Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #316
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Penumbra Quote
Nice. Very Nice. Gotta get me one. The What Digital Camera video is a good overview, but only a crazy Englishman would dangle the camera by the articulating viewscreen and shake it around like that! Yikes! Not his personal camera, I guess...

02-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #317
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Getting cavity searched at customs when you "forget" to declare your new expensive toy = priceless
Whoa. Anyone who transports a K-1 in their "cavity" kind of deserves to get that through customs, don't you think?

---------- Post added 02-18-2016 at 11:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by klaatu3 Quote
only a crazy Englishman would dangle the camera by the articulating viewscreen and shake it around like that!
Yeah, that's how we roll!
02-18-2016, 04:30 PM   #318
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
"Have you anything to declare?"
"Umm.... yes my new Pentax K-1"
"That'll be £251.95 Sir, thank you kindly!"

Loss on deal = £210. Not so clever after all... unless you love Boston and take a proper break there!
The US will never prevent you to actually export one of their good. All benefit from them. I don't know for UK, but returning from a foreign coutry to France I was never asked to open my bag or whatever. I guess I must not have the right look. Not that I had anything interresting neither anyway. Or simply I didn't look sexy enough?

But sure anyway that I would take the opportunity for a free trip to the state for a thing like that... If was interrested that it.

But I'am sure waiting say 2 years from now, could get quite some interresting price on that gear. Maybe even 1000$ new or something like that. Would be nice.
02-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #319
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Only if you Dremel off the built-in lens hood
That won't help.

DA10-17 @ 10mm MFD film

The image circle does not cover the full frame until about 14-15mm, giving exactly the same angle of view as 10mm on APS-C.

DA10-17 @ 10 APS-C

DA10-17 @ 15 film

02-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #320
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stubyles Quote
Bitter Personal Experience?

Haha, very thankfully, NO. But I'm going to very safely guess it would not be pleasant.
02-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #321
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm adding myself to the happy dance!

Granted, a ff camera isn't in the cards for me right now, but I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on it to see how it handles in real-life situations. Realistically, my next camera purchase will most likely be a Panasonic advanced bridge camera with 4K video for my husband to use for the video and for me to use for still as a backup to my K5 (scratching head trying to figure out where to come up with $700 for that camera vs $1800 for the K1). Besides, I'm looking to get more use out of the 16-85 and 40 ltd that I bought last summer. Why lug around the extra weight of the K1 just to use it in crop mode?

Never say never, though.
02-18-2016, 05:22 PM   #322
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heatherslightbox Quote
Why lug around the extra weight of the K1 just to use it in crop mode?

Never say never, though.

Deep buffer, improved AF module, Improved Pixel shift mode, FF should you need it, potentially better ISO handling..

02-18-2016, 05:34 PM   #323
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Deep buffer, improved AF module, Improved Pixel shift mode, FF should you need it, potentially better ISO handling..
True. With the ability to use it in both FF and crop modes, it makes it even more versatile. In my case, I'd be more inclined to use it in FF for landscapes, macro, and architecture and in crop mode for wildlife.
02-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #324
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
That won't help.

DA10-17 @ 10mm MFD film

The image circle does not cover the full frame until about 14-15mm, giving exactly the same angle of view as 10mm on APS-C.

DA10-17 @ 10 APS-C

DA10-17 @ 15 film
The second photo @ 15mm has a slightly wider angle of view than the first - but what happens if you zoom out a bit to say 14mm? Will a bit more show up?

I did the calculations then watched Albert Siegel's review video at
and if you look at it from 2m 57s, he does a zoom in from 10 to 'about' 15mm on the 10-17mm, filming through the K-1 viewfinder. The field of view at 10mm extends well beyond the APS-C crop marks and this is maintained throughout his zoom until he fills the frame with the same widened coverage at 'about' 15mm. I'm just basing my opinion on that, have I missed something? Siegel's 10mm and 'about 15mm' viewfinder shots are below.
Attached Images

02-18-2016, 05:51 PM   #325
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heatherslightbox Quote
True. With the ability to use it in both FF and crop modes, it makes it even more versatile. In my case, I'd be more inclined to use it in FF for landscapes, macro, and architecture and in crop mode for wildlife.
Same here.. exactly how I envision using it. FF mode for close things, APS-C mode for far things.
02-18-2016, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #326

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
wow. I had low expectations for this camera in terms of video, and even so I was massively disappointed. The specs are barely acceptable for a 2013 camera... Can't see any reason why I should go for this even over a second hand camera from any other brand.

Unfortunately Pentax falls away as an option for me. I do have to shoot video for work (besides stills), and this thing does not look good. It is very obvious Pentax doesn't care about video... So what if it is a decent stills camera. And hey, it even caught up to old Nikons in terms of that overlay LCD inside. Wooohooo! Any APS-C or FF camera is a decent stills camera. The only reason to get this is if you want to use old Pentax lenses to their fullest, or insist on using a Pentax. It's cheap? Yeah... but a second hand Canon or Nikon is cheaper. Yeah, the Pentax has SR. But for stills I don't care much about SR, it's much more useful for video. You can clearly see the difference there.

I wonder if the pro market is going to be interested in to this camera, to me it squarely falls into the hobbyist field. It's acceptable for a 645Z to have terrible video, at that price point the clients will be hiring videographers anyway if they are interested into video. But a FF...

Unless Pentax announces a camera with significantly improved video capabilities, or even mentions they are working on that, I'll be getting something else when it's time to upgrade. Maybe Olympus...?
Or splash out a whole $300 on a Sony HDR.
Jesus...
02-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #327
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
I did the calculations then watched Albert Siegel's review video at Hands-on with the new Pentax K-1. - YouTube and if you look at it from 2m 57s, he does a zoom in from 10 to 'about' 15mm on the 10-17mm, filming through the K-1 viewfinder. The field of view at 10mm extends well beyond the APS-C crop marks and this is maintained throughout his zoom until he fills the frame with the same widened coverage at 'about' 15mm. I'm just basing my opinion on that, have I missed something? Siegel's 10mm and 'about 15mm' viewfinder shots are below.
He doesn't specifically say he's starting at 10mm in that video, and I reckon my image shows that the image circle (at MFD at least) is a lot smaller than his video might suggest.

In the viewfinder of my PZ-1 (only 92% coverage as opposed to 100% with the K-1) the image is clearly unacceptable until at least 14mm. I think it's safest to assume the DA10-17 will be useless on full frame below 15mm, but I will certainly be re-testing when my K-1 arrives
02-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #328
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
He doesn't specifically say he's starting at 10mm in that video, and I reckon my image shows that the image circle (at MFD at least) is a lot smaller than his video might suggest.

In the viewfinder of my PZ-1 (only 92% coverage as opposed to 100% with the K-1) the image is clearly unacceptable until at least 14mm. I think it's safest to assume the DA10-17 will be useless on full frame below 15mm, but I will certainly be re-testing when my K-1 arrives
I look forward to reading about that then! A wider fisheye is one of the things I would want from my K-1 if (probably when!) I get one, the edge quality will of course be important too.
02-18-2016, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #329
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lightograph Quote
15 MP in Crop mode. You can see some sample photos in DP Review sample Gallery. Some shots were with DA 70 f/2.4. Further they also showed a chart of some of the Pentax DA primes and the likely effect of the primes with K1. The sample pictures have both JPEG and RAW format and their file sizes.

First shots: Pentax K-1 pre-production sample gallery: Digital Photography Review
Thanks for that info. The DA70 info is great, as I've got that lens. :-)
02-18-2016, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #330
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lightograph Quote
15 MP in Crop mode. You can see some sample photos in DP Review sample Gallery. Some shots were with DA 70 f/2.4. Further they also showed a chart of some of the Pentax DA primes and the likely effect of the primes with K1. The sample pictures have both JPEG and RAW format and their file sizes.

First shots: Pentax K-1 pre-production sample gallery: Digital Photography Review
I just cycled through all 33 images -- all of them are at 36.2 MP -- no crop mode. the DA 70 shots are show in Full Frame mode.