of product competition with Ricoh within their distribution portfolio.
02-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #522
Veteran Member

According to B&H, looks like the K-1 has been pushed back to April 22. Originally it was showing April 6.
02-23-2016, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #523
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I am a tad dissapointed they couldn't even just force the damn thing to run video at 60 FPS though.
Among purist cinematographers 24fps is all you need.
02-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #524
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
According to B&H, looks like the K-1 has been pushed back to April 22. Originally it was showing April 6.
A larger number of buyers than anticipated? The production lines are running, what else could it be?
02-23-2016, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #525
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
COOL!!!

Demand is outstripping supply, just like 645z.

My 'permission date' is August. I hope they're caught up.