Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #946
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zen4Life Quote
Do you know if the LR auto-tone performs the same as PS's auto-tone?
I think not. When I've used the LR autotone it almost always produces an image that is too bright with washed-out colors.

03-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #947
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Hmmmm Is this just in JPEG or does it affect RAW? I'd sooner they concentrated on reproducing colours accurately leaving the user to decide which colours to pop in post processing. They mention blue and green, how about red and specifically detail in reds?
Lightroom colour profiles: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review A recent discussion on color profiles.

Pentax has traditionally had a problem with reds bleeding to magenta. They are not the only ones however. The red channel always clips first.

The RAW files are effected by the image processor. The Sony A900 and the Nikon D3x both had the same sensor, but different color profiles because they had different image processors. Sony used a heavier RGB filter than Nikon which gave the Sony better color, but the darker filter hurt high ISO performance and that is where the Nikon had the advantage. Everyone criticized the A900 for poor high ISO, but the colors were excellent at lower ISO making it a great studio camera.

Every RAW processor is using a different logarithm to process RAW files and they will all give you slightly different colors. Lightroom is the easiest to work with. I think Capture One gives you the most control and best colors, but I prefer DxO for a lot of my work. The Adobe Standard Color profile for the Pentax K-3 is not very good. The in-camera RAW processor produces better colors than the Adobe Standard Profile assuming you nail WB and exposure. The Embedded profile is better, but an X-Rite custom color profile is the way to go if can.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
When I've used the LR autotone it almost always produces an image that is too bright
LR is assuming you are going to print the image and you need to increase brightness for prints. The illuminated screen will always be brighter than the reflective print.
03-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #948
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Q&A with imaging resource CP+
Ricoh Q&A @ CP+ 2016: The Pentax K-1 design story; video feedback solicited; sub-frame lens test update
03-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #949

I don't buy the shake-reduction during video answer. There must be a technical reason Ricoh switched to digital shake reduction, it worked fine with past cameras. No one who seriously records video records audio with the on-board mic. And if you're using a K-1 for Christmas videos of your family where you don't care about microphone audio, the K-1 is the wrong camera for you. No one is happy with this change, I don't get it.

03-28-2016, 03:32 PM   #950
Veteran Member

Interesting Imaging Resource interview with Pentax people..

I found this interesting. FYI on development of the K-1.

John
PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page

Ricoh Q&A @ CP+ 2016: The Pentax K-1 design story; video feedback solicited; sub-frame lens test update
03-28-2016, 04:22 PM   #951
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
A very interesting interview of the K-1's development team found at Digital Camera Watch:

Original Japanese text

Google translation
I read the translation and my life will never be the same.
03-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #952
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Many people buy Pentax lenses just for that you know and many users want some brand just because of the type of color rendering... I have head of the Canon and Fuji color rendering too. People buy the brand for that.

Back in time people were choosing a specific film to get specific rendering. A Kodak portra doesn't behave the same at all as a Fuji Velvia.

If you really care of perfect color reproduction, you should calibrate your cameras and lenses as well as your printer and screen. Remember that the room you work receive different light from outside because of weather or time of the day it change color rendering and also overall contrast. If you put artificial light, that change again... So you'd want a room with a north window or no window if possible...

If you finally do all of that, you'll discover that 99.99% of people don't so if you share on the net, people will see it very differently depending of their monitor, ambiant light... and even if you bring your own print, the overall feeling of it would be impacted heavily by the ambiant light of were the print is to be seen . For me it is enough to see the different in rendering from the monitors I have at work and also the difference at home depending of the day light to see this is far from simple issue.
Those of us who used slide film have been aware of these issues for years, and are essentially resigned to inexact rendering. If you took pictures of a scene twice, once as the last exposure on a roll of Kodachrome and once five minutes later as the first exposure on a roll of Ektachrome, you knew that the colors would differ even though nothing but the film had changed in those five minutes - Kodachrome tended to be a tad "warm" and Ektachrome tended to be a tad "cool".

03-28-2016, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #953
mee
Veteran Member

His interviews are head and shoulders above anyone else's with Ricoh reps. ...He gives a more conversational tone to the interview and less police interrogative. I think the Ricoh reps appreciate that more and are willing to discuss more as a result.
03-28-2016, 11:36 PM   #954
Pentaxian

Interesting interview, as expected... a pity it was so short.
03-29-2016, 02:39 AM   #955
Pentaxian

So the shutter button has a different feel, like the 645z. The K3 is a bit mushy, what does the K1 feel like?
03-29-2016, 04:01 AM   #956
Pentaxian

I didn't feel difference....
03-29-2016, 04:08 AM   #957
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
So the shutter button has a different feel, like the 645z. The K3 is a bit mushy, what does the K1 feel like?
I didn't specifically test for it, but when I tried the K1 at a show recently, I don't recall it being much different than the K3. The K1 felt completely familiar in every way. Then again, I think from one of your much earlier posts you said you could feel a real difference between the controls on the K5 and the K3, whereas I feel little or no appreciable difference between my K5, K3 and K3II. All three have a very soft and light first stage to half press, then a reasonably light and crisp second stage to fire the shutter.
03-29-2016, 08:39 AM   #958
Pentaxian

some people....

03-29-2016, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #959
Pentaxian

I can't believe it - it's the 5th time that guy covered the K-1 in mud and washed it in a kitchen sink! And the poor camera still works!
04-01-2016, 03:26 AM   #960
Pentaxian

On the Dutch forum people are reporting their k-1 being delivered.

But it is april first :P