Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #451
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Ken, would you mind checking and explaining four items in the K-1 camera configuration, please:

a) What exactly does the "flash sync speed" config do and which options are there?

b) what exactly can be configured around the "electronic shutter" in live view.

c) What does "Certification marks" do?

d) what is meant by "Change AF point button"?

Prior models didn't have either and since we don't have a manual, it's an unknown. But you should be able to find out.
If and when i have the time Camera is going to some journalists for a few days now.

02-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #452
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Sorry, only caught some paragraphs. You are talking about working out 36mp raws?
I'm using a Mac Mini late 2012 Intel Quad Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, fusion drive ... with Capture One. Never had a problem in editing any raw or big tiff image file up to 100MB. So, easily powerful enough for the task to work out the K-1s raw files IMO. But maybe I didn't get your point.
No offence but my point was not to say the Mac Mini is not powerfull enough to post process 36MP image but to match the deskop configuration I provided earlier in that post.

This was in response that mac are not more expensive for the same gear and resell better so I took a basic desktop config: 4 core i5 3.4Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD and check what Mac matched that and for what price. The mac mini wasn't able to match it. This doesn't mean you could not process high resolution image with it.

A 720€ desktop you would have brought 3 years ago sitll have the same price today and would resell a bit under that like any used gear. He didn't loose value. It also provide the same performance between the 1700 and 2200€ iMac. Even if we add a good screen to the computer (something that you don't need to buy each time you upgrade/change computer) for 300€, that still half the price.

Mac have the design/look, nice intuitive software and so on. They are not king of provide the most bang for the buck and that not by any mean a problem, there both Ford and BMW in cars. Why not computers?

Last edited by Nicolas06; 02-21-2016 at 12:54 PM.
02-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #453
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
This was in response that mac are not more expensive for the same gear and resell better so I took a basic desktop config: 4 core i5 3.4Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD and check what Mac matched that and for what price. The mac mini wasn't able to match it. This doesn't mean you could not process high resolution image with it.
Thanks for clarification! - Mac OSX vs. PC/Windows is another story ...
02-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #454
Veteran Member

Thanks for clarification! - Mac OSX vs. PC/Windows is another story ...
Well both are great that the thing to understand But you should know why you take one or the other

02-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #455
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Well both are great that the thing to understand But you should know why you take one or the other
for sure
02-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #456
Veteran Member

Well, the K-1 certainly has a lot of appeal.

Right now, I have a K-3 with 7 lenses, only two of which are FF compatible (SMC FA 50mm 1.4 and SMC-D FA 100mm 2.8 Macro). I understand that my SMC-DA 35mm 2.8 Macro Ltd. will also work stopped down (how the hell does that make a difference and how far stopped down?).

My understanding is that the K-1 in APS-C cropped mode will provide a 15mp image. I'd like to see side by side comparisons with any given APS-C-only lens of pictures taken with:

K-1 in cropped mode (15 mp)
K5 (16 mp)
K3 (24 mp)

I suspect that for sure, the K3 will prove superior with an APS-C lens, and that the K5 might be equivalent to the K1, with the built-in moire filter of the K5 casting some doubt on sharpness.

In short, with my APS-C lenses, I might be better off taking pics with my K-3 than the K-1 in cropped mode. Am I wrong? I have an investment in APS-C lenses, and I would want to use them to the best possible advantage.

Regardless, I'm happy with my de-bugged K-3 now; I think I'll wait to let others work out the inevitable bugs on the K-1 and let the price drop on it before I take the plunge.

John

PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page
02-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #457
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, only caught some paragraphs. You are talking about working out 36mp raws?
I'm using a Mac Mini late 2012 Intel Quad Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, fusion drive ...
That's one of the best possible buys from the used market. Because Apple doesn't sell quad core minis anymore

02-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #458
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not to be a wet blanket, but we all know it is "shipping in April." so perhaps another 50~60 days before any of us get delivery.
02-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #459
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
In short, with my APS-C lenses, I might be better off taking pics with my K-3 than the K-1 in cropped mode. Am I wrong? I have an investment in APS-C lenses, and I would want to use them to the best possible advantage.
There is also the possibility of simply going manual crop with the K-1 - using your APS-C lenses in FF mode, seeing what works (or not) and what aperture or focal length gives you results you are happy with, and then manually cropping the 36MP image to suit (if needed).

Some DA zooms may need this sort of approach more than primes, as they may (for arguments sake) vignette very heavily at wide zoom, but work fine at normal or longer zoom, and so produce fine 36MP images at those longer focal lengths. If you relied on the camera to just apply auto-crop to such a DA zoom, all you would ever get is 15MP images, and miss the chance for lots of problem-free 36MP images.

Unless, of course, the Pentax 'Auto' crop function is smart enough to selectively crop a DA zoom lens only to the focal lengths where it is needed - eg for the DA 17-70, 17mm = apply crop, 30mm= apply light crop, 50mm and above = do not apply crop. I doubt this will be the case, however.

So IMHO just shooting 36MP all the time, and manually cropping, may in general be the best way to go, particularly with DA zooms. (And for non-Pentax crop lenses the camera may not have in it's database].
02-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #460
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
c) What does "Certification marks" do?
Probably displays regulatory conformance marks like CE, FCC, UL, etc. Some Android devices have a similar option, in Settings > About [phone/tablet] > Regulatory information.
02-21-2016, 07:28 PM   #461
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
I was under the impression that the DA*55 was FF fully compatible, but according to DP review reports that it's useable stopped down. Not sure to what extent it needs to be stopped down. Anyone know if there are examples of this lens on a FF camera and an example of it having to be stopped down?
On the youtube review (posted on the front page of PF here) the guy said he saw no vignetting on his copy.. it should be a solid lens on the K-1.
02-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #462
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
On the youtube review (posted on the front page of PF here) the guy said he saw no vignetting on his copy.. it should be a solid lens on the K-1.
I'm sure he is shooting in JPEG and the K-1 is correcting the image with in camera software. It makes sense that people don't see any problem with the DA* 55mm in OOC JPEGs. The images I have seen from the A7 need correction. I'm sure there will be a lens profile for the DA* 55mm for most RAW processors and most people will be very happy with the results.
02-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #463
Pentaxian

Hi all,
DPR saying 14 "out of production" lenses being optically corrected in K-1, has anyone got that list ?
Kenspo ?
02-21-2016, 09:32 PM   #464
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Hi all,
DPR saying 14 "out of production" lenses being optically corrected in K-1, has anyone got that list ?
Kenspo ?
Adam posted the list in another thread.. it is a lot of the FA lenses

---------- Post added 02-21-16 at 10:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I'm sure he is shooting in JPEG and the K-1 is correcting the image with in camera software. It makes sense that people don't see any problem with the DA* 55mm in OOC JPEGs. The images I have seen from the A7 need correction. I'm sure there will be a lens profile for the DA* 55mm for most RAW processors and most people will be very happy with the results.
He shows you the liveview straight from the camera in the video..
02-21-2016, 10:11 PM   #465
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Adam posted the list in another thread.. it is a lot of the FA lenses

---------- Post added 02-21-16 at 10:34 PM ----------

He shows you the liveview straight from the camera in the video..
The histogram is pulled from the JPEG image that is used to display the image on the rear LCD. No manufacturer I knows of shows a RAW histogram.