Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #916

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The war started in Pentax main market, Japan:
K-1 and Market Reaction: Price War in Japan: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

K-1 is priced 250,290 Yen (2200 USD)
Nikon D810? is priced 259,499 Yen (2281 USD)
EOS 5D Mark III is priced 248,999 Yen (2189 USD)
D750 is "priced 167,997 Yen (1476 USD),
EOS 6D is priced 135,800 yen (1194 USD).
D7200 is priced 88,422 Yen (777 USD)
EOS 70D is priced 88,500 Yen (778 USD)
K-3II is priced 94,452 Yen (830 USD).

"This is now happening, the price war, and all is started by the coming of Pentax K-1."

Pentax is basically more expensive than Canikon on most front and same price as D810 in Japan. Not sure it match its AF. I agree all theses product were more expensive before K-1 and even more when there were announced, but for potential buyers what count are the features (including price point) vs the competition. With theses prices, K-1 will sell to existing Pentax user because it is not too expensive, but it would not steal any market from the other too. Come on! You can get an FF almost for half the price of K-1 in that market if you want (Canon 6D). Like for APSC, it is not the most expensive model that sell the most. After all the key features of FF segment is FF sensor, not the rest.

The war will be there.
That's from a fortnight ago but anyway, Ricoh seem to like a certain symmetry in their pricing, each increasing level of camera roughly doublng in price (K-50/K-S2 - K-3II - K-1 - 645D - 645Z) at least in the UK, so they may have a lot of flexiibility in their pricing and will I am sure respond if the competition gets too hot. But it probably won't, not unless the K-1 is such a roaring success that CaNikon start to get worried.

03-21-2016, 01:04 AM   #917
Pentaxian

I'm not sure how worried is Canon (or Nikon) about the upcoming Pentax full frame. The drop in price for Canon it's not related to Pentax, at least in my opinion. They want to clear the stocks (at least this is what I was told by a local seller) because the 5D Mark IV it's on the way (it is expected to be announced at the end of april).

And if the rumors I heard about lately are true (see this link Full List of Upcoming Mirrorless Cameras (2016), then both Canon and Nikon are going to release their first full frame high-end mirrorless to compete with Sony.
03-21-2016, 02:33 AM   #918
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
And if the rumors I heard about lately are true (see this link Full List of Upcoming Mirrorless Cameras (2016), then both Canon and Nikon are going to release their first full frame high-end mirrorless to compete with Sony.
As far as I can see, the rumour source you quote is not mentioning Canon and Nikon full frame mirrorless, and other rumour postings (such as this: What To Expect Next From Nikon | Nikon Rumors) appear much less confident about the full frame aspect than you do.
03-21-2016, 02:42 AM   #919
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure how worried is Canon (or Nikon) about the upcoming Pentax full frame. The drop in price for Canon it's not related to Pentax, at least in my opinion. They want to clear the stocks (at least this is what I was told by a local seller) because the 5D Mark IV it's on the way (it is expected to be announced at the end of april).

We will see. I do think the K-1 will have a lot of features that should sell well against cameras like the D610, D810 and 5D MK III. Certainly people interested in a D5 or 1D series camera won't even give it a passing stare. A sports camera it's not.

I don't really believe the full frame mirrorless rumors for Canon and Nikon -- particularly not if there are new mounts involved, but I guess we'll see.

03-21-2016, 03:56 AM   #920
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
As far as I can see, the rumour source you quote is not mentioning Canon and Nikon full frame mirrorless, and other rumour postings (such as this: What To Expect Next From Nikon | Nikon Rumors) appear much less confident about the full frame aspect than you do.
Look at the end of the article.

[IMG][/IMG]

---------- Post added 03-21-16 at 10:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
We will see. I do think the K-1 will have a lot of features that should sell well against cameras like the D610, D810 and 5D MK III. Certainly people interested in a D5 or 1D series camera won't even give it a passing stare. A sports camera it's not.
True. K-1 is a very interesting camera at a very good price.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't really believe the full frame mirrorless rumors for Canon and Nikon -- particularly not if there are new mounts involved, but I guess we'll see.
If there is a new mount involved then I'm not interested at all about those mirrorless cameras.
03-21-2016, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #921
Pentaxian

K-1 and Market Reaction: Price War in Japan: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

"This is now happening, the price war, and all is started by the coming of Pentax K-1."

Pentax is basically more expensive than Canikon on most front and same price as D810 in Japan. Not sure it match its AF. I agree all theses product were more expensive before K-1 and even more when there were announced, but for potential buyers what count are the features (including price point) vs the competition. With theses prices, K-1 will sell to existing Pentax user because it is not too expensive, but it would not steal any market from the other too. Come on! You can get an FF almost for half the price of K-1 in that market if you want (Canon 6D). Like for APSC, it is not the most expensive model that sell the most. After all the key features of FF segment is FF sensor, not the rest.

The war will be there.
I don't know what's happening but, Nikon cameras are being sold a lot cheaper than Pentax cameras. The k-3ii is being sold about a hundred dollars higher than the D7200. Both prices are from the same store so the price comparison is more or less accurate.

What is going on? Is the competition that super stiff? Or are they threatened by Pentax?

---------- Post added 03-21-16 at 08:05 PM ----------

The war will be there.
I don't know what's happening but, Nikon cameras are being sold a lot cheaper than Pentax cameras. The k-3ii is being sold about a hundred dollars higher than the D7200. Both prices are from the same store so the price comparison is more or less accurate.

What is going on? Is the competition that super stiff? Or are they threatened by Pentax?

---------- Post added 03-21-16 at 08:25 PM ----------

The war will be there.

I'm talking about the Philippine market.
03-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #922
Pentaxian

Look at the end of the article.
Still nothing about full frame, just "High-End" and "Advanced". Or am I blind?
03-21-2016, 12:30 PM   #923
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nope you're not.
This is all wishful thinking IMO.

03-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #924
Pentaxian

If there is a new mount involved then I'm not interested at all about those mirrorless cameras.
The article mini series on the K-1 special site has some interesting detail. From my memory, it says that they initially considered a full frame mirrorless (rather than the K-1) with (automatically!) a new lens mount. But eventually settled on the K-1 project due to feedback received at Photokina from Pentaxians wanting to preserve the K mount.

IMHO, any "advanced" mirrorless from Canon, Nikon or Pentax will introduce a new mount (with an adaptor). The real question will be a different one: When will the respective flagship camera from the vendors be mirrorless?
03-21-2016, 05:22 PM   #925
Pentaxian

They didn't consider a mirrorless at first, to "settle" for a DSLR; they were unsure which way to go. A small but important distinction.
The new mount matter should be obvious... such decisions are made for the decades to come. Yet a new reasonably complete lens line-up can be built in a few years.
QuoteQuote:
Since this was the first full-frame model for PENTAX, the product planning team was initially unsure about which system to pursue. They could opt for a mirrorless system, which would allow them to design a compact, lightweight model because of the shorter fringe back made possible by the elimination of the mirror box. If this were their choice, it would be more logical and productive to develop a completely new lens mount.

However, our users responded to this issue differently. When the team members traveled to Germany to attend the Photokina event, they were approached by a Pentaxian — an affectionate name given to PENTAX enthusiasts. He expressed his dissatisfaction with the lack of a full-frame model in PENTAX’s SLR lineup. “Thanks to my PENTAX camera, I found the fun of photography, and I want to step up to the next level. However, all PENTAX now offers is the choice of an APS-C-size model or a much larger 645-series model, and nothing in between.”

The team member recalls the event: “At that moment, all of us were reminded that we must do everything to serve our existing PENTAX users. And we were convinced that a new lens mount is out of the question. We would have to develop an SLR camera which would let our users use their K-mount lenses, and would feature the optical viewfinder that has been so highly praised by them.”
Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING
03-21-2016, 09:20 PM   #926
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They didn't consider a mirrorless at first, to "settle" for a DSLR; they were unsure which way to go.

Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING
As I understand they inclined to mirrorless, but the plans were changed by Pentaxian.
03-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #927
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
As I understand they inclined to mirrorless, but the plans were changed by Pentaxian.
Like LEICA, if they support past lenses by keeping the same mount, or providing the proper adapter, they keep their loyal base.
03-21-2016, 09:58 PM - 2 Likes   #928
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, if I had any voice in the matter, my opinion would have been...
  • First - build a FF dSLR - there was really no way around this option as an initial step. Not doing this the Pentax community would have melted down.
  • Second - under the Ricoh a GX based FF fixed lens camera. This is essentially a FF mirror-less in sheep's clothing.
  • Third - if / when a FF mirror-less is necessary, either under Pentax or Ricoh replaced the fixed lens on the above (option 2) and put on a new lens mount for an interchangeable mirror-less lens system. The third option is essentially building a mirror-less lens library.

03-22-2016, 02:25 AM   #929
Pentaxian

Oh, yes. You are right. I was reading before this article another article on Canon forum in which is said that the new advanced Canon mirrorless will have a full frame sensor. And with this thought in my mind I didn't see that in this article no one mention about a full frame mirrorless from Canon/Nikon.
03-22-2016, 04:14 AM   #930
Pentaxian

Oh, yes. You are right. I was reading before this article another article on Canon forum in which is said that the new advanced Canon mirrorless will have a full frame sensor. And with this thought in my mind I didn't see that in this article no one mention about a full frame mirrorless from Canon/Nikon.
No but in order for it to be high end and an answer to the A7 series, it would need to be.