Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
It have LED lights....
Including four cleverly hidden at the back of the foldy-outy LCD. At least they are white ...

02-17-2016, 05:40 PM   #107
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
That would be me. I expected more camera and a higher price.
Ah well, never mind. No use dwelling on it, eh?
02-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #108

Photos: Albums
Under Other Features, they state "WiFi operation allowing camera control and image transfer to tablet or smartphone via the free ImageSync app". Does this also include Wifi to LightRoom? No reference made to tethering so I'm assuming their Wifi eliminates the need for tethering but given the image sizes, I'm curious as to how well (ie quickly) this would work in a studio setting.
02-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Well...sad because my workflow, and the workflow of the team I built, is based in Pentax K3 cameras with their video capabilities - as well as their photography capabilities.

We use a total of 7 Pentax K3 cameras to perform various cinema duties in and around work. With those 7 cameras there are at least 21 lenses.

Our Pentax cameras have been seen in many high profile projects.

What I will now do, is abandon Pentax as a tool, as part of my workflow here at work. At the very least, 1080p/60 and clean HDMI out, were the things that could have allowed me to keep Pentax in the tools set we have.

Sad, because Sony has so many better options, I am compelled to go that route especially since we have invested in a Sony FS7 system and the associated e-mount route.

Sad because I was one of the few people who were using Pentax K3 cameras in a professional workflow.

Sad because having those two little features could have meant many more Pentax products.

Sad.
*sigh* Amen.

We already have some Canon gear, though I'd hate to go that route for my own private use too.

What is that "new" Prime IV? Did they just take the regular Prime III and give it a new name? I don't see any changes in capabilities... the new Milbeaut does offer 4K, why doesn't this camera then?

02-17-2016, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #110
6x7

Very happy with the final product. Looking forward to use it with my SMC Pentax-M* 67 300mm F4 ED [IF] lens.
02-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^^ Me too. I was at $2,700 with more advanced features (AF, fps, buffer) but this is a great, solid, generalist K-mount camera with money spent on making images and saved on the cutting-edge things. Ricoh will learn from this and apply their experience (and continuing R&D) to their other platforms and to future iterations of the K-1 series.

Anyone who doesn't at least concede Pentax is back - anyone who doesn't believe the future is bright - will come around in future years.
02-17-2016, 05:45 PM - 3 Likes   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 #1? check
K1 #2? check
15-30? check

Hey Pentax, take my money already and ship this thing!!

02-17-2016, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #113

Others have already mentioned:

'SR II five-axis - 5 shutter steps compensation, panning and auto horizontal leveling'
'Pixel shift resolution - improvements to help compensate for motion'

But there is quite a bit of info buried in the announcement, including other potentially nice features:

"Compatibility with PENTAX Image Transmitter 2 tethering software (Software update required from RICOH IMAGING official website)"

"Clarity control and Skin Tone correction functions, a pair of the latest image processing technologies developed by RICOH Central Laboratory"

"...its body has been downsized to the minimum, thanks to the incorporation of a newly designed floating mirror structure.

"Natural Bright Matt III focusing screen, which is acclaimed for ease of focusing during manual-focus operation and a true-to-life rendition of defocused areas in the viewfinder image."

"In addition, by adopting a breakthrough artificial intelligence technology called deep learning to its algorithm,* it assesses each individual scene more accurately…"

The LED backlighting and menu logic customizations may prove to be favorable in multiple applications... such as commercial studio work.

Last edited by One3rdEV; 02-17-2016 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Added content
02-17-2016, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
wow. I had low expectations for this camera in terms of video, and even so I was massively disappointed. The specs are barely acceptable for a 2013 camera... Can't see any reason why I should go for this even over a second hand camera from any other brand.

Unfortunately Pentax falls away as an option for me. I do have to shoot video for work (besides stills), and this thing does not look good. It is very obvious Pentax doesn't care about video... So what if it is a decent stills camera. And hey, it even caught up to old Nikons in terms of that overlay LCD inside. Wooohooo! Any APS-C or FF camera is a decent stills camera. The only reason to get this is if you want to use old Pentax lenses to their fullest, or insist on using a Pentax. It's cheap? Yeah... but a second hand Canon or Nikon is cheaper. Yeah, the Pentax has SR. But for stills I don't care much about SR, it's much more useful for video. You can clearly see the difference there.

I wonder if the pro market is going to be interested in to this camera, to me it squarely falls into the hobbyist field. It's acceptable for a 645Z to have terrible video, at that price point the clients will be hiring videographers anyway if they are interested into video. But a FF...

Unless Pentax announces a camera with significantly improved video capabilities, or even mentions they are working on that, I'll be getting something else when it's time to upgrade. Maybe Olympus...?
Don't think they didn't weighted that... You may not just be worth it for them, no offence. Nobody complain McDonald's doesn't sell sushis... Sure some people have to go on a diet and eat fish and low fat things but that not the market of McDonald's... And even if the market of Sushis is big, this doesn't prevent McDonald's to be successfull.

And really I don't get why all people that want sushi should say loudly to everybody McDonald's sucks because they don't sell sushis. For that mater they don't sell or make cars neither phones or camera even many people are willing to pay high money for cars, smartphones or cameras.
02-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I expected more camera and a higher price.
Me too. Going south from $2500 gave me early warnings, though...
02-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #116

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
There is quite a bit of info buried in the announcement, including: "Compatibility with PENTAX Image Transmitter 2 tethering software (Software update required from RICOH IMAGING official website)"

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com
Thanks. Many different sites with different levels of completeness regarding the specs. That would be a deal breaker for me. Time to start counting and converting my Canadian Tire money. ;-)
02-17-2016, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #117
Veteran Member

Remember Sony, Canon and Panasonic are major manufacturer of Video, TV Camera equipment. This is a natural for them. That not the case for Ricoh.
02-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #118
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
There is quite a bit of info buried in the announcement, including: "Compatibility with PENTAX Image Transmitter 2 tethering software (Software update required from RICOH IMAGING official website)"

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Neat.. that is this Pentax Image Transmitter 2 Now Shipping - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com
02-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
May I now serve crow to all the folks who said the camera wouldn't cost less than $3K?

My only disappointment is that it doesn't offer raw compression. I wish at least the DNG files could have a compressed option, for when I need to rattle off a few 999 image timelapses that might not even turn out LOL.
I suppose you mean lossly compressed raws then ? Because all recent Pentax body (even a K30) have lossless compressed raw. My raw takes around 30MB on average on K3. I suspect K-1 raws will take 50% more so 45MB on average... Your timelapse should fit on a 64GB SD card.
02-17-2016, 05:58 PM   #120
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Anyone who doesn't at least concede Pentax is back - anyone who doesn't believe the future is bright - will come around in future years.
Except for the people trying to shove round peg into square hole when it comes to people wanting Pentax to be a video-oriented company.

That said, when they go mirrorless (provided they ever go mirrorless) then we can just shoot video and pull out the frames we want.