Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 570 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 01:29 AM   #196
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mwilky55 Quote
Hey Ross, hope you are well down there in New Zealand.
All good thanks. We are enjoying a very nice summer

02-18-2016, 01:29 AM   #197
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I wonder if this is as professional as a Pentax will get, or if they wanted to get an affordable FF out of the door before doing something higher end (and then hopefully with proper video? Like, just use current hardware and invest a tiny bit into finding out what is needed and implementing that in the firmware.)

Sometimes I feel like Pentax is intentionally holding back the video capabilities because of a deal with one of their suppliers...

A K-1 is still a big enough investment... If it will only serve well enough for a year then...
You're a hoot, you really are!
02-18-2016, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #198
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Ricoh USA? :P
The K-3 (AFAIK) and K-5II both had -3EV sensitivity on all points. You could easy check it by comparing the regular K-5 and K-5II in dark conditions - the improvement was easy to notice on all points, not just a center one. And the K-1 uses the same AF module as the K-3...
I called him on it and he reiterated that he confirmed with Ricoh. TBH though I think he is wrong

The Ricoh site sure seems to tout -3EV capability:

"High-precision AE/AF operation at –3EV illumination Extra-accurate auto-exposure and autofocus control, even in the dark

An illumination level of –3EV makes it difficult to see a subject with the naked eye, and almost impossible to make accurate focus with manual focusing. Even under such low-illumination conditions, the K-1 assures high-precision auto-exposure and autofocus operations.* Thanks to its upgraded algorithm, its autofocus response time for poorly illuminated subjects is greatly reduced. Coupled with its super-high-resolution imaging power, the K-1 delivers exceptional shooting performance in dark locations."

Can anyone confirm?
02-18-2016, 01:45 AM - 9 Likes   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
The K-1 captures Full HD movie clips (1920 x 1080 pixels; 60i/30p frame rate) in the H.264 recording format, and comes equipped with a stereo mic terminal for external microphone connection and a headphone terminal. The user can also adjust the audio recording level manually, monitor sound pressure levels during microphone recording, and cut down wind noise using a new wind noise reduction mode. In addition to a host of distinctive visual effects available for movie recording,* the K-1 also provides the interval movie mode, which captures a series of 4K-resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels) movie clips at a fixed interval.

Not that bad IMO.
Works for me. I made videos with Papa Roach, Black Stone Cherry, Slipknot, Judas Priest + + + With K-3 and K-3II..Think i still will deliver good video with the K-1 I think most of the complainers, just want Pentax to have have the same specs like CaNikon have, and most of them dont even use half of them. I KNOW K-1 will be a insane good camera.

And about the sensor. Yes, in theory its the same as used in the D810, but it has been rebuild and tweaked in a new and different way..So in my mind its a step better one.

Im off to play with a K-1 TODAY, so I'm in a good mood

02-18-2016, 01:48 AM   #200
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Works for me. I made videos with Papa Roach, Black Stone Cherry, Slipknot, Judas Priest + + + With K-3 and K-3II..Think i still will deliver good video with the K-1 I think most of the complainers, just want Pentax to have have the same specs like CaNikon have, and most of them dont even use half of them. I KNOW K-1 will be a insane good camera.

And about the sensor. Yes, in theory its the same as used in the D810, but it has been rebuild and tweaked in a new and different way..So in my mind its a step better one.

Awesome!

You lucky guy! Enjoy

Can you confirm -3EV AF on all points for us? DPR says just the center three row.

Cheers!
02-18-2016, 01:52 AM   #201
Veteran Member

And about the sensor. Yes, in theory its the same as used in the D810, but it has been rebuild and tweaked in a new and different way..
Honestly, I think they told you some marketing bullshit. But I'd love to be wrong.
02-18-2016, 01:55 AM - 2 Likes   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Awesome!

You lucky guy! Enjoy

Can you confirm -3EV AF on all points for us? DPR says just the center three row.

Cheers!
Will do when i meet the guys from Ricoh later today

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Honestly, I think they told you some marketing bullshit. But I'd love to be wrong.
Do you really think they put the same sensor in without doing something with it? I've shot with the D810, so i will be able to compare. And i will ask Ricoh directly in our meeting later today!

02-18-2016, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #203
Site Supporter

Man the Ricoh sites for the new K-1 are really bloody fantastic.

This one made my pants move...
02-18-2016, 02:08 AM   #204
Pentaxian

You lucky guy!

The K-1 looks almost perfect to me, I can't wait to see more of what it can do.

About all the video complaints: I use video only occasionally and don't really care about 4K yet, it would only give me too much data to work with. But I do care about the real SR for video of my K-5 which was removed in later models. Do we know what kind of video SR the K-1 offers yet?
02-18-2016, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
I called him on it and he reiterated that he confirmed with Ricoh. TBH though I think he is wrong
He IS wrong. Not for the first time...
QuoteQuote:
Light metering measured at ISO 100 and with a 50mm F1.4 lens; focusing measured at ISO 100, at room temperature and with 25 middle sensors
Features2 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING
02-18-2016, 02:29 AM   #206
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
About all the video complaints: I use video only occasionally and don't really care about 4K yet, it would only give me too much data to work with. But I do care about the real SR for video of my K-5 which was removed in later models. Do we know what kind of video SR the K-1 offers yet?
They mentioned it in a youtube video and said that it was not supported. I have no idea why.
02-18-2016, 02:31 AM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
But I do care about the real SR for video of my K-5 which was removed in later models. Do we know what kind of video SR the K-1 offers yet?
quote from ricoh site on what you can set the smart dial mode for SR:

Still-image shooting: ON/OFF of SR mechanism
Movie recording: ON/OFF of Movie SR mechanism

I think there is your answer..
02-18-2016, 02:33 AM   #208
Veteran Member

I will play with the K-1 all weekend, so then it will be easier for me to answer questions better. Just keep that in mind
02-18-2016, 02:37 AM   #209
Veteran Member

for videasts:
It does have a new 'flat' mode. Could be advantageous when it comes to preserving dynamic range and IQ for video..
02-18-2016, 02:53 AM   #210
Veteran Member

I will play with the K-1 all weekend, so then it will be easier for me to answer questions better. Just keep that in mind

Waiting anxiously for "No more games, real K1 pictures" and "No more stills, just K1 videos"