Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 03:59 AM   #1261
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Well, its a bit of surprise to anyone involved with Pentax. But I'm safe anyhow. I have contract with other parties. But Ricoh/Pentax won't get much pics or help from me now. Their loss. I have work with Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden + + + in the time to come..hehe
that's a bit of a sour note from Ricoh, just when they seemed to be doing everything right - shame!

04-29-2016, 04:04 AM   #1262
Pentaxian

Yeah, it is very odd. I have no clue what they are thinking.
Chance is, they don't either.

Did you get your K-1 yet?
04-29-2016, 04:11 AM   #1263
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Very strange! I hope they change their mind when they see your pictures kenspo.

I hope they don’t just throw out more of their New Zealand vacation snapshots. They just need some jaw dropping professional work that pushes the limits.
04-29-2016, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #1264
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Very strange! I hope they change their mind when they see your pictures kenspo.

I hope they don’t just throw out more of their New Zealand vacation snapshots. They just need some jaw dropping professional work that pushes the limits.
If I find them vacationing here, I'll be sure to discuss the matter with them!

04-29-2016, 04:24 AM   #1265

Photos: Gallery
kenspo, we're all behind you! you have done a master job keeping us Pentaxians excited in difficult times and Ricoh should be grateful to you. I don't think, speaking personally, I have seen anyone online having a bigger influence on my patience with Ricoh than you. No marketing campaign could have done that. We like your down to earth style and professionalism on the photography side.
I certainly hope they are reading this thread and open their eyes
04-29-2016, 04:27 AM   #1266
Pentaxian

This might come as a surprise to many, but Pentax do not want or support any kind of ambassadors of K-1.

That is also why they used their own pics as showcase.
Is it specific to the Nordic countries or do you know of other Pentax ambassadors, the mission of which has been terminated as well?
04-29-2016, 04:34 AM   #1267
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I did not realise the K-1 is so much more compact than the Nikon D810.
But it is heavier. That's how solid it is.
04-29-2016, 05:12 AM   #1268
Pentaxian

I'm confused.

On the one hand:
I will just stop being an official ambassador for Pentax.
But Ricoh/Pentax won't get much pics or help from me now. Their loss.
On the other hand:
I will post a lot of concerts and portraits in the time to come. Using K-1, 15-30, 24-70, 70-200 and some primes
So you are still getting the K-1 with lenses, even though you are not an ambassador for Ricoh anymore?

Are there other parts to the contract, on top of free gear, that have been terminated?

If the whole contract has been terminated and Ricoh is just honouring their prior commitment to supply you with a K-1 (or even two K-1's as you have indicated earlier) and lenses, why isn't Ricoh at least inviting to get something out of you for it in return? For the equipment involved, we are talking a substantial amount of money. Why would Ricoh spent that kind of money but say "no thank you" for anything in return?

04-29-2016, 05:55 AM   #1269
Pentaxian

Truly weird indeed. First they ask you to be an ambassador. Then they say you're no longer an ambassador but they give you your gears. What would they get from this deal? They should use everything that they can get from you. Like you said and I agree with you Kenspo, it's their loss.
04-29-2016, 05:56 AM   #1270
Pentaxian

This might come as a surprise to many, but Pentax do not want or support any kind of ambassadors of K-1.
No surprise here.
It seems Pentax isn't a reliable partner to associated pros.

kenspo, you may not have followed it, but before you, the forum has seen another brand ambassador. It was benjikan (Benjamin Kanarek, a well know fashion photographer from Paris and North America) and I do still remember that the divorce with Pentax wasn't nice.

I would have hoped that under Ricoh, the relationship to associated pro photographers would be handled a bit more like a partnership rather than hire and fire. Obviously not.
04-29-2016, 06:04 AM   #1271

Sounds deeply troubling in the absence of details. Looks to me like a very proficient way of mismanaging a brand (a brand in dire need of visibility and good word of mouth).
04-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #1272
Pentaxian

Well as someone said on this forum before...."Let the pro's do their jobs".
04-29-2016, 06:26 AM   #1273
Site Supporter

I have contract with Pentax directly anymore, but the nordic and baltic distributors
Attached Images

04-29-2016, 06:33 AM   #1274
Pentaxian

I have contract with Pentax directly anymore, but the nordic and baltic distributors
Is that due to Ricoh Pentax having a new business model where they organise at a regional rather than central level perhaps?
04-29-2016, 06:38 AM   #1275
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Indeed and I am under the impression that Canadians will have to wait a while longer before the K-1 appears anywhere in this country.
Your best bet would be to order from The Camera Store (Alberta) or Aden Camera (Ontario) for the best prices, of course when available.
I'm sure that my local stores that are still authorized Pentax dealers (on paper, at least) would be happy to take my money. Henry's website and Downtown Camera's (Toronto) website both allow you to pre-order the K-1. Meanwhile, Amazon Canada (amazon.ca) isn't even aware of the K-1 -- search for K-1 on their website and you get K-S1 in the results.

As far as price goes, camera stores in Canada regard the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price as the absolute minimum price, except when trying to clear out stock of models that are 3 years old or more. Sales are very rare and usually only amount to a 10% reduction in price. Every single dealer in Canada with a website is listing the K-1 for $2499 CAD with no discounts if you also buy the grip or a lens. So shopping around for a better price in Canada will be a fruitless search until the year 2019. The only retailer that regularly offers a small discount is Easyship123 (Stratford, Ontario), which sells through amazon.ca.