Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 570 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #286

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm excited to see the photos people are going to take with this camera, the filled out lens range, and the classic lenses like the 55mm f/1.8 I learned on with the K1000. There's no doubt they've put a lot of thought into this launch. Yay PENTAX!

02-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #287
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlH Quote
Just compared the prices B&H $1800 in the US, in the UK, WEX £1600 so that's a £400 mark up for us as usual.
An argument in itself for an influencial euro, with all european countries member of the euro-zone....
One often get what one deserve...

+ US taxes are nothing like european VATs.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 02-18-2016 at 12:01 PM.
02-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #288
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Any dude who says any camera is beautiful has serious mental problems.
If you watch the video, he really likes the K-1, even though he's just regurgitating the press releases.
02-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #289
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlH Quote
Just compared the prices B&H $1800 in the US, in the UK, WEX £1600 so that's a £400 mark up for us as usual.
No it's not, all but <£100 of the difference is the VAT, something most Americans don't have to worry about. There may be other tax differences such as import duty as well. Pretty close really.

02-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #290
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote

To play devils advocate.... vs the D810

K1 Pros:
- Shake Reduction
- Super Resolution mode
- GPS/Astrotracer
- better weather sealing (based on K3 vs D810... the D810 disappoints me compared to what I was used to)
- price
- AA Simulator
- multi-pattern white balance
- super flexi screen
- more cross AF points
- lots of lens selection
- less menu diving due to additional controls and buttons
- higher iso sensitivity
And what about:

- dual SD slots
- wifi
- flippy screen?

02-18-2016, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #291

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
And what about:

- dual SD slots
- wifi
- flippy screen?

Unfortunately plenty of folks (myself not included) would consider those to be disadvantages or annoyances, not advantages. Personally I'm now addicted to all three of those features, ironically.
02-18-2016, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #292
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
an influencial euro, with all european countries member of the euro-zone....
Short answer - No.

02-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #293
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
An argument in itself for an influencial euro, with all european countries member of the euro-zone....
One often get what one deserve...

+ US taxes are nothing like european VATs.
No need for the pro / anti EU debate here. Political opinions and discussion are divisive and will only inflame on an internet community like this.
02-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #294
Veteran Member

And what about:

- dual SD slots
- wifi
- flippy screen?

I missed the wifi, but I did put in flippy screen. Dual SD slots vs the dual slots of SD/CF on the D810... debatable. I prefer CF personally but I do appreciate the fact you only need to buy one card style with the K1.
02-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #295
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In Europe, I wait for you guys from the US to debug it before I buy a K-1. I look forward to your debugging feedback (mirror runaway? stuff like that) before I purchase.
02-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #296
Veteran Member

I missed the wifi, but I did put in flippy screen. Dual SD slots vs the dual slots of SD/CF on the D810... debatable. I prefer CF personally but I do appreciate the fact you only need to buy one card style with the K1.
I understand some folks still like/prefer the CF cards probably because of top speed (than most SD card can); but it is usually more expensive and more prone to bent pins. I think D810 has the CF card mainly because of backward compatibility with some older models. I am glad that Pentax/Ricoh does not follow that, never has and probably never will.
02-18-2016, 01:24 PM   #297
Pentaxian

I don't miss the CF card at all! They are much harder to find locally if I need a new card right now, and I did ruin a camera once when apparently I didn't get the CF card quite straight when I pushed it in. I'm much happier with the SD, including the fact that every working digital camera I have now uses them.

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 03:28 PM ----------

And what about:

- dual SD slots
- wifi
- flippy screen?

I don't have experience with WiFi on a camera, so I haven't developed an opinion about that yet, but I do like my phone's backing-up any pictures I've taken using it as I enter our house. I also have come to like flippy screens ... my brother has demonstrated how one can be relatively inconspicuous taking pictures, avoiding having people in the scene suddenly act differently because they see a serious camera being used to take pictures.
02-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #298
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
No need for the pro / anti EU debate here. Political opinions and discussion are divisive and will only inflame on an internet community like this.
Agreed, just couldn't help in respect of today's surrealistic news on that front...

---------- Post added 18-02-16 at 13:34 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
In Europe, I wait for you guys from the US to debug it before I buy a K-1. I look forward to your debugging feedback (mirror runaway? stuff like that) before I purchase.
Shipment date is April, 30st, here, in continental europe.
02-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #299
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I don't need 4K now. Personally I don't even care about 4K, my 1080p plasma is all I ever need. My eyes aren't that good. But I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two I get asked to do 4K. And what then? Sell all the Pentax gear and move to another brand?
There's always the possibility that there may be a more suitable Pentax option by then...
02-18-2016, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #300

That screen articulation mechanism looks amazing for doing macro on a tripod.