Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I would say at the price the whole damn package is pretty jaw-dropping. No, it doesn't have 4K video, a gazillion megapixels or thousand-frame-per-second still rates, but it is a competent 36MP full-frame DSLR with some nice tricks (five-stop, five-axis IBIS; pixel shift, etc and rugged construction) at what seems to be an absolute bargain price. Provided there are no horrific QC upsets, I think we're on a winner here.

Given the price difference to the D810 (for example) and the availability of decent second-hand fullframe glass and an inexpensive full-frame kit lens, we may even see some ship-jumping into the Pentax camp from onlookers with APS-C cameras and not that much invested in their own system's optics.
Exactly. I have been using a Sony A7 II since it came out. My Pentax lenses, all of them worked very well with the A7 II. If the K-1 is at least as good as the Sony A7 II (and I think it will be, if not better), everyone who tries the K-1 is likely to be in for a big treat. This is a lot of camera for the money.

02-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks too complicated for me. But I do like that simpler silver camera at the beginning of the video.

Chris
02-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PENTAX/RICHO IMAGING **** OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT ***

We would like to report that unfortunately there was a mistake in the price of the new K-1 posted by our most trusted retailers. The real price for the new K-1 is $2779.99 NOT $1779. We repeat, the real price for the new K-1 is $2779.99. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

02-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
+1 those are pretty nice features. I am looking forward to using that viewfinder and setting it up the way I want...
Hey Ross, hope you are well down there in New Zealand.

02-17-2016, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
It's not natural for Olympus though, and Olympus is turning out pretty damn good cameras for videos lately. Samsung did a great job, without a video background either. Even Leica and Fuji are stepping up their game.
Olympus has a big video business in medical imaging and remember Sony invested $645 millions in Olympus
And like that was explain many time to you by others , Pentax have mention that video are not their priorities. If video is Your priorities, then go to the other guy because that the reality.
02-17-2016, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #156
Veteran Member

Just ordered mine from B&H. Now the wait is on for it to get here.
02-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Just ordered mine from B&H. Now the wait is on for it to get here.
Production should start in Q3 of 2016 barring any substantial delays with fulfillment beginning in early 2017....Doomed!

02-17-2016, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Olympus has a big video business in medical imaging and remember Sony invested $645 millions in Olympus
And like that was explain many time to you by others , Pentax have mention that video are not their priorities. If video is Your priorities, then go to the other guy because that the reality.
I love my Pentax gear but I gave up on looking to them for video years ago (although I do us Pentax glass with my Panasonic cameras). Pentax was behind from day 1 and then publicly lowered expectations. I'm surprised that anyone here was expecting the K-1 to have a competitive video feature set.

As far as the K-1 is concerned, it looks great but I'll wait a year or so for a lightly used copy.
02-17-2016, 07:58 PM - 3 Likes   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote

We would like to report that unfortunately there was a mistake in the price of the new K-1 posted by our most trusted retailers. The real price for the new K-1 is $2779.99 NOT $1779. We repeat, the real price for the new K-1 is $2779.99. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Can't even spell the company name right.
02-17-2016, 08:01 PM - 4 Likes   #160

Wow...where to begin...Really?? Not improved? What I'm really lamenting is the standard of comments and assessment coming from people who can't make informed decisions based on their needs and shooting styles. Lose customers? They are so going to add to their client base. But if they haaavvvee to lose customers like the sampling of naysayers posting so far, I would have to say that the loss of that group of people is probably the biggest wow feature this release has provided by a long shot...
02-17-2016, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #161
bxf
Veteran Member

I understand that K-1 video specs are inadequate for some, so their disappointment is understandable.

However, I am of the opinion that there is only so much one can do with a camera, so I'd be curious to know, from those who are disappointed for reasons other than video limitations, what is missing in the K-1, especially given the price tag?

I'm not sure what "old technology" refers to in the context of the K-1. If there is anything newer and better, is it available in anything that resembles the K-1 price? If not, then the technology comparison is meaningless.
02-17-2016, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Olympus's image processor is based on Panasonic's Venus, so naturally they have good video capabilities. For better or worse, Pentax is tied to the Milbeaut processor, and it just doesn't have the capabilities of Sony/Canon/Panasonic's processors. With the exception of uncompressed HDMI-out, Pentax bodies generally have the same video specs as contemporary Nikons (also based on the Milbeaut). For the videophiles to get the kind of video they want, Pentax would either have to: (1) change processors, which would mean - if they could find someone to sell them a processor with great video - throwing out years of design experience and starting from scratch - not a quick or cheap proposition, or (2) somehow force SocioNext to make a Milbeaut that can catch up and surpass Sony, Canon, and Panasonic's lead in video capabilities - and if they could do that, I think they would.
02-17-2016, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #163

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
So Pentax isn't doomed? The threads complaining about the lack of a FF camera can finally die?
Now they can piss and moan that the K-1 isn't the camera they wanted - it's already starting :-P
02-17-2016, 08:31 PM - 4 Likes   #164
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
wow. I had low expectations for this camera in terms of video, and even so I was massively disappointed. The specs are barely acceptable for a 2013 camera... Can't see any reason why I should go for this even over a second hand camera from any other brand.

Unfortunately Pentax falls away as an option for me. I do have to shoot video for work (besides stills), and this thing does not look good. It is very obvious Pentax doesn't care about video... So what if it is a decent stills camera. And hey, it even caught up to old Nikons in terms of that overlay LCD inside. Wooohooo! Any APS-C or FF camera is a decent stills camera. The only reason to get this is if you want to use old Pentax lenses to their fullest, or insist on using a Pentax. It's cheap? Yeah... but a second hand Canon or Nikon is cheaper. Yeah, the Pentax has SR. But for stills I don't care much about SR, it's much more useful for video. You can clearly see the difference there.

I wonder if the pro market is going to be interested in to this camera, to me it squarely falls into the hobbyist field. It's acceptable for a 645Z to have terrible video, at that price point the clients will be hiring videographers anyway if they are interested into video. But a FF...

Unless Pentax announces a camera with significantly improved video capabilities, or even mentions they are working on that, I'll be getting something else when it's time to upgrade. Maybe Olympus...?
We tried to tell you a long time ago to skip Pentax and find a more video-centric system. But nooooo you kept hanging on for dear life, adamant that Pentax would turn around their approach on video.

This K-1 is incredible for photographers. For videographers, you want Canon, Olympus, Fuji, RED..
02-17-2016, 08:36 PM - 2 Likes   #165

Photos: Albums
Do I wish it had better video? Of course I do. That was the rationale I used years ago when I switched from my K10D to my K7. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed and have not done much with video since. (currently have a K5) But at $1,800 USD, would I pay an extra $500 for video? Not a chance. So I think they've done their research and realized that the sweet spot in the FF market is to be very price competitive and at this price you can't have it all. At a higher price, people new to DSLR's wouldn't likely choose Pentax because the name recognition simply isn't there anymore. At this price, they may just bring in some new users as well as all of us who don't "need" 4K video. If it had 4K at the price of D810, everyone would be complaining that it's too expensive. I think they've nailed it at this price point.