Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #676
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Barney also likes the K-1:
I was so disappointed. I was expecting the REAL Barney and you gave us some guy I've never heard of. For others as disappointed as me, let me correct your post......

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=vmn&type=vmn__webcompa__1_0__ya__ch_WCYID..._yaff&p=barney

Regards!

02-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #677
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Amateur Photographer:
02-27-2016, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #678
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
We need a new metric. Line widths per picture height is good, but we need something more.
People used to argue about which peppers were hotter than which; but we now have Scoville Heat Units. A standardized quantifier.
We need something similar for lenses as an adjunct to LW/PH. We need a quantifiable, standardized Pixie Dust Unit.True lens performance could then be expressed as LW/PH x PDUs.
Have no fear regarding the FA43's performance wide open.

In field tests of the FA43 conducted over a period of two decades, the lens at f2.8 returned a strong value of 75 units for "pixie dust magic", with the value steadily increasing as the aperture opened up, finally hitting well in excess of 100 units at f1.9 (wide open), ie. beyond the sensor's ability to resolve.

Lots more to a good lens than just sharpness.

Dunno, when wide open, I'm gunning for very shallow depth-of-field to isolate the main subject from its periphery. Never had any issues with central sharpness, whereas the issue of edge sharpness does not arise.

Indeed in this context, the main issue, aesthetically speaking, isn't sharpness per se. The 43 wide open will give you sufficient subject sharpness alright. But here we're talkin' major rendering and "mood"; "pixie magic" time.

Last edited by KDAFA; 02-27-2016 at 10:20 AM.
02-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #679
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So how is today any different from when a small number of print magazines did the reviews, and used lens dealers sent mimeographed 'catalogs' in the mail?
You don't need to go back to the 3 year old review on that magazine for that lens and compare it with another review from another issue, maybe not even same magazine brand, having to buy all issues for a few years as to get an overview of how most common gear perform.

There was no imatest, no way to download the high resolution sample image and there was no way to see any difference on a 4x6" or 5x8" picture anyway. Ultimately, it was known that if you wanted sharpness, medium/large format was the way to go as film was the limiting factor anyway. i don't speak of the very high resolution figure film manage with 2-3% contrast, but more MTF50.

02-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #680
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I was so disappointed. I was expecting the REAL Barney and you gave us some guy I've never heard of. For others as disappointed as me, let me correct your post......

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=vmn&type=vmn__webcompa__1_0__ya__ch_WCYID..._yaff&p=barney

Regards!
Maybe because you were banned from dpreview years ago for doing squirrelly stuff?? He didn't used to have a beard

By the way I am not familiar with your Barney. This Barney however would be my real Barney.
02-27-2016, 03:59 PM - 2 Likes   #681
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
For sure, with HD coating
Who the hell wants HD coating on the DFA limiteds?
There is a hybrid coating of HD on SMC known as AEROBRIGHT II and its even better!
Only the best coating is worthy for FA limited update.
02-27-2016, 05:19 PM   #682
Pentaxian

Well, if you mean HD like on HD D-FA*70-200/2.8, i agree.

02-27-2016, 06:36 PM   #683
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
All markets are different and there's not a lot any of us can do about it really..
Yeah there's nothing anybody can do about it ! Hitler invaded Czechoslovakia, nothing anybody could do about it ! Saddam Hussien invaded Kuwait, uh! what can you do about that ! Just accept it hey ! lo

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
The nikon stock in australia would have been shipped and priced before the bottom dropped out of the Aussie dollar.
Good point, but it is an assumption, based on stock being 12 months old, and I would assume stock could be imported every 3 months, but we're only speculating. But a D750 at $2297AUD translates to $1636USD ........seems like the Americans are getting ripped off to the tune of $360USD bucks !

For the K-1 the US pays $1796 + 10% GST = $1975USD, converted to $2771AUD and a street price of $2899 = Australia pays roughly $128AUD more than the US for the K-1 ........ Still getting ripped off ! No way I'd call that fair.

I'm sort of doubting a lot of this exchange rate stuff, from time to time it seems like it relates to price, and at other times it doesn't. Take for instance Ed at Photouniverse. He was happy as the USD rose in value and camera prices came down ........ So where does that leave this Nikon D750 price in the US. The Aussie dollar fell against every major currency, and yet the D750 is cheaper than in USD terms. Or is it that the D750 is such a popular camera, that Nikon feels it can just charge what ever it wants to US customers, and they just jump out of the water into the boat.

So its exchange rate versus (Answer = ripp-off). I still think answer = ripp-off.

Pluuuuuus Nikon has been continuously giving cashback offers on the D600, D610 and D750. The oil spray issue is well known on the D600 and D610, and perhaps the Nikon D750 is an orphan after that debacle. In the US, Nikon got sued and they had to fix the problem, here in Aus Nikon is still trying to off-load these SLOS (Single Lens Oil Squirter) to Aussie customers at huge discounts. Who's to know, it may be that Nikon is using Australia as a dumping ground for their defective products, I'm just speculating. Or Sony really kick some behind with the A7, and they all went into cashback mode, and they did do that a lot !

I think exchange rates play a small part in it, and the rest is demand, and competition from Sony stealing canikon thunder.

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
IMO, the answer is simple: the K-1 hasn't even hit shelves yet, and the D750 has been out for what, over a year and a half?

The stock and pace of shelf-flying-off is a known situation for the D750, so that price has stabilized at whatever the market dictates.

The K-1 hasn't even begun selling yet, or shipping. So who knows, maybe it was so popular in AUS that immediate pre-orders were through the roof, or at least sufficient to consume an entire first shipment, in which case, they can get away with waiting 6-12 months before dropping the price further.

So, if you want a K-1 but are simply miffed by the fact that it currently costs more than a D750, ...wait six months?
No I'm ticked off because they initially priced the K-1 at $3188 inline with the Nikon D810 and Canon 5D mark3 price. Inspite of all the great features of the K-1, you can't put a camera with 33 AF points and low lens ecosystem against canikon. If it had 133 AF points and a full compliment of superb pro-grade telephotos for sport and wildlife, then yeah, charge what ever you want like canikon. But Sony is just simply gonna under-cut everybodies prices with theA7 range IMO.
02-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #684
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Yeah there's nothing anybody can do about it ! Hitler invaded Czechoslovakia, nothing anybody could do about it ! Saddam Hussien invaded Kuwait, uh! what can you do about that ! Just accept it hey ! lo
Free market forces is hardly comparable to fascist dictatorships now, is it! Get enough people to support you and complain and you can, of course, can change things. But I know the feeling, the UK-US differential was so bad when I first got into Pentax (with an ME) that it was considerably cheaper for me to import my M-100mm lens from the States even when adding import duty, postage costs and value added tax. It's still there but has reduced to the point where it's not usually worthwhile making such imports, it does sound worse in Oz though I have to admit.
02-27-2016, 11:15 PM   #685
Veteran Member

Good point, but it is an assumption, based on stock being 12 months old, and I would assume stock could be imported every 3 months, but we're only speculating. But a D750 at $2297AUD translates to $1636USD ........seems like the Americans are getting ripped off to the tune of $360USD bucks !

For the K-1 the US pays $1796 + 10% GST = $1975USD, converted to $2771AUD and a street price of $2899 = Australia pays roughly $128AUD more than the US for the K-1 ........ Still getting ripped off ! No way I'd call that fair.

I'm sort of doubting a lot of this exchange rate stuff, from time to time it seems like it relates to price, and at other times it doesn't. Take for instance Ed at Photouniverse. He was happy as the USD rose in value and camera prices came down ........ So where does that leave this Nikon D750 price in the US. The Aussie dollar fell against every major currency, and yet the D750 is cheaper than in USD terms. Or is it that the D750 is such a popular camera, that Nikon feels it can just charge what ever it wants to US customers, and they just jump out of the water into the boat.

So its exchange rate versus (Answer = ripp-off). I still think answer = ripp-off.

Pluuuuuus Nikon has been continuously giving cashback offers on the D600, D610 and D750. The oil spray issue is well known on the D600 and D610, and perhaps the Nikon D750 is an orphan after that debacle. In the US, Nikon got sued and they had to fix the problem, here in Aus Nikon is still trying to off-load these SLOS (Single Lens Oil Squirter) to Aussie customers at huge discounts. Who's to know, it may be that Nikon is using Australia as a dumping ground for their defective products, I'm just speculating. Or Sony really kick some behind with the A7, and they all went into cashback mode, and they did do that a lot !

I think exchange rates play a small part in it, and the rest is demand, and competition from Sony stealing canikon thunder.

No I'm ticked off because they initially priced the K-1 at $3188 inline with the Nikon D810 and Canon 5D mark3 price. Inspite of all the great features of the K-1, you can't put a camera with 33 AF points and low lens ecosystem against canikon. If it had 133 AF points and a full compliment of superb pro-grade telephotos for sport and wildlife, then yeah, charge what ever you want like canikon. But Sony is just simply gonna under-cut everybodies prices with theA7 range IMO.
The cheapest shipping for a K1 from BH is 53 dollars. Call it US$1850. So at the current exchange rate of 71c you save $30 dollars australian shipping from US.
On the 8th of feb or there about the dollar was a 69.8 and it would have cost you $15 more to buy from US.
Meanwhile there is a stack of pentax lenses whose prices have yet to be re adjusted and are an absolute steal!
And that is before you potentially knock of a bit by shopping around!
02-27-2016, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #686
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
The cheapest shipping for a K1 from BH is 53 dollars. Call it US$1850. So at the current exchange rate of 71c you save $30 dollars australian shipping from US.
With no local warranty.

Enough of this nonsense.

Of course pain is involved in amateurs buying expensive gear they can't claim as a tax deduction, charge to clients, etc.

I'm not sure how I'll make it happen. Haven't ruled out kidney selling or white slavery.
02-27-2016, 11:56 PM   #687
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
Free market forces is hardly comparable to fascist dictatorships now, is it!
Lots of folks were like, "oh, what cha gonna do about it".

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Of course pain is involved in amateurs buying expensive gear they can't claim as a tax deduction, charge to clients, etc.

I'm not sure how I'll make it happen. Haven't ruled out kidney selling or white slavery.
Hey at least you got a plan !

All I know is, I wasn't planning on getting a K-1, but now I'm kinda interested, but I'll wait till its cheaper. If it doesn't go below the price of a nikon D750 I won't bother. After all there are Sony A7's out there for under $1000AUD, but I ain't that desperate ......... yet !
02-28-2016, 04:23 AM   #688
Veteran Member

There is lots of price hunt and compare services, usually constricted to one country at a time. We should start an international comparison of K-1 prices converted to USD without taxes.

------------------------------ Please copy this and add the lowest price in your country, converted to USD and subtracted taxes ------------------------------
Norway: Feb. 28. 2016, 1842 USD

------------------------------ Please copy this and add the lowest price in your country, converted to USD and subtracted taxes ------------------------------

Last edited by Simen1; 02-28-2016 at 04:30 AM.
02-28-2016, 04:40 AM   #689
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

No I'm ticked off because they initially priced the K-1 at $3188 inline with the Nikon D810 and Canon 5D mark3 price. Inspite of all the great features of the K-1, you can't put a camera with 33 AF points and low lens ecosystem against canikon.
Ricoh can (and - as a commercially savvy business, should) price the camera at a level that will generate sufficient demand to make the venture profitable, as well as increasing their market share, and without ruining their K3II market at the same time (remember, they have more than the K-1 to think about here). Whether you personally like the price or not, there will be more than enough demand for the K-1 to make it profitable at the release price. Plus, as time goes by, the price will drop as demand weakens, and the next tier of buyers will jump on the lower pricing - as always happens.

If it had 133 AF points and a full compliment of superb pro-grade telephotos for sport and wildlife, then yeah, charge what ever you want like canikon.
They can and will charge whatever they like, whatever the features and lens support. No sense getting ticked off over it. The market will decide whether the pricing is right - and if it isn't, market forces will correct it.
02-28-2016, 05:00 AM   #690
Veteran Member

Congratulations man !