Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Altogether it's a good day for Pentax. They got their price low enough for me to think about it. I didn't expect that. Sure they lose a few more video users, but their main market, low end still users have to be impressed with the upgrade path. It gives us all the chance to sneak into a full frame without really wanting one. At that price, I can buy it just to use all those cheap FF lenses I own. For every high end video user, there are 99 guys like me. In terms of profitability this makes sense. It's still problematic, for me, but as I said, at that price, I can buy it because it's there. Not because I can justify it in any way, which I can't. And if I can get a few hundred bucks for my K-5, it has a K-5 built in.

I have a film 645, a couple of point and shoots, lots of film 35mm cameras, a K20D and a K-5 and a K-01. Why not an FF? At that price the only decision is when. By the holidays next year, there should be deals.

Last edited by normhead; 02-17-2016 at 06:13 PM.
02-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Except for the people trying to shove round peg into square hole when it comes to people wanting Pentax to be a video-oriented company.

That said, when they go mirrorless (provided they ever go mirrorless) then we can just shoot video and pull out the frames we want.
One step at a time. It feels like the did the things they know they can do well.
02-17-2016, 06:05 PM - 4 Likes   #123
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentaxians, before all the doomsayers kick in, just strut around your house like a peacock for an hour. Then read all the negative posts that will inevitably appear.

I'd certainly expected something similar to the D810 to have a similar price. As a hobbyist who already has 24Mp FF, I had no plans to buy the K-1 over the next couple of years, but ... that's changed.
02-17-2016, 06:07 PM - 2 Likes   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Altogether it's a good day for Pentax. They got their price low enough for me to think about it. I didn't expect that. Sure they lose a few more video users, but their main market, low end still users have to be impressed with the upgrade path. It gives us all the chance to sneak into a full frame without really wanting one. At that price, I can buy it just to use all those cheap FF lenses I own. For every high end video user, there are 99 guys like me. In terms of profitability this makes sense. It's still problematic, for me, but as I said, at that price, I can buy it because it's there. Not because I can justify it in any way, which I can't.

I have a film 645, a couple of point and shoots, lots of film 35mm cameras, a K2-D and a K-5 and a K-01. Why not an FF? At that price the only decision is when. BY the holidays next year, there should be deals.
I agree completely. This looks to be a terrific camera at a very competitive price which will suit the vast majority of Pentax users very well.

The negative comments and complaints that it doesn't do specific things (eg it isn't a perfect video camera) are in my opinion pretty pointless if not entirely unexpected. I remember reading the same sorts of nonsense when the K3 was released.

02-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #125
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Pentaxians, before all the doomsayers kick in, just strut around your house like a peacock for an hour. Then read all the negative posts that will inevitably appear.

I'd certainly expected something similar to the D810 to have a similar price. As a hobbyist who already has 24Mp FF, I had no plans to buy the K-1 over the next couple of years, but ... that's changed.

.. you may proceed with your strut, sir.
02-17-2016, 06:09 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Oh Sh_t!!!!! Damn you Pentax.
I had no interest in full frame. With this price now I have to find reasons not to buy it. I don't shoot video so video specs do not matter. I think Ricoh knows exactly who they are marketing to...
02-17-2016, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Remember Sony, Canon and Panasonic are major manufacturer of Video, TV Camera equipment. This is a natural for them. That not the case for Ricoh.
It's not natural for Olympus though, and Olympus is turning out pretty damn good cameras for videos lately. Samsung did a great job, without a video background either. Even Leica and Fuji are stepping up their game.

Now to be honest the K-1 might do the job for me, just. But I can find better cameras elsewhere, and given how this camera has not improved over previous Pentax cameras, it just does not make sense to invest into the system anymore. Other brands are getting better and better, and are already significantly ahead.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Don't think they didn't weighted that... You may not just be worth it for them, no offence. Nobody complain McDonald's doesn't sell sushis... Sure some people have to go on a diet and eat fish and low fat things but that not the market of McDonald's... And even if the market of Sushis is big, this doesn't prevent McDonald's to be successfull.

And really I don't get why all people that want sushi should say loudly to everybody McDonald's sucks because they don't sell sushis. For that mater they don't sell or make cars neither phones or camera even many people are willing to pay high money for cars, smartphones or cameras.
Yeah. Probably that's what they were thinking. We'll see if that was a good idea though, cause this camera mostly appeals to hobbyists (which is fine, they turn out great photos). Is it good to appeal to people who are "cheap"? I mean, they will buy the body because it's cheap. And then they'll buy second hand lenses from long ago. While other brands make money from new lenses etc.

I really wonder how much getting decent video into this camera would have cost. If they are using the new Milbeaut processor, 4K should come basically for free. What else is missing... a few firmware tweaks here and there, and that's it. Mind you what Lauren hoped for was very, very modest. It's something you'd expect from cameras launched years ago. I also didn't hope for more than using new-ish hardware and enabling them to do their job. I didn't hope for Pentax to leapfrog all competitors and offer something new. Just what other brands had years ago... and in two areas what Pentax had half a decade ago.

@monochrome: By the time Pentax will do decent video, there's no one left at that brand who would want to do so. Most have already left, and those who haven't will do so now. And customers once lost, who have sold their old gear, are hard to get back.

Pentax doesn't just lose the people who want to shoot video. They also lose the people who think they may want to shoot video, and the people that think their job will move into the direction of also having to shoot video. All of that while having hardware that is capable of doing decent video, and quite possibly even better than that used by Canon and Nikon. A DSLR, FF, with stabilized video and THAT screen? Not having to buy a Sony A7 II and deal with the form factor and lack of mirror? Could have been a chance for Pentax.

Btw., one of the biggest, if not the biggest electronics chain in Germany has gotten rid of their Pentax gear (at least I can't find any in a couple of shops that used to have it).

Last edited by kadajawi; 02-17-2016 at 06:19 PM.
02-17-2016, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #128
Veteran Member

Seems that Canon is feeling the Bern. Ups, sorry, feeling the K. They will announce three ''major'' news today.

Some very clever new features on this K-1 camera. Illuminated mount, back panel and card slot, PS, and most in my regards, the controls, with all those wheels. I think that this system of controls has a big chance to be followed by other manufacturers.

A big day for Pentax and Pentaxians.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 02-17-2016 at 06:36 PM.
02-17-2016, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #129
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
One step at a time. It feels like the did the things they know they can do well.
Well yeah.. they've always been a stills oriented brand. I suspect, unless stills grows quite unprofitable, they will remain a stills oriented company.
02-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The tilting screen will really help with my astro work. I wonder if they managed to reinstate the IR remote release holder slot in the grip? I think I will wait until the release date to order one. The Canuck Buck may be a bit stronger by then.
02-17-2016, 06:19 PM   #131
Veteran Member

I don't know much about video, but that the button you use looks like movie camera form the 1930's. So pentax caters for older video users. Haha.

But what is this about 4k interval video how does this work?

In addition to a host of distinctive visual effects available for movie recording,* the K-1 also provides the interval movie mode, which captures a series of 4K-resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels) movie clips at a fixed interval.

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com
02-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
meeeeyaaaaa!!!

I hope somebody puts out a kickass video with this thing, just because...

This may not be the place to ask, but was there ever any answer as to why we were delayed until now from the previous Christmas target? Just curious which feature or factor it was... The one I was betting on was the 42 pickle sensor, but lost that one...
02-17-2016, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #133

I'm happy with my lx100 for 4k video. Infact its tiny and comes along anyway. No other 36mp camera is great for video anyway...its kind of a waste. I'm glad its a photography tool as thats what pentax does best, obviously! The extra spice it has over the 'others' that aren't even in the running for most of us is just icing. The features all add up to a much better experience for exactly the shooting I like doing. And it's extremely affordable!

The d810 lacks the most important feature. That K-mount.
02-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #134

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Yes. Yes, you may. A supply of cutlery too, if you will, please.

I would appreciate, however, some clarification - how does compressed DNG differ from JPEG?
Compressed DNG, like the compressed NEF Nikon files that I've been using for years now, can still retain almost all of the image quality of a raw file, amazingly, at almost the filesize of a JPG file. I know it sounds like witchcraft, but it's true. I'll have test results to prove it, soon, too.

But, depending on how good the in-camera processing is, I could consider just shooting JPG for certain timelapse environments, though not all.
02-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #135
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
That is a lot of camera for the money!
Pretty much a D810 for almost half the money ($1G less)