Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2016, 05:19 AM   #856
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
They don’t of course, but they also have to follow the laws. I don’t know French consumer laws but would not be surprised if its something similar as in Norway. Here, the shops can cancel orders or approve them quite freely. If they approve they have "signed a sale contract" with the customer and have a much harder time to cancel the order. Approved orders may only be cancelled if its something very wrong, to that degree that the customer should have known it was an error. That means small errors like 10% too low pricing must be completed. Large errors, like punching 200 in stead of 2000, is easy to cancel even after approval. I don't know what will be the outcome of -37% pricing on a camera, but I expect fnac to cancel all orders with wrong price, and prepare to take the legal battle with the few, if any, that wants to take it further. I also expect 99+% of the customers to understand the situation and let them cancel without any more trouble. Lets face it - it was too good to be true. Don’t make a difficult day for an fnac employee even more difficult. Wait for the official black Friday offers in stead.

03-17-2016, 05:19 AM   #857
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I am pretty sure profit margin aren't very big on the K-1. Who would sell camera's at a loss?
Somebody the law first, the judge eventually would oblige to.

Since the price displayed is not 'dérisoire' (absurdly low, e.g. one tenth of the price proposed by other sellers), the e-retailer must deliver the product, even if it means for them to sell at a loss.

For more elaborate considerations, see the following link if you read some French (ore use an automatic translator):

Prix erroné et refus de vente | LeGuide.com

Of course, they can cancel the order and you'll then have to go to court to obtain satisfaction but you'll most probably win the case in the end. Or you can use viral methods on the Internet to threat to damage their reputation, leading them to revise their position.
03-17-2016, 05:27 AM   #858
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You could ask yourself whether experienced internet buyers and Pentax lunies like us couldn't tell a wrongly priced from camera from a genuine offer. :P Or am I being the advocate of the devil (FNAC) now?
03-17-2016, 05:47 AM   #859
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Somebody the law first, the judge eventually would oblige to.

Since the price displayed is not 'dérisoire' (absurdly low, e.g. one tenth of the price proposed by other sellers), the e-retailer must deliver the product, even if it means for them to sell at a loss.

For more elaborate considerations, see the following link if you read some French (ore use an automatic translator):

Prix erroné et refus de vente | LeGuide.com

Of course, they can cancel the order and you'll then have to go to court to obtain satisfaction but you'll most probably win the case in the end. Or you can use viral methods on the Internet to threat to damage their reputation, leading them to revise their position.
Thank you for clarification.

03-17-2016, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #860
Pentaxian

New article on the dedicated site about the fine tuning of the sensor: Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING
03-17-2016, 07:02 AM   #861
Pentaxian

nice reading, its what the French Ricoh rep told us last sunday as he explained the (D810) sensor in the K-1
03-17-2016, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #862
Pentaxian

It will be difficult for Fnac to cancel the orders in putting forward an erroneous price, see the screen copy of the chat with a Fnac 'expert' yesterday night.

You: "Is €1,264.31 the right price for Pentax K-1 body only?"
Cedrick (Fnac expert): "Good evening and welcome to the assistance chat of Fnac.com. Yes, absolutely. Did I answer all your questions?"
You: "A price difference of more than €700 with the announced price, that's incredible."
Cedrick (Fnac expert): "Anyway, this is the price we have been informed about."
You: "Very well thank you very much "
03-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #863
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I once ordered some goods through Amazon marketplace from a French company again if I remember correctly that were wrongly priced -I think they'd just forgotten to add VAT or something and quoted price inclusive of VAT. They basically ignored my order and didn't respond to communications. In the end I gave up as I wanted the goods, it was clearly a mistake, and it wasn't worth the hassle of pursuing it. I suspect stonewalling will be the probable response.

03-17-2016, 08:30 AM   #864
Veteran Member

Fnac is a giant (with good reputation) in France. I guess they love their reputation more than a couple 1000€ lost. They even may have done that on purpose for the extra visibility above Amazon they are getting out of this.

To everybody who ordered last night: well done

Moreover, Fnac runs one of a few good photo testing labs in the world, and the only one with a useful AF.C testing bed.
03-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #865
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How can I chat to them (like Mistral75 did) and ask whether my order has been placed successfully? My French isn't the best, however, I tried to find a way to contact them on their website, without success.
I need a written confirmation so how to contact them? All I find is a FAQ-style section where you can not ask individuell questions...

Thanks for your help!
03-17-2016, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #866
Pentaxian

Should be Ok zeitlos, as you got order validation.
03-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #867
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great news! Let's hope and pray

Bonne nuit
03-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #868
bxf
Pentaxian

And why would some people be so determined to force a seller to comply with a price that was published in error? If you, as a buyer, had made an error and overpaid for something, would you expect to have to fight to recover the excess?

Aside from that, one typically sees things like "not responsible for typos, etc...", so I'd expect something similar to apply here.
03-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #869
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
And why would some people be so determined to force a seller to comply with a price that was published in error? If you, as a buyer, had made an error and overpaid for something, would you expect to have to fight to recover the excess?

Aside from that, one typically sees things like "not responsible for typos, etc...", so I'd expect something similar to apply here.
I think because it is the law: price are set freely and merchant have to honor displayed price except if that an obvious error. Like asking 3€ for a K-1. This is to protect against some merchant that display fake price, like a very cheap one but when you actually pay, it suddenly got more expensive (ideally if you buy many item you don't even see it).

So the whole question is if the price of K-1, a 30-40% discount over the recommended price is an obvious error ? As it is also forbidden by law to sell at a loss to ensure fair competition, is this price really higher than the price fnac paid for it? If the price is bellow that, they could simply use that argument too.

Morally I would say I understand the people that want to try... Typically merchant don't hesitate to maximize profit by selling as high as possible. Big share of economy work just like that. Clothes of the new collections are very expensive and you have choice. At the end of the season the price are quite discounted but choice is reduced. There the concept of selling the same thing but brand it differently so the same clothes brought in Gap or Old Navy will not have the same price.

Airline companies push that to the extreme, the flights price depend on thousand of rules and change all the time. Even if the flight is far from full they make you pay more if they guess you are a business traveller because your company has the money to pay...

So when a consumer can manage to get a good bargain for 1 time, it make sense that he could play the game too and benefit of it. Sure he has no chance to win in the long run against the army of marketing guys, social engineering and mathematical modeling of customer behavior but at least he could not refuse a great deal when he find one.

Anyway that K-1 will likely one day be sold under €1000, electronics follow a price scheme based on novelty, exactly the same as clothes.

For me I don't hold my breath. If you don't plan to sue the company and they refund you, it would be difficult to complain even on forum and it will not really arm the reputation of this big company.
03-17-2016, 12:30 PM   #870
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote

Morally I would say I understand the people that want to try... Typically merchant don't hesitate to maximize profit by selling as high as possible.
Thanks.