Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 04:04 AM   #391
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Size seems to be comparable, Nikon 87x209mm and Pentax 91,5x203mm but weight is 1540gr for the Nikon and 2020 for the Pentax.
The Nikon has in lens shake reduction and is slightly cheaper. Both are expensive though..
Thanks for the info, Gimbal!

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Could we all please stop talk about Ken Rockwell?
I've haven't cared about his ramblings for years, and I still don't care.

02-20-2016, 04:26 AM - 4 Likes   #392
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
But he's only trying to support his growing family.
That actually is the scary part...think of the effect on our gene pool as a species

I never go to his site, exactly because of his biased, trolling, click-bait modus operandi. Never a penny towards a raving idiot like him. Just leave him in the mental gutter where he resides.
02-20-2016, 04:56 AM   #393
Veteran Member

When I think of it I realize one thing that nobody really said.

We all said the K1 had a set of compromize and issue and was good. Some poeple where saying D750 is better. I agree for some use.

But I realize that K1 is simply the best FF ever for landscape/outdoor. There no single FF out there even the A7R-II that match it for that setup. The D810 is not match neither.

When you combine 36MP, articulated screen, pixel shift, built in astro tracer and GPS, superior build you understand that there no single camera that match it on a tripod outdoor. The 645Z still is superior because of its larger sensor but that's it.

D750 is a wedding camera. It has mostly better AF mainly for it and that's all. Even for common use outside of AF it is worse on all aspects: not as good ergonomics, not as well built, no GPS tagging, not as fine resolution and so on. I agree it would do a better job for sport provided you doesn't need that much reach because its resolution is too limiting.

And for me the single thing that will make or break K1 as just the best outdoor/landscape camera or as outstanding overall camera is its AF-C performance. If it has good enough AF-C, then the K1 will be the graal, the best overal camera you can buy, better than D810 or A7R-II all alround for a better price. If the AF-C lag behind, it will remain a great camera but a bit more for its niche.

And nothing prevent Pentax in 2 years to bring us a K1-II that is exactly like a K1-II but with BSI sensor, 8FPS and even better AF for 2500$ with the first K1 still available for 1000-1200$ new.
02-20-2016, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #394
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
When I think of it I realize one thing that nobody really said.

We all said the K1 had a set of compromize and issue and was good. Some poeple where saying D750 is better. I agree for some use.

When you combine 36MP, articulated screen, pixel shift, built in astro tracer and GPS, superior build you understand that there no single camera that match it on a tripod outdoor. The 645Z still is superior because of its larger sensor but that's it.

D750 is a wedding camera. It has mostly better AF mainly for it and that's all. Even for common use outside of AF it is worse on all aspects: not as good ergonomics, not as well built, no GPS tagging, not as fine resolution and so on. I agree it would do a better job for sport provided you doesn't need that much reach because its resolution is too limiting.

And nothing prevent Pentax in 2 years to bring us a K1-II that is exactly like a K1-II but with BSI sensor, 8FPS and even better AF for 2500$ with the first K1 still available for 1000-1200$ new.
Let's not compare specs too much, we don't even know the full story of the K1 and the new lens roadmap. That said, (1) be aware that you can buy right now a lot of high-end glass for you Nikon not available for Pentax. (2) The K1 system must convince people not a K1-ii in two years time. K5-ii and K3-ii did not solve shortcomings of the original model. The difference in pixel count between 24 and 36 MP is marginal. 24 MP should have better high ISO performance and 36 MP has a small edge in resolution GIVEN that you have lenses that work with 36 MP (and your technique should also be high-end).

02-20-2016, 05:23 AM   #395
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The difference in pixel count between 24 and 36 MP is marginal.
It's a little bit more than marginal - I have both.
02-20-2016, 05:30 AM   #396
Veteran Member

Let's not compare specs too much, we don't even know the full story of the K1 and the new lens roadmap. That said, (1) be aware that you can buy right now a lot of high-end glass for you Nikon not available for Pentax. (2) The K1 system must convince people not a K1-ii in two years time. K5-ii and K3-ii did not solve shortcomings of the original model. The difference in pixel count between 24 and 36 MP is marginal. 24 MP should have better high ISO performance and 36 MP has a small edge in resolution GIVEN that you have lenses that work with 36 MP (and your technique should also be high-end).
Here we disagree on most things

- 24M with low pass filter vs 36MP without low pass filter and pixel shift is for me huge difference in sharpness. This would be 30-40% higher MTF figures without pixel shift. Same difference as 6 vs 12MP because of the low pass filter. With pixel shift combined, you are at MF levels and no FF will match. A bit like like 6MP vs 24MP. Might only count for huge print, and might not be necessary in most cases, but this rule out D750 for this kind of practice.
- D750 vs D810 performance in high iso is very similar under the error margin... Even if I check at say 6400 iso, there no visible difference in measurements. 36MP is not a problem. Noticably A7-II 24MP and D600 24MP have worse high iso performance than their 36MP counterpart (A7R-II and D800).
- K1 is already great even if the AF is not improved at all just from being FF 36MP and all the other stuff (SR, pixel shift, superior ergonomics, build quality...). The question is more will it be the camera of the year taking the whole market because AF-C is great, or just a great camera.
- In both case a refresh with a -II in Pentax tradition is good marketing move. It allow to correct a few things, bump prices and get some sales. In all case, I would expect AF-C to be 100% fixed by that time, meaning there would be no argument for a Canikon.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 02-20-2016 at 05:35 AM.
02-20-2016, 06:04 AM - 4 Likes   #397
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Right. Let's not compare specs too much. As you said, we don't know the full story of the "K1" (It's K-1, BTW).
Instead, let's just rave on about the virtue of Nikon over Pentax based on, on, um, well, er, uh. Oh, nevermind. We don't need to base it on anything, Nikon is just better.

02-20-2016, 06:16 AM - 2 Likes   #398
Pentaxian

I don't even get why some of us dare to compare K-1 to any other cam
Pentax is just different
02-20-2016, 06:17 AM   #399
bxf
Veteran Member

AF will not reach Nikon standards (camera and lens focusing engine wise)
Although this is what conventional wisdom repeatedly states, we won't know the facts until the camera is tested with some new lenses.
02-20-2016, 06:20 AM   #400
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know the feeling

Sometimes I feel like I belong to a sect: The Pentaxians. No matter what they say, we only believe what we want to believe about Pentax. I sometimes ask, why Ricoh or the previous owners of Pentax do not use that force to move forward? Just meditating during my Pentax break!
02-20-2016, 06:29 AM - 2 Likes   #401
bxf
Veteran Member

24 MP should have better high ISO performance
Current notions state that for latest sensor technology, the number of pixels has no effect on noise, as for any given sensor size, the total amount of light gathered by all the pixels is about the same. When viewed at 100%, it is only the different levels of magnification (due to the different pixel size) that make the noise more or less visible.
02-20-2016, 06:43 AM - 2 Likes   #402
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I don't even get why some of us dare to compare K-1 to any other cam
Pentax is just different
Yep. We already have Canon and Nikon. We don't need a third.

Sony is an alternative technology. Fine cameras, different path.

Pentax is THE alternative full-range dSLR brand. Once we get that message across we can stop measuring Pentax against some supposed index and start measuring Pentax against its (and our) goals.
02-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #403
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sunfog Quote
Dear fellow Pentaxians!
Does anyone know if the O-ME53 Magnifier Eyecup fits the K-1? There is no information on ricoh-imaging.
Highly improbable, although I assume it will mechanically fit. On the one hand, the finder window of the K-1 is bigger than on the APS-C models, while the finder image is much bigger. On the other, the O-ME53 has a slightly narrow view even on my K-5 II. But you might possibly use it when shooting the K-1 in crop mode, although it might be difficult to read the finder infos.
02-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #404
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rai93 Quote
Ugh I've just got into Photography with a DSLR and just from spending the last 2 weeks reading through articles, playing with my K50 and the images in LR, that K1 looks gorgeous. The extra e-dial made me look at my K50 sadly, I definitely love the e-dials on the k50, but an extra one would definitely help. The built in GPS, Wi-Fi, and supported tethering basically make that camera my birthday present next year once the price drops, I've gained more experience, they've worked out any bugs in the firmware, and maybe they'll replace the 2.0 USB with 3.0. Only real downside to me but like I said I'm a newbie :P.
There is *so* much you can do with your K-50. If you really want the K-1 next year, by all means go for it, but - personally - I'd recommend trying to squeeze everything out of the K-50 first. I've never owned one, but there are plenty on here that do, and it is rightly considered to be an excellent camera
02-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #405
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There is *so* much you can do with your K-50. If you really want the K-1 next year, by all means go for it, but - personally - I'd recommend trying to squeeze everything out of the K-50 first. I've never owned one, but there are plenty on here that do, and it is rightly considered to be an excellent camera
The only real drawback from the K50 is AF performance: it struggle in low light and is not precise enough for narrow deph of field portraits. To me AF is an area where a high end system really help the newcomer. But that the same issue with eveything Pentax has outside K3, K3-II and now K1.

But I agree with you 100% that K1 is likely not the way to go. A decent K1 kit like 24-70 + 70-200 even going third party that more like 4000-5000$. If you are quite wealthy and enthousiast about photography, that's justified. Otherwise well getting a K3 for a bargain on the occasion with a 17-50 and 55-300 is more like 1200$... That already quite some sum but much more logical for many.