Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2016, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #871
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,879
It will be difficult for Fnac to cancel the orders in putting forward an erroneous price, see the screen copy of the chat with a Fnac 'expert' yesterday night.



You: "Is 1,264.31 the right price for Pentax K-1 body only?"
Cedrick (Fnac expert): "Good evening and welcome to the assistance chat of Fnac.com. Yes, absolutely. Did I answer all your questions?"
You: "A price difference of more than 700 with the announced price, that's incredible."
Cedrick (Fnac expert): "Anyway, this is the price we have been informed about."
You: "Very well thank you very much "

03-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #872
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Posts: 1,652
I once ordered some goods through Amazon marketplace from a French company again if I remember correctly that were wrongly priced -I think they'd just forgotten to add VAT or something and quoted price inclusive of VAT. They basically ignored my order and didn't respond to communications. In the end I gave up as I wanted the goods, it was clearly a mistake, and it wasn't worth the hassle of pursuing it. I suspect stonewalling will be the probable response.
03-17-2016, 08:30 AM   #873
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
Fnac is a giant (with good reputation) in France. I guess they love their reputation more than a couple 1000€ lost. They even may have done that on purpose for the extra visibility above Amazon they are getting out of this.

To everybody who ordered last night: well done

Moreover, Fnac runs one of a few good photo testing labs in the world, and the only one with a useful AF.C testing bed.
03-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #874
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the middle of Bavaria - Germany
Posts: 222
How can I chat to them (like Mistral75 did) and ask whether my order has been placed successfully? My French isn't the best, however, I tried to find a way to contact them on their website, without success.
I need a written confirmation so how to contact them? All I find is a FAQ-style section where you can not ask individuell questions...

Thanks for your help!

03-17-2016, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #875
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,001
Should be Ok zeitlos, as you got order validation.
03-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #876
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the middle of Bavaria - Germany
Posts: 222
Great news! Let's hope and pray

Bonne nuit
03-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #877
bxf
Site Supporter
bxf's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lisbon area
Posts: 1,091
And why would some people be so determined to force a seller to comply with a price that was published in error? If you, as a buyer, had made an error and overpaid for something, would you expect to have to fight to recover the excess?

Aside from that, one typically sees things like "not responsible for typos, etc...", so I'd expect something similar to apply here.
03-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #878
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,607
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
And why would some people be so determined to force a seller to comply with a price that was published in error? If you, as a buyer, had made an error and overpaid for something, would you expect to have to fight to recover the excess?

Aside from that, one typically sees things like "not responsible for typos, etc...", so I'd expect something similar to apply here.
I think because it is the law: price are set freely and merchant have to honor displayed price except if that an obvious error. Like asking 3€ for a K-1. This is to protect against some merchant that display fake price, like a very cheap one but when you actually pay, it suddenly got more expensive (ideally if you buy many item you don't even see it).

So the whole question is if the price of K-1, a 30-40% discount over the recommended price is an obvious error ? As it is also forbidden by law to sell at a loss to ensure fair competition, is this price really higher than the price fnac paid for it? If the price is bellow that, they could simply use that argument too.

Morally I would say I understand the people that want to try... Typically merchant don't hesitate to maximize profit by selling as high as possible. Big share of economy work just like that. Clothes of the new collections are very expensive and you have choice. At the end of the season the price are quite discounted but choice is reduced. There the concept of selling the same thing but brand it differently so the same clothes brought in Gap or Old Navy will not have the same price.

Airline companies push that to the extreme, the flights price depend on thousand of rules and change all the time. Even if the flight is far from full they make you pay more if they guess you are a business traveller because your company has the money to pay...

So when a consumer can manage to get a good bargain for 1 time, it make sense that he could play the game too and benefit of it. Sure he has no chance to win in the long run against the army of marketing guys, social engineering and mathematical modeling of customer behavior but at least he could not refuse a great deal when he find one.

Anyway that K-1 will likely one day be sold under €1000, electronics follow a price scheme based on novelty, exactly the same as clothes.

For me I don't hold my breath. If you don't plan to sue the company and they refund you, it would be difficult to complain even on forum and it will not really arm the reputation of this big company.

03-17-2016, 12:30 PM   #879
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the middle of Bavaria - Germany
Posts: 222
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote

Morally I would say I understand the people that want to try... Typically merchant don't hesitate to maximize profit by selling as high as possible.
Thanks.
03-17-2016, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #880
bxf
Site Supporter
bxf's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lisbon area
Posts: 1,091
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Morally I would say I understand the people that want to try... Typically merchant don't hesitate to maximize profit by selling as high as possible.
Maximizing profit and taking advantage of an error is not the same thing. You, as a buyer, can shop around and attempt to reduce your cost.

I am not even saying that I wouldn't try to take advantage of an unusually low price, but I certainly would not force a reasonable merchant to fight me in order to correct the error.
03-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #881
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,164
Over here, K-1 is priced 2200 Euros, roughtly 400 euros above the price announced in the USA. The D750 (also here) is priced 1800 Euro, which actually makes the K-1 not as competitive as it seemed to be in the product press release. I initially thought that the K-1 would be very attractive. But I don't know if Nikon dropped their prices, currently, the D750 is one of the best offering overhere.
03-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #882
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the middle of Bavaria - Germany
Posts: 222
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Maximizing profit and taking advantage of an error is not the same thing. You, as a buyer, can shop around and attempt to reduce your cost.

I am not even saying that I wouldn't try to take advantage of an unusually low price, but I certainly would not force a reasonable merchant to fight me in order to correct the error.
Nor me.
03-17-2016, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #883
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,002
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Over here, K-1 is priced 2200 Euros, roughtly 400 euros above the price announced in the USA. The D750 (also here) is priced 1800 Euro, which actually makes the K-1 not as competitive as it seemed to be in the product press release. I initially thought that the K-1 would be very attractive. But I don't know if Nikon dropped their prices, currently, the D750 is one of the best offering overhere.
You are from Austria? You can buy the K-1 for it's introduction price of 1999,-

http://www.idealo.at/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/4965481_-k-1-body-pentax.html

The D750 is cheaper ( http://www.idealo.at/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/4583512_-d750-body-nikon.html ) but it was introduced for about 2400 if I remember right. The K-1 is a better specced camera. IMHO it is very competitive. Why do people always compare introduction prices to street prices? I cannot speculate on that because that would result in several insulting assumptions.
03-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #884
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,164
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
You are from Austria? You can buy the K-1 for it's introduction price of €1999,- http://www.idealo.at/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/4965481_-k-1-body-pentax.html The D750 is cheaper ( http://www.idealo.at/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/4583512_-d750-body-nikon.html ) but it was introduced for about €2400 if I remember right. The K-1 is a better specced camera. IMHO it is very competitive. Why do people always compare introduction prices to street prices? I cannot speculate on that because that would result in several insulting assumptions.
Yes, that's it, and I did not check the prices recently.
03-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #885
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,362
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Over here, K-1 is priced 2200 Euros, roughtly 400 euros above the price announced in the USA. The D750 (also here) is priced 1800 Euro,
The K-1 is a 36Mp camera, the D750 is only 24Mp.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
auto, base, camera, company, compression, d810, design, dr, electrons, fa, hardware, iso, k-1, k-3, lenses, pentax, pentax body, pentax k-1, pentax news, pentax rumors, photos, pre-order, risk, sensor, specifications, timelapse, trip, vs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-3 II Officially Announced Adam Pentax News and Rumors 1015 07-03-2015 10:55 PM
Pentax K-S2 Officially Announced Adam Pentax K-S1 & K-S2 12 05-23-2015 06:49 AM
Pentax K-30 Officially Announced! Adam Pentax News and Rumors 245 09-12-2012 08:32 PM
Pentax K-5 Officially Announced Adam Pentax News and Rumors 533 03-06-2012 05:45 AM
K-5 Firmware 1.02 Officially Announced Ole Pentax K-5 50 01-20-2011 10:05 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:57 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top