Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 04:32 AM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally, all I wanted and expected was a K-3 IIs with a FF 36 Mpx sensor. I got that, and a bit more. But I never expected to be able to get it for £1,599. That is an amazing price. I'm not bothered about its video capabilities, though I can understand some people's disappointment. But just in case I ever get the 4K video bug, I bought a Panny G7, which is cheap and capable in the video arena. This to me is a better solution than putting a 4K capable sensor into a DSLR and charging a lot more for it.

02-18-2016, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #227
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Can be used with strobes? or only with continuos light? not moving people, but product photography (stills)
I't like to know that too. Would be quite useful when it comes to best possible image quality for product shoots.

QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
Under Other Features, they state "WiFi operation allowing camera control and image transfer to tablet or smartphone via the free ImageSync app". Does this also include Wifi to LightRoom? No reference made to tethering so I'm assuming their Wifi eliminates the need for tethering but given the image sizes, I'm curious as to how well (ie quickly) this would work in a studio setting.
I've looked into the specs and this wifi module supports IEEE 802.11b/g/n, which is not bad, but not as fast as ac wich is used in my MacBook (and I assume in every other current computer).
02-18-2016, 05:02 AM   #228
Veteran Member

I was assuming that the K-1 was going to be £2k+ at least but as its so competitive @ £1599 pre-order, I think I'll have to start saving, even though I only got my K-3II 6-months ago.

I can't wait to try the FA43 and Sigma 85mm f1.4 on it! In terms of overall size, not a massive difference between the K-1/K-3II with the 85mm mounted on it, although a bit taller and heavier:Compact Camera Meter

The K-1s hand grip is also a little taller, which for me means I should be able to use it without the additional bottom grip, on the K-3II my little finger is always slipping off the bottom, same for the MZ-5N/MZ-S although they are a good deal lighter so not some much an issue.
02-18-2016, 05:17 AM - 2 Likes   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Please let us know if manual focusing is easier too. Thank you
Sure thing

02-18-2016, 05:29 AM   #230
Veteran Member

And please let us know how it renders skin tones. I've been using a D810 for a while now, and I've never been particularly happy with the skin tones out of the camera. Sometimes I give up and just produce B&W portrait because In can't get the tone quite right.
02-18-2016, 05:32 AM   #231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The rear LCD is mounted on four legs which slide in slots. The slots (or tracks) are open to the elements more or less.
I am a bit worried what will happen when dust, dirt or even sand accumulates in the slots which eventually it must. The ball shaped ends of the rods will most likely start to not move freely and grind along the length of the slots, wouldn't you think ?

Cheers
02-18-2016, 05:37 AM   #232
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
The rear LCD is mounted on four legs which slide in slots. The slots (or tracks) are open to the elements more or less.
I am a bit worried what will happen when dust, dirt or even sand accumulates in the slots which eventually it must. The ball shaped ends of the rods will most likely start to not move freely and grind along the length of the slots, wouldn't you think ?
It's possible, but I reckon occasional use of a dust blower and / or soft-bristled brush would keep the slots clean...

EDIT: Plus, while the screen can be moved around, I'd guess that 90% of the time people will use it like a non-articulating screen.

02-18-2016, 05:44 AM   #233

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
And please let us know how it renders skin tones. I've been using a D810 for a while now, and I've never been particularly happy with the skin tones out of the camera. Sometimes I give up and just produce B&W portrait because In can't get the tone quite right.
skin tones are always a nightmare, that's what forced me to get a color checker passport.
I'd love to see a camera able to do what Fuji used to back in the DSLR days, at the time of this writing it's a continuos war and tweaking with red, yellow and orange tones especially when lighting is far from perfect.
02-18-2016, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #234
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote

Cheers
A concern for me as well, though I'm not sure I'll use it that much anyway. And canned air should take care of the problem.
02-18-2016, 05:54 AM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
The sensor is NOT the same as in the D810, not in theory and not in reality. The D810 sensor has a true base iso of 47 (measured per DXO), and a user base iso of 64.
The Pentax has a user base iso of 100, so its true base iso will be around 80-90.
The Pentax may outperform the D810 at higher iso settings, but certainly not at iso 64, which it simply does not have.

Chris
I don't think there is a native base ISO. Its not a hardware design, but rather a compromise done in cooperation between the sensor company and the camera company. Assuming K-1 uses the same sensor as D810, there is no hardware requirement that selected ISO 64 (measured 47) has to be enabled. They may very well just start from ISO 100, even if the sensor might withstand more saturation. The compromises are risk of overheating the entire sensor (more electrons captured in the wells and more electrons to move around the chip) and risk of single pixel or row failure in case the sun is in the frame (should be a large risk during the eclipse 21. august next year).
02-18-2016, 06:02 AM   #236
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Pulling or pushing a sensor from it base ISO always gives lower DR (besides the K5 which strangely had a non linear iso 80 mode).

So if as suspected the K1 is native around iso 100 then offering a lower iso would only give reduced DR which I think we agree would be pointless.

If you need lower sensitivity for some shots then better to use a ND filter @iso100 and achieve Max DR the camera is capable of.

It is likely given the top ISO of this sensor that it will have the same or greater DR@iso100 than the D810@iso64
That would be quite an achievement, also in sensor development. The 2 year old Sony A7r, which may in fact have a sensor largely identical to the new K1, does not come near the maximum DR of the D810, mainly in the highlights it clips quite a bit more easily.
I would consider a native iso of 45-50 iso most beneficial for shooting in bright daylight, where the Sony A7r simply has to be underexposed and lifted in post. Highlight reconstruction goes a long way in nowadays raw converters, but always affects the image where the D810 may require less highlight reconstruction or shadow/midtone lifting.

Chris

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 02:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I don't think there is a native base ISO. Its not a hardware design, but rather a compromise done in cooperation between the sensor company and the camera company. Assuming K-1 uses the same sensor as D810, there is no hardware requirement that selected ISO 64 (measured 47) has to be enabled. They may very well just start from ISO 100, even if the sensor might withstand more saturation. The compromises are risk of overheating the entire sensor (more electrons captured in the wells and more electrons to move around the chip) and risk of single pixel or row failure in case the sun is in the frame (should be a large risk during the eclipse 21. august next year).
Oh yes there is absolutely a native lowest iso, and it is absolutely a hardware design. It comes down to how much photons the silicon wells can hold before they are saturated and clip. A larger Full Well Capacity is more expensive to produce as far as I know.

Chris

Last edited by Chris Mak; 02-18-2016 at 06:15 AM.
02-18-2016, 06:40 AM   #237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not particularly happy with the rather slow burst rate (I'm a sports photographer), but honestly, this is spectacular value for the price and I just might have to get one for the other photo work I do. Ricoh has definitely hit it out of the park on this one.
02-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like it, a lot. Can't afford it but perhaps when its been out a bit I may try to get my hands on one.

I do like that they have increased the coverage for the autofocus to 33 points with the 25 cross type points. Forgive me for being a little negative or if this has already been mentioned but what concerns me is if you look at the other comparable models from the other manufactures offer greater cross type point density and greater point density overall. However, you are paying almost twice as much for it. Considering the only full frames to come close to the price point of the K-1 is the canon 6d which is highly de-featured and the Nikon 710 which is closer in features but not quite there, the Pentax is a fantastic option. I just hope that the autofocus when combined with the new lenses blows the competition out of the water, or at least matches their performance.

Overall though, at this price point there isn't anything else out there that can hold a candle to what this beast of a camera that Pentax has created is offering. It's very exciting to see Pentax in the game and its makes me feel great that I have finally have a step up from my K-3 when the time comes.
02-18-2016, 07:24 AM   #239
Veteran Member

I'm actually quite pleased by what I see so far from the K-I. The price point absolutely did it for me. I wish it was out now so I could get my hands on it. Good job Ricoh!

Last edited by EdMaximus; 02-18-2016 at 07:26 AM. Reason: typo
02-18-2016, 07:29 AM   #240
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
And please let us know how it renders skin tones.
Green with envy. Wait, you weren't talking about Canikonians'?