Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 08:32 AM   #1276

It wouldn't be appropriate for me to comment really on the why's and wherefores as I know nothing about it but it seems strange that what you're implying is that they will continue to have ambassadors for the K3 and the action cameras but not their flagship professional cameras - for instance I don't think there are any ambassadors using the 645Z either are there? I know Matt Emmett in England was lent one but it's not his daily camera. It seems illogical to me when marketing a professional orientated camera not to have professional ambassadors representing it but I know nothing of the Ricoh plan. I do however know that what Canon did in the 1970's to put themselves on the map was target pro's heavily with free gear and that's why at sporting events there were suddenly a load of Canon lenses on the touchline and at Wimbledon etc. This put them on the map and created a halo effect around a brand that until then was just an also ran to Nikon and in sales volumes Pentax too. As a result Canon started selling large volumes of consumer and pro cameras until they became the dominant player in the market. The technique that Nikon had used in the 1960's was used by Canon in the 1970's and in my view it would make some sense for Ricoh to do the same thing in the 2010's!

I just wanted to add Kenspo (despite the fact you once did slap me down on here LOL (don't worry - no biggie!) that I too have found your genuine enthusiasm for the brand and your open communications with us has greatly added to the anticipation of this camera for me and I suppose many others so it seems to me from where I stand that you've done a good job! I'm about to go out shooting some landscapes this afternoon with my gripped K1 and 24-70mm in advance of a model shoot I'm doing tomorrow in a forest. I can't wait as up to now I've been trying it out around the house and there's only so many 36 megapixel images you really need of cat's food bowls and bookcases LOL!

I wish you well in the future and hope you enjoy your K1!

jonlg
Jonathan Gorse Photography

04-29-2016, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #1277
Veteran Member

Thank you for the kind words everyone I will still be out there doing a job with Pentax, so there will be many pics to come in the time ahead

Here is the beauty with grip and 24-70!
Attached Images

04-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #1278
Veteran Member

I think Ricoh is losing here Kenspo, the K1 could be a succes mostly because a lot of people wanting to go FF even waiting for years, your work is important to the people who dont know what is a Pentax camera, and bring potencial customers for the K1ii or the K1iis, when the sales of the cameras maybe wont be that big.

I hope the best for you and expect more pictures from you

04-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #1279
Veteran Member

Yes, Its Ricoh who are the losing part here. I still get my gear, but dont have to answer to them anymore. But i will still do a good job, since i still have a contract to promote K-1 in this area. So there will enough pics in the time to come

04-29-2016, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #1280
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi there, Kenspo,

I don't know anything about your ambassador contract with Ricoh/Pentax at all obviously, but one thing is on my mind: did Ricoh get sour over you announcing that they signed a contract over the deal with the Sony 100mp medium format sensor? I was a bit surprised to read your post "revealing" this info, and perhaps it is not related at all, but I can imagine sharing such snippets of inside information is a sensitive point in this day and age of internet sharing.
Anyway, sincerely hope it has not backfired on you, and that your relations with Ricoh/Pentax remain of value to you (and Pentax of course).
And looking forward to your images with the DFA lenses.

Chris
04-29-2016, 12:02 PM   #1281
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
kenspo, you may not have followed it, but before you, the forum has seen another brand ambassador. It was benjikan (Benjamin Kanarek, a well know fashion photographer from Paris and North America) and I do still remember that the divorce with Pentax wasn't nice.
Arrogance of equally talented people isn't a problem, except that business managers have to manage a business by balancing various elements, including sponsoring which, by the way belong to marketing activities and budget, but a CEO of Ricoh, Canon or Nikon have clearly other things to then to read letters of someone asking to get for free two camera bodies and three lenses. If Kenspo talks about his relationship with regional sales & marketing staff of Ricoh, to me it looks much more realistic versus a fashion photog among many in Paris who writes directly to the CEO of a Japanese conglomerate and is upset because the CEO isn't going to change the strategy of the company for him.
04-29-2016, 12:29 PM - 3 Likes   #1282
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey everyone - we're all speculating again and cannot possibly know all the facts. Taking care to avoid projecting conclusions and limiting hyperbole is probably a good idea.

04-29-2016, 12:37 PM - 3 Likes   #1283
Pentaxian

+1 monochrome.
Let's don't spoil the fun using our new toy - that i do find extrordinarily pleasant to use , and think we all should be gratefull to Ricoh Imaging ; for something we don't know about from the start, the facts, nor the developments.
Kenneth still enjoys pentax gear and sill takes his job where he wants to.
Life must go on !
04-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #1284
Veteran Member

+1 There nothing really bad for kenspo, he still getting his gear and still have a local contract and will provide pictures.

For us this doesn't change anything, the camera is as great as before.

For Pentax Ricoh, well, they still get the word of mouth from kenspo from his local contract.
04-29-2016, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #1285
IOO

Photos: Gallery
All the best to Kenspo, and thanks for sharing information.
Here are two pictures I shot this evening at a danceperformance. The light wan't easy, and first hour With the camera. So this is just snapshots.

04-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #1286
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Hi there, Kenspo,

I don't know anything about your ambassador contract with Ricoh/Pentax at all obviously, but one thing is on my mind: did Ricoh get sour over you announcing that they signed a contract over the deal with the Sony 100mp medium format sensor? I was a bit surprised to read your post "revealing" this info, and perhaps it is not related at all, but I can imagine sharing such snippets of inside information is a sensitive point in this day and age of internet sharing.
Anyway, sincerely hope it has not backfired on you, and that your relations with Ricoh/Pentax remain of value to you (and Pentax of course).
And looking forward to your images with the DFA lenses.

Chris
No, there is no bad blood between me and Pentax. They just dont wanna have ANY ambassadors for the K-1
04-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #1287
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
No, there is no bad blood between me and Pentax. They just dont wanna have ANY ambassadors for the K-1
You have been a very good ambassador for the brand.Ultimately that is what they need {not every person impressed by Canon while lenses buys their $$$$ stuff; some just buy $$$ stuff}. Regardless of what Ricoh may think, their investment in you has been good for them; you should feel good about it.

BTW - I have been impressed with how you have handled this situation with grace and dignity {words I don't personally associate with hard rock}
04-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #1288

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
So are you still an ambassador for the K-3 or other APS-C K-mount cameras?
04-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #1289
Veteran Member

Hehe, i can handle non rock'n roll stuff too But thank you for that! For me, its a good thing that the local distributor is really happy with me and my work, so they still wants me as a part of the team. So for me, it makes no difference, beside that i won't send any stuff or pics to Ricoh directly anymore. But i still get all the gear i need and will continue work hard to make the brand grow. I will be all over the place all summer, so i will make sure more people get Pentax printed in their brains hehe

---------- Post added 04-30-16 at 12:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
So are you still an ambassador for the K-3 or other APS-C K-mount cameras?
In theory, but i won't use aps-c as much anymore
04-29-2016, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #1290
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
BTW - I have been impressed with how you have handled this situation with grace and dignity...
What "situation"?

He still gets equipment worth in excess of US$ 8000 to use for free and states nothing changes for him except that he won't be sending pictures to Ricoh directly anymore (but apparently to the distributor).

Ricoh apparently just decided that they don't need a double relationship with him, given that he is taken care of by the Ricoh distributor.

I fail to see the failure on Ricoh's behalf and also would have expected anyone in a professional relationship with Ricoh to not make a public deal about not getting an additional role that they for some reason expected to be offered.