Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Can someone tell me which of the specifications are "jaw dropping"?
I think kenspo was talking about some of the features, not specifications.

02-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
None really, but when I look at my three amigos and this, voice of Spock goes in my head "It's only logical"
02-17-2016, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Jaw dropping? The price.

5 axis stabilization for a full frame sensor is a first. (or maybe not. Sony may have it). But nice nonetheless.
Electronic shutter in live view.
There are quite a few little things that show up in the menu video that are interesting.
Three dials and extensive ability to configure to your usage pattern.

It is the price. This is $1000 less than he D810 and very close in spec, better in some not as good in others.

$1000. That buys you a very nice lens.
02-17-2016, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say at the price the whole damn package is pretty jaw-dropping. No, it doesn't have 4K video, a gazillion megapixels or thousand-frame-per-second still rates, but it is a competent 36MP full-frame DSLR with some nice tricks (five-stop, five-axis IBIS; pixel shift, etc and rugged construction) at what seems to be an absolute bargain price. Provided there are no horrific QC upsets, I think we're on a winner here.

Given the price difference to the D810 (for example) and the availability of decent second-hand fullframe glass and an inexpensive full-frame kit lens, we may even see some ship-jumping into the Pentax camp from onlookers with APS-C cameras and not that much invested in their own system's optics.

02-17-2016, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #65

QuoteQuote:
Pentax takes advantage of the sensor's available movement in order to develop additional features, such as the Pixel Shift Resolution setting. This mode shifts the sensor in order to capture full color data on each pixel by compositing four shots. This grants exceptional clarity, lowers noise, and boosts the effective resolution to 42MP. Additionally, the K-1 has a motion correction setting that allows this function to be used even when shooting handheld.
Wow, didn't expect that feature come so soon after it was introduced with the K-3 II.

Headphone and microphone jacks are good, but I did expect 4K recording capabilities.
02-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Almost certainly no. Ricoh has very clearly and publicly stated that they consider video to be at the bottom of their list of priorities and they aren't investing R+D into improving video capabilities on their SLR models. (heck, they seem to take a step backwardswith each successive generation). Don't get me wrong, I love Pentax cameras, and I am quite excited by the K-1, but it's foolish to expect that it or any future Ricoh SLR will make sense as a video solution any time soon.

If you want video in an SLR, Canon with Magic Lantern is where it's at. If you are OK with mirrorless, Panasonic or Sony.
Well...sad because my workflow, and the workflow of the team I built, is based in Pentax K3 cameras with their video capabilities - as well as their photography capabilities.

We use a total of 7 Pentax K3 cameras to perform various cinema duties in and around work. With those 7 cameras there are at least 21 lenses.

Our Pentax cameras have been seen in many high profile projects.

What I will now do, is abandon Pentax as a tool, as part of my workflow here at work. At the very least, 1080p/60 and clean HDMI out, were the things that could have allowed me to keep Pentax in the tools set we have.

Sad, because Sony has so many better options, I am compelled to go that route especially since we have invested in a Sony FS7 system and the associated e-mount route.

Sad because I was one of the few people who were using Pentax K3 cameras in a professional workflow.

Sad because having those two little features could have meant many more Pentax products.

Sad.
02-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Thus all the rumors have ended. It is now a reality. Now it's time to hear from users what this camera can do.

02-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question for those smarter then I am. If using your crop lenses in crop mode, anyone know what the crop resolution would be? Any better then my current K5iis?
02-17-2016, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Question for those smarter then I am. If using your crop lenses in crop mode, anyone know what the crop resolution would be? Any better then my current K5iis?
About the same: 15mp
02-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #70
Veteran Member

LED light for the K-Mount, Minijack etc and card slot. Change info in viewfinder and top lcd. As i said, not all find that jaw dropping. I do!

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 12:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I think kenspo was talking about some of the features, not specifications.
Exactly. I said it was HW related
02-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
"Type/construction: PENTAX KAF2 bayonet mount (AF coupler, lens info contacts, K-mount w/ power contacts). Usable lens series: KAF3, KAF2 (power zoom compatible), KAF, KA mount lens"

What about "K" lenses?
The official press release:

Lenses compatible with this mechanism: K-, KA-, KAF-, KAF2- and KAF3-mount lenses; screw-mount lenses (with an adapter); and 645- and 67-system lenses (with an adapter). Some functions may not be available with certain lenses.

Pentax K-1 Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com
02-17-2016, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
It looks great. I've gone from being a die-hard film shooter not interested in digital, to an enthusiastic APS-C digital user not interested in a larger format, to being very excited about this camera thanks to its great-looking specification and price
This replicates my photographic journey almost exactly. I am perfectly happy with my K30 and K50 and have absolutely NO need for full frame at all, but I'm so very, very tempted to get a K 1 eventually just because. Well done Ricoh
02-17-2016, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #73
Veteran Member

Yeah, and Motion Controllable PS means that you can do pixel shift on stuff that have movement.
02-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #74
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
LED light for the K-Mount, Minijack etc and card slot. Change info in viewfinder and top lcd. As i said, not all find that jaw dropping. I do!
+1 those are pretty nice features. I am looking forward to using that viewfinder and setting it up the way I want...
02-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Yeah, and Motion Controllable PS means that you can do pixel shift on stuff that have movement.
Can be used with strobes? or only with continuos light? not moving people, but product photography (stills)