Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #91
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Yeah, and Motion Controllable PS means that you can do pixel shift on stuff that have movement.
Are you allowed to talk about the features now? More specifically, do you have the go-ahead to test out features and report back to us? I'm curious about the Pixel Shift on moving objects and what DA/APS-C lenses are supported in the Full Frame mode..

02-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure but I think my K-50 looks a little embarrassed.

Seriously, this is my first dslr and I love it. But looking at the K-1 all I want to say is......WOW!
02-17-2016, 05:22 PM - 4 Likes   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Well...sad because my workflow, and the workflow of the team I built, is based in Pentax K3 cameras with their video capabilities - as well as their photography capabilities.

We use a total of 7 Pentax K3 cameras to perform various cinema duties in and around work. With those 7 cameras there are at least 21 lenses.

Our Pentax cameras have been seen in many high profile projects.

What I will now do, is abandon Pentax as a tool, as part of my workflow here at work. At the very least, 1080p/60 and clean HDMI out, were the things that could have allowed me to keep Pentax in the tools set we have.

Sad, because Sony has so many better options, I am compelled to go that route especially since we have invested in a Sony FS7 system and the associated e-mount route.

Sad because I was one of the few people who were using Pentax K3 cameras in a professional workflow.

Sad because having those two little features could have meant many more Pentax products.

Sad.
In a sense I understand... In another sense, I don't:
- You had choosed a K3 while there were better option at time. K3 far from being the best for video. I think some panasonic and Sony bodies have a solid reputation and pro gear like RED and alike are quite good.
- it is just a tool man. You know what? I am no photographer but software engineer and I am not complaining the K-1 doesn't allow me to develop apps for it or whatever. If Sony is better for you go for it.
- Honestly, no that not just the 60fps instead of 30 that is the real problem and you know it. All in all this was cutting the video feature, being able to get a cheaper sensor, less R&D etc or asking for 500-1000$ more for full 4K with the 42MP BSI sensor of Sony. But maybe most video oriented people would have still choose Sony anyway or RED or Panasonic or Nikon but many still shooters willing to pay 1800$ would not accept to pay 2300-2800$ just for the addition of great video...

Really get the best tool for the job. Gear is just gear and there no reason to think to much about brands.
02-17-2016, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #94

May I now serve crow to all the folks who said the camera wouldn't cost less than $3K?

My only disappointment is that it doesn't offer raw compression. I wish at least the DNG files could have a compressed option, for when I need to rattle off a few 999 image timelapses that might not even turn out LOL.

02-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #95
Pentaxian

Or if your K3's still do the job just fine, keep them. Don't toss it all out in a huff just because the successor isn't everything you wanted it to be and spend money replacing them that could be put to other uses.
02-17-2016, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #96

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I can't believe Ricoh Imaging Canada's website already has been updated with K-1 info. During the Hoya era that website had cobwebs.

"The Camera Store" (Calgary) website is already taking pre-orders ($2499 CAD, pretty much straight exchange for the US price). Henry's website is so far ignoring the K-1 announcement (they have carried very little Pentax stock for the last couple of years - most Pentax items are special order).
Henry's has been useless for years regarding Pentax. I live in Ontario but buy from Calgary. If only they had come out with this camera a couple of years ago when our dollar was at par.....
02-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #97
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Oh happy days, I read it has interchangeable screens capability, anyone seen any details anywhere for these... for us old manual focus boys.

02-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
May I now serve crow to all the folks who said the camera wouldn't cost less than $3K?

Yes. Yes, you may. A supply of cutlery too, if you will, please.

I would appreciate, however, some clarification - how does compressed DNG differ from JPEG?
02-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #99
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
I'm not sure but I think my K-50 looks a little embarrassed.

Seriously, this is my first dslr and I love it. But looking at the K-1 all I want to say is......WOW!
My first DSLR was the K-x some 6 years ago. Back then, I looked at the flagship K-5 and thought WOW! too.. So I know how you feel. Then, only 3 years later, ending up with the successor K-5II. learn on the K-50 until you've outgrown it would be my advice and wait for the bargain. By then the K-0 might be out.
02-17-2016, 05:30 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
Henry's has been useless for years regarding Pentax. I live in Ontario but buy from Calgary. If only they had come out with this camera a couple of years ago when our dollar was at par.....
I live in Ontario and I agree. I bought from thecamerastore and Mcbain Camera before.
02-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #101
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Impressive camera, more impressive RRP price point.
There was so much discussion about how much this fabled FF camera was going to be and how it would compare with the other brands' offerings.
I think this camera is going to turn heads on all counts...
02-17-2016, 05:33 PM - 3 Likes   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Are you allowed to talk about the features now? More specifically, do you have the go-ahead to test out features and report back to us? I'm curious about the Pixel Shift on moving objects and what DA/APS-C lenses are supported in the Full Frame mode..
Haven't heard anything else i will do test and stuff like that, when and if i have the time to do so. I was signed to sell in Pentax to non-pentaxians and pro marked. And just be a Pentax face in public here in Scandinavia. Maybe Pentax HQ will use me more on later stages. I do rock concerts and studio work. Everything else i do on my free time. Same with all my time here. They dont expect me to, but i do it when i have the time. Most functions people ask me about, is often functions i hardly ever use, so its hard to answer properly on everything before i have the time to test. But i will always try to give answers. But i hope people understand why i sometimes can't answer on everything
02-17-2016, 05:35 PM - 2 Likes   #103
Veteran Member

wow. I had low expectations for this camera in terms of video, and even so I was massively disappointed. The specs are barely acceptable for a 2013 camera... Can't see any reason why I should go for this even over a second hand camera from any other brand.

Unfortunately Pentax falls away as an option for me. I do have to shoot video for work (besides stills), and this thing does not look good. It is very obvious Pentax doesn't care about video... So what if it is a decent stills camera. And hey, it even caught up to old Nikons in terms of that overlay LCD inside. Wooohooo! Any APS-C or FF camera is a decent stills camera. The only reason to get this is if you want to use old Pentax lenses to their fullest, or insist on using a Pentax. It's cheap? Yeah... but a second hand Canon or Nikon is cheaper. Yeah, the Pentax has SR. But for stills I don't care much about SR, it's much more useful for video. You can clearly see the difference there.

I wonder if the pro market is going to be interested in to this camera, to me it squarely falls into the hobbyist field. It's acceptable for a 645Z to have terrible video, at that price point the clients will be hiring videographers anyway if they are interested into video. But a FF...

Unless Pentax announces a camera with significantly improved video capabilities, or even mentions they are working on that, I'll be getting something else when it's time to upgrade. Maybe Olympus...?
02-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
That would be me. I expected more camera and a higher price.
02-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Haven't heard anything else i will do test and stuff like that, when and if i have the time to do so. I was signed to sell in Pentax to non-pentaxians and pro marked. And just be a Pentax face in public here in Scandinavia. Maybe Pentax HQ will use me more on later stages. I do rock concerts and studio work. Everything else i do on my free time. Same with all my time here. They dont expect me to, but i do it when i have the time. Most functions people ask me about, is often functions i hardly ever use, so its hard to answer properly on everything before i have the time to test. But i will always try to give answers. But i hope people understand why i sometimes can't answer on everything
Fully understand... Waiting for your feedbacks on two sweet K-1s!