Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2016, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #871
Pentaxian

It will be difficult for Fnac to cancel the orders in putting forward an erroneous price, see the screen copy of the chat with a Fnac 'expert' yesterday night.

You: "Is 1,264.31 the right price for Pentax K-1 body only?"
Cedrick (Fnac expert): "Good evening and welcome to the assistance chat of Fnac.com. Yes, absolutely. Did I answer all your questions?"
You: "A price difference of more than 700 with the announced price, that's incredible."
Cedrick (Fnac expert): "Anyway, this is the price we have been informed about."
You: "Very well thank you very much "

03-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #872
Pentaxian

I once ordered some goods through Amazon marketplace from a French company again if I remember correctly that were wrongly priced -I think they'd just forgotten to add VAT or something and quoted price inclusive of VAT. They basically ignored my order and didn't respond to communications. In the end I gave up as I wanted the goods, it was clearly a mistake, and it wasn't worth the hassle of pursuing it. I suspect stonewalling will be the probable response.
03-17-2016, 08:30 AM   #873
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fnac is a giant (with good reputation) in France. I guess they love their reputation more than a couple 1000€ lost. They even may have done that on purpose for the extra visibility above Amazon they are getting out of this.

To everybody who ordered last night: well done

Moreover, Fnac runs one of a few good photo testing labs in the world, and the only one with a useful AF.C testing bed.
03-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #874
Site Supporter

How can I chat to them (like Mistral75 did) and ask whether my order has been placed successfully? My French isn't the best, however, I tried to find a way to contact them on their website, without success.
I need a written confirmation so how to contact them? All I find is a FAQ-style section where you can not ask individuell questions...

Thanks for your help!

03-17-2016, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #875
Site Supporter

Should be Ok zeitlos, as you got order validation.
03-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #876
Site Supporter

Great news! Let's hope and pray

Bonne nuit
03-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #877
bxf
Site Supporter

And why would some people be so determined to force a seller to comply with a price that was published in error? If you, as a buyer, had made an error and overpaid for something, would you expect to have to fight to recover the excess?

Aside from that, one typically sees things like "not responsible for typos, etc...", so I'd expect something similar to apply here.
03-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #878
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
And why would some people be so determined to force a seller to comply with a price that was published in error? If you, as a buyer, had made an error and overpaid for something, would you expect to have to fight to recover the excess?

Aside from that, one typically sees things like "not responsible for typos, etc...", so I'd expect something similar to apply here.
I think because it is the law: price are set freely and merchant have to honor displayed price except if that an obvious error. Like asking 3€ for a K-1. This is to protect against some merchant that display fake price, like a very cheap one but when you actually pay, it suddenly got more expensive (ideally if you buy many item you don't even see it).

So the whole question is if the price of K-1, a 30-40% discount over the recommended price is an obvious error ? As it is also forbidden by law to sell at a loss to ensure fair competition, is this price really higher than the price fnac paid for it? If the price is bellow that, they could simply use that argument too.

Morally I would say I understand the people that want to try... Typically merchant don't hesitate to maximize profit by selling as high as possible. Big share of economy work just like that. Clothes of the new collections are very expensive and you have choice. At the end of the season the price are quite discounted but choice is reduced. There the concept of selling the same thing but brand it differently so the same clothes brought in Gap or Old Navy will not have the same price.

Airline companies push that to the extreme, the flights price depend on thousand of rules and change all the time. Even if the flight is far from full they make you pay more if they guess you are a business traveller because your company has the money to pay...

So when a consumer can manage to get a good bargain for 1 time, it make sense that he could play the game too and benefit of it. Sure he has no chance to win in the long run against the army of marketing guys, social engineering and mathematical modeling of customer behavior but at least he could not refuse a great deal when he find one.

Anyway that K-1 will likely one day be sold under €1000, electronics follow a price scheme based on novelty, exactly the same as clothes.

For me I don't hold my breath. If you don't plan to sue the company and they refund you, it would be difficult to complain even on forum and it will not really arm the reputation of this big company.

03-17-2016, 12:30 PM   #879
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote

Morally I would say I understand the people that want to try... Typically merchant don't hesitate to maximize profit by selling as high as possible.
Thanks.
03-17-2016, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #880
bxf
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Morally I would say I understand the people that want to try... Typically merchant don't hesitate to maximize profit by selling as high as possible.
Maximizing profit and taking advantage of an error is not the same thing. You, as a buyer, can shop around and attempt to reduce your cost.

I am not even saying that I wouldn't try to take advantage of an unusually low price, but I certainly would not force a reasonable merchant to fight me in order to correct the error.
03-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #881
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Over here, K-1 is priced 2200 Euros, roughtly 400 euros above the price announced in the USA. The D750 (also here) is priced 1800 Euro, which actually makes the K-1 not as competitive as it seemed to be in the product press release. I initially thought that the K-1 would be very attractive. But I don't know if Nikon dropped their prices, currently, the D750 is one of the best offering overhere.
03-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #882
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Maximizing profit and taking advantage of an error is not the same thing. You, as a buyer, can shop around and attempt to reduce your cost.

I am not even saying that I wouldn't try to take advantage of an unusually low price, but I certainly would not force a reasonable merchant to fight me in order to correct the error.
Nor me.
03-17-2016, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #883
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Over here, K-1 is priced 2200 Euros, roughtly 400 euros above the price announced in the USA. The D750 (also here) is priced 1800 Euro, which actually makes the K-1 not as competitive as it seemed to be in the product press release. I initially thought that the K-1 would be very attractive. But I don't know if Nikon dropped their prices, currently, the D750 is one of the best offering overhere.
You are from Austria? You can buy the K-1 for it's introduction price of 1999,-

http://www.idealo.at/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/4965481_-k-1-body-pentax.html

The D750 is cheaper ( http://www.idealo.at/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/4583512_-d750-body-nikon.html ) but it was introduced for about 2400 if I remember right. The K-1 is a better specced camera. IMHO it is very competitive. Why do people always compare introduction prices to street prices? I cannot speculate on that because that would result in several insulting assumptions.
03-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #884
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
You are from Austria? You can buy the K-1 for it's introduction price of €1999,- http://www.idealo.at/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/4965481_-k-1-body-pentax.html The D750 is cheaper ( http://www.idealo.at/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/4583512_-d750-body-nikon.html ) but it was introduced for about €2400 if I remember right. The K-1 is a better specced camera. IMHO it is very competitive. Why do people always compare introduction prices to street prices? I cannot speculate on that because that would result in several insulting assumptions.
Yes, that's it, and I did not check the prices recently.
03-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #885
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Over here, K-1 is priced 2200 Euros, roughtly 400 euros above the price announced in the USA. The D750 (also here) is priced 1800 Euro,
The K-1 is a 36Mp camera, the D750 is only 24Mp.