Yéééé ! Finallly!

Not on the french Canadian Site thought... Produits?RICOH IMAGING CANADA
Tabernac'!

---------- Post added 18th Feb 2016 at 11:01 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Proud to be a Pentaxian today.

Looks great, great specs.

We are playing with the big boys now.
We no longer have to bow our heads in shame.

02-18-2016, 07:33 AM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Please stop mixing dedicated uses.
Serious video users dont take time-formats-functionnalities-limited DSLRs !!!
Well the idea here is to be able, to a certain extent, to mix Stills and Video use with one body and various lenses.
At least that's what some of us would want to do, we dont necessarily need high end video specs or features, for example I use my Pentax DSLR's as auxiliary cameras when shooting video with some dedicated Sony or Panasonic gear.
Im not a pro tough.

Telling someone to move on to Canon, Sony etc if they are serious about video is like telling a Pentax shooter to move on to Canikon High end FF is they are serious about photography.
02-18-2016, 07:36 AM   #243

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
I do like that they have increased the coverage for the autofocus to 33 points with the 25 cross type points. Forgive me for being a little negative or if this has already been mentioned but what concerns me is if you look at the other comparable models from the other manufactures offer greater cross type point density and greater point density overall. However, you are paying almost twice as much for it. Considering the only full frames to come close to the price point of the K-1 is the canon 6d which is highly de-featured and the Nikon 710 which is closer in features but not quite there, the Pentax is a fantastic option. I just hope that the autofocus when combined with the new lenses blows the competition out of the water, or at least matches their performance.
According to one of the PentaxPlus videos on youtube Ricoh developed a compact AF module in order to keep the overall size of the body down. So what we have are design compromises - they could have gone for more AF points and a larger body - or a more compact body with fewer points. Compactness is one of the qualities that Pentax users seem to prioritize.

Go in about 33 seconds into the video
02-18-2016, 07:47 AM   #244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I saw that video and am impressed with the focus tracking. It looks very much like its has improved greatly over the previous versions. I agree that the number of points is directly correlated to the reduction in size of the AF module, however, I still see that it could be a deciding factor for some customers. On the bright side they finally have the points in the "Rule of Thirds impact locations". That makes me very happy

02-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #245

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Question for those smarter then I am. If using your crop lenses in crop mode, anyone know what the crop resolution would be? Any better then my current K5iis?
15 MP in Crop mode. You can see some sample photos in DP Review sample Gallery. Some shots were with DA 70 f/2.4. Further they also showed a chart of some of the Pentax DA primes and the likely effect of the primes with K1. The sample pictures have both JPEG and RAW format and their file sizes.

First shots: Pentax K-1 pre-production sample gallery: Digital Photography Review
02-18-2016, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #246
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Mmmmm

Shipping April - Would that be April first

Nice to note they did the same stupidity with the name as they did with the istD* A name that will never illicit decent search engine hits.

Try it - google K1 and see how many hits you get for the 'failed' k-01

One of these days Pentax will wake up-to 21st century PR techniques in the meantime we get a good camera that is unsearchable and has a perceptual 'fools day ' Birth. !!

Surely it'll be a hit outside those in the know - not.
K-1 already takes the top 4 search results on Google, even if searching for Pentax K1. That didn't take long.
02-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #247

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
A concern for me as well, though I'm not sure I'll use it that much anyway. And canned air should take care of the problem.
You could, of course, just wash it off. Another advantage of weather proofing?
Brian

02-18-2016, 08:21 AM   #248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lightograph Quote
15 MP in Crop mode. You can see some sample photos in DP Review sample Gallery. Some shots were with DA 70 f/2.4. Further they also showed a chart of some of the Pentax DA primes and the likely effect of the primes with K1. The sample pictures have both JPEG and RAW format and their file sizes.

First shots: Pentax K-1 pre-production sample gallery: Digital Photography Review
The samples shot with the DA70, were in FF mode (36mp). I could not see any samples using the crop mode.
02-18-2016, 08:25 AM   #249
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
The samples shot with the DA70, were in FF mode (36mp). I could not see any samples using the crop mode.
That's not possible, is it? Doesn't the K1 auto-detect APS-C DA lenses and crop automatically?
02-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's not possible, is it? Doesn't the K1 auto-detect APS-C DA lenses and crop automatically?
No, there is full manual control over the crop function, or auto if you prefer. You can do it anyway you want.
02-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #251
Pentaxian

It does auto detect if you want it to. But you can also override it as you wish.
02-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #252
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
It does auto detect if you want it to. But you can also override it as you wish.
Ah, nice!

---------- Post added 02-18-2016 at 03:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
No, there is full manual control over the crop function, or auto if you prefer. You can do it anyway you want.
Cool feature! So lenses like the DA40 f/2.8 should work to some extent as FF lenses. Great stuff.
02-18-2016, 08:36 AM - 5 Likes   #253
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
We no longer have to bow our heads in shame.
Never had to.
02-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #254
Veteran Member

Ah, nice!

---------- Post added 02-18-2016 at 03:34 PM ----------

Cool feature! So lenses like the DA40 f/2.8 should work to some extent as FF lenses. Great stuff.
And the DA 10-17mm fisheye gets an extra 20 degrees horizontally making it 170 degrees at 10mm. It won't fill the frame though until about 15mm.
02-18-2016, 08:48 AM   #255
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
And the DA 10-17mm fisheye gets an extra 20 degrees horizontally making it 170 degrees at 10mm.
Only if you Dremel off the built-in lens hood