Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 570 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #76
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Well...sad because my workflow, and the workflow of the team I built, is based in Pentax K3 cameras with their video capabilities - as well as their photography capabilities.

We use a total of 7 Pentax K3 cameras to perform various cinema duties in and around work. With those 7 cameras there are at least 21 lenses.

Our Pentax cameras have been seen in many high profile projects.

What I will now do, is abandon Pentax as a tool, as part of my workflow here at work. At the very least, 1080p/60 and clean HDMI out, were the things that could have allowed me to keep Pentax in the tools set we have.

Sad, because Sony has so many better options, I am compelled to go that route especially since we have invested in a Sony FS7 system and the associated e-mount route.

Sad because I was one of the few people who were using Pentax K3 cameras in a professional workflow.

Sad because having those two little features could have meant many more Pentax products.

Sad.
Normally I bristle at the "I'm leaving Pentax" posts because they're usually just whining... but you really do have a valid reason to be disappointed - though I can't say I'm surprised at the outcome given Ricoh / Pentax's (lack of) prioritisation of video in their DSLR functionality thus far. Personally, I think it will be quite some time before they offer competitive video capabilities, if in fact they ever do. For now, Sony / Canon / Panasonic undoubtedly offer a better proposition for video...

02-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
LED light for the K-Mount, Minijack etc and card slot. Change info in viewfinder and top lcd. As i said, not all find that jaw dropping. I do! F sounds pretty special.

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 12:41 AM ----------

Exactly. I said it was HW related
Lights are a nice touch. A

Yeah, and Motion Controllable PS means that you can do pixel shift on stuff that have movement.
Could be super feature for landscapes m

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
+1 those are pretty nice features. I am looking forward to using that viewfinder and setting it up the way I want...
I'm intensely curious about customizable VF.
02-17-2016, 04:51 PM - 13 Likes   #78
Veteran Member

You win!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Can someone tell me which of the specifications are "jaw dropping"?
You were the FIRST ONE TO WHINE IN THIS THREAD!!! GOOD FOR YOU, MAN! You're our PROZAC POSTER BOY OF THE DAY!

What's NOT to like? It's cheap, gorgeous, full frame, pixel shift resolution, small, waterproof, looks like the 67's baby digital brother...

COME ON, MAN! LET'S CELEBRATE!!!! We've been waiting since 2001!!! DON'T RAIN ON OUR PARADE!

Congratulations, Pentax and Ricoh! Awesome!!!!

Cheers,
Cameron
Pentaxian since 1996

Last edited by Cambo; 02-17-2016 at 10:42 PM.
02-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm having trouble accessing the Ricoh Imaging website. Looks like the site's been Slashdotted...

02-17-2016, 04:52 PM - 8 Likes   #80
Veteran Member

Me in Early February: "No way I'm going to be an early adopter. I'll wait and see how it performs over the next year."

Me This Morning: "USD $1799? That's tempting. But probably too good to be true."

Me As of 2PM PST:

02-17-2016, 04:52 PM - 3 Likes   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
While I am staying with the cropped sensor and will wait for the K3 follow on camera - Pentax clearly maintains it reputation of providing the most bang for the buck. This is looks like a very solid camera at a great price. It sets the standard for Price Performance.
02-17-2016, 04:52 PM - 7 Likes   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Proud to be a Pentaxian today.

Looks great, great specs.

We are playing with the big boys now.
We have been playing with Hasselblad and Phase One all along...

02-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #83
rlatjsrud

I wish to try that camera in person at B&H or Adorama.
02-17-2016, 05:00 PM - 2 Likes   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kind of torturous to be in Cebu through tomorrow and not be able to swing by and pick one up....
02-17-2016, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #85

Adorama video on K-1

CNET (mostly about LCD screen)
02-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, and Motion Controllable PS means that you can do pixel shift on stuff that have movement.
I assume the in body stabilization works while panning with the K-1 like the K-3II does? I'm still trying to get my head around 5 stops of stabilization, especially with a 35mm sensor. Applied to the old rule of inverting the focal length, a shot at 300mm that shouldn't be slower than 1/300 second without stabilization could be shot at 1/10th of a second with this stabilization. If you are shooting a moving object like a bird or a race car, as long as you pan to keep your subject in the viewfinder, you should get lots of sharp pictures, even if you are handholding the DFA 150-450. Just make sure your biceps are strong enough!
02-17-2016, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #87
Pentaxian

Hand-held Pixel Shift would be a winner for me; there are times I simply do not have the time or the flexibility of workflow to use a tripod in my work, and gathering that extra bit of "bite" to medical images would be of great importance. But as with all things, I shall see how these new features pan out in the field before jumping in.

I hope they do a follow-on model with a few cost savings - I would be quite happy to accept a fixed screen, for example - although I suspect the pentaprism hump is already too full of goodies to accept an onboard flash. Never mind; I'm almost always using a ring flash for work these days anyway.
02-17-2016, 05:10 PM - 2 Likes   #88
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So my questions are
- what is new in the prime IV (because video specs are a mirror image of the prime III) and
- is there an extended iso range? And
- what is the pixel pitch of the sensor. To determine if it is the d800 or D810 sensor or maybe yet another one.
- Can I connect the camera to my wifi network (as a client) in order to sync images to my pc?
02-17-2016, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #89
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Hand-held Pixel Shift would be a winner for me; there are times I simply do not have the time or the flexibility of workflow to use a tripod in my work, and gathering that extra bit of "bite" to medical images would be of great importance. But as with all things, I shall see how these new features pan out in the field before jumping in.

I hope they do a follow-on model with a few cost savings - I would be quite happy to accept a fixed screen, for example - although I suspect the pentaprism hump is already too full of goodies to accept an onboard flash. Never mind; I'm almost always using a ring flash for work these days anyway.
Just wait a year like me.. the Firmware will be solid, any kinks should be worked out hardware wise, and the price a bit lower..
02-17-2016, 05:13 PM   #90
Pentaxian

I wonder how all those people who plunked down that more than that for a Canon 6D or Nikon 610 feel now. Oh well, Pentax came out with a good price, for a camera with the same MP as what Nikon is selling for $2700 American. Pentax users will have what they want, and they 6D , D610 guys still need a 36 MP camera if they want to see any improvement over a K-3.

All my FA, F and A lenses are starting to feel a little more appreciated.

Last edited by normhead; 02-17-2016 at 05:49 PM.