Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #556
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
There's no reason to delay a camera because of the firmware. Just provide a firmware update soon after launch.
Sure it is. Look at the K-01. Poor AF performance was near the top of the gripes list not only from users but also reviewers. Had the K-01 been launched with the 1.03 firmware that dramatically improved AF performance, reviews would have been kinder.

"You only have one chance to make a first impression."

02-24-2016, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #557
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
...There are simply are a few models of Ricoh Imaging cameras with the name Pentax on the front...

Don't say it so directly please! You may break somebody's feelings!

I thank you Ricoh for rescuing Pentax, otherwise, it would have gone broke (I am guessing here!). I hope Ricoh brings new blood of technology. Do not forget that Pentax started as: Asahi Kogaku, and they produced the Takumars for the Asahiflex cameras. Then, the Spotmatic came along with more Takumars, etc, etc. So, Ricoh Pentax sounds good to me.

02-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #558
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I know Fuji gets all the love for being good at enhancing their cameras via regular firmware updates, but Fuji are relative newcomers to that game. Ricoh itself has been doing the same thing, for far longer than Fuji. People only noticed Fuji's firmware updates when they rolled out the X series of cameras, but Ricoh have a tradition of doing great firmware updates too (adding new features and customizations), since the very beginning of the GR and GXR lines. Just look at the current GR - it's up to firmware v5.0 already, and it's full of all sorts of new menu options, new features etc.

So if Pentax wanted to emulate anyone in terms of regularly providing 'rich' firmware updates to their cameras, they don't need to look far for inspiration.
Kind of like adding astrotracing to all sensor moving cameras via a firmware update.

Haha oh wait they never did that.
02-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #559
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote

I thank you Ricoh for rescuing Pentax, otherwise, it would have gone broke (I am guessing here!). I hope Ricoh brings new blood of technology. Do not forget that Pentax started as: Asahi Kogaku, and they produced the Takumars for the Asahiflex cameras. Then, the Spotmatic came along with more Takumars, etc, etc. So, Ricoh Pentax sounds good to me.

And funnily enough, Ricoh's camera subsidiary was once known as Asahi Kōgaku Kōgyō, no relation!

02-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #560
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
That's okay. They can be put back together with gaffer's tape.
02-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #561
Site Supporter

Nikon

Nippon Kogaku was Nikon!
02-24-2016, 03:25 PM   #562
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Kind of like adding astrotracing to all sensor moving cameras via a firmware update.

Haha oh wait they never did that.
Without GPS?
02-24-2016, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #563
Loyal Site Supporter

Why do people keep talking about "Pentax" like it is some independent entity. There is no company called Pentax. There is no separate team within Ricoh Imaging called "Pentax." There are simply are a few models of Ricoh Imaging cameras with the name Pentax on the front.

I think it's a little more than that, DCshooter.

Ricoh are the *owners*. They acquired the factories in the Philippines, Vietnam, and presumably the workforce.

The background story on the special K-1 website suggests that longtime Pentax employees put the FF together, not existing Ricoh guys. They talk about having a decade of the project being shelved and then being told, go for it!

One of the three managers was tasked with getting the bare necessity lens lineup ready for launch, presumably saw they had the engineering ability to do one by that time (70-200) and outsourced the remaining two excellent, proven zooms to Tamron.

Would have helped that Jun Hirakawa was over there.

02-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #564
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I mean, would you like to shoot with your camera now, even if it's not all smooth sailing, and get a fix for that in a few months, or wait a few months without a camera?
Sure, but we were dicussing 16 days... and I was not all that serious.
02-24-2016, 04:12 PM   #565
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Without GPS?
With the device that both gives you GPS and Astrotracing function that for some reason doesn't work on cameras it should because Ricoh decided not to let them.
02-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #566
Pentaxian

Ricoh are much much more than the owners, which implies some kind of autonomous existence for Pentx.

The news out of Ricoh a couple of years ago was that the engineering departments were merged and fully integrated, difficulties stemming which gave rise to the whole period of "growing pains" experienced after the merger. Management has been fully integrated. Ditto software development. Ditto the foreign distributorships Some of the formerly Pentax cameras (notably the WG series and theta) were rebranded Ricoh. The only cameras, Ricoh or Pentax branded, not being made by the integrated group are the ones farmed out to Asia Optical. Yeah, some lenses are being made in the Tamron factory under a licensing agreement, but that only reinforces my point. Sure, some of the former "Pentax guys" are working on the DSLR projects. But that's because they are the guys with DSLR experience, nothing more. Pentax isn't even its own division of Ricoh Imaging, a la Chevrolet vis a vis General motors. In the consumer optics field, Pentax is nothing more than a brand name for a line of Ricoh Imaging camera equipment.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think it's a little more than that, DCshooter.

Ricoh are the *owners*. They acquired the factories in the Philippines, Vietnam, and presumably the workforce.

The background story on the special K-1 website suggests that longtime Pentax employees put the FF together, not existing Ricoh guys. They talk about having a decade of the project being shelved and then being told, go for it!

One of the three managers was tasked with getting the bare necessity lens lineup ready for launch, presumably saw they had the engineering ability to do one by that time (70-200) and outsourced the remaining two excellent, proven zooms to Tamron.

Would have helped that Jun Hirakawa was over there.
02-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #567

Ricoh are much much more than the owners, which implies some kind of autonomous existence for Pentx.

The news out of Ricoh a couple of years ago was that the engineering departments were merged and fully integrated, difficulties stemming which gave rise to the whole period of "growing pains" experienced after the merger. Management has been fully integrated. Ditto software development. Ditto the foreign distributorships Some of the formerly Pentax cameras (notably the WG series and theta) were rebranded Ricoh. The only cameras, Ricoh or Pentax branded, not being made by the integrated group are the ones farmed out to Asia Optical. Yeah, some lenses are being made in the Tamron factory under a licensing agreement, but that only reinforces my point. Sure, some of the former "Pentax guys" are working on the DSLR projects. But that's because they are the guys with DSLR experience, nothing more. Pentax isn't even its own division of Ricoh Imaging, a la Chevrolet vis a vis General motors. In the consumer optics field, Pentax is nothing more than a brand name for a line of Ricoh Imaging camera equipment.
But it is more than just any old brand, much more. It is a brand with a long history and a valuable heritage, which Ricoh has decided to build upon and are trrying hard to make successful in the long term. Owned by and integrated into Ricoh it may be, well is, but they appear to be continuing this valuable brand as a business unit within Ricoh, having absorbed the smaller Ricoh camera unit into it, rather than the other way round.

The Pentax brand is far from just a label stuck on camera job lots bought in from any number of other companies as many old electronics and optical brands have sadly become these days. Let's hope Pentax doesn't end up like that and let's not talk them down unnecessarily as you seem to be doing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with referring to "Pentax says", "Pentax does" or "Pentax has released" as some members do. Nothing wrong at all... but we all well know that it's really Ricoh!

Last edited by Dave L; 02-24-2016 at 06:40 PM.
02-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #568
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no more Pentax as a corporate culture. There is a Ricoh corporate culture, structure, values, vision and process. Pentax is a brand. The customer-facing identifiers have been preserved (no more Ricoh on the backs of Pentax cameras) but internally the company is Ricoh Imaging.
02-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #569
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I am just trying to figure out how a certain auction site has a seller listing the K-1 saying they have QTY (5) available in stock to ship, for like $500 OVER list price for the buy it now...

Can anyone explain that? I'm thinking a con-artist selling pre-orders very over-priced? Vapor ware?

Eric
That's for sure surprising... above all shipping from the US.
Frequently, it appeared one or two japanese e-bay seller's for new Pentax products, and i have tried them on a few occasions, with no problem.
I will not try this time because of additionnal VAT and import taxes in Europe, but it doesn't seem to be waporware.
02-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #570
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax is nothing more than a brand name for a line of Ricoh Imaging camera equipment.

It was always a brand name, DCshooter, whether for Asahi, Hoya or Ricoh, and there were only five years out of nearly sixty in its history where the actual company was called 'Pentax'.