Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 570 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 06:20 AM   #496
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
I've been to the US, in California there was a 17% VAT on electronics. While there is no federal sales tax or VAT, individual states will have sales taxes. Just a quick search finds that at B&H in New York, the state sales tax of 8.875% local sales tax applies to purchases within the state. Orders outside the state should incur sales tax payable to the local state tax revenue offices - I'm assuming.
Technically you are supposed to pay the sales tax (use tax) if you order from B&H and you don't live in NY, but most people don't.

The MSRP for this lens was probably set close to 2 years ago with expectation of what exchange rates would be and countries have gotten stupid with their currencies.

02-23-2016, 06:58 AM   #497
Pentaxian

I've been to the US, in California there was a 17% VAT on electronics.
California sales tax (which is not the same as a VAT) is 7.5%. Counties and cities can enact local taxes of up to 2.5%. So 10% is the highest sales tax rate in California.
02-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #498
Veteran Member

$289 bucks is a lot of money, you can get 1.5 to 2.5 weeks worth of groceries with $289 bucks.
I don't think one should pre-order an expensive high end camera if he is after optimizing what he get with his money. Electronics typically don't hold its value and quite likely you could pay half that price in 1-2 years buying used for the same product. And for 1/4th to 1/10th of the price, you could likely get a used camera that may not be FF or latest generation but would still does 90% of what the K1 does.

For most people, counting how much the K-1 represent in the number of day they must work to get the amount of money necessary to get it would be quite depressive. For the same price you could get an old used car that could serve you a few years.

One should be honest with himself what he is after and act accordingly.

I mean how in the heck can they justify the way they set prices ?
They don't have to justify anything I think. Isn't Autralia a country were everybody can set the price he want?

On Amazon the price of same ltd lens can vary from 400 to 550€ from one day to the next and price and change at any moment... Usually the DA12-24 is sold for more than 800€ but if you were buying it at some shop that wanted to get rid of Pentax stock at the right time, you could have it for less than 400. They also sold 16-50 for 350€ instead of 900.

The D810 in france is sold in some shops at 2169€ and in others 3200€ theses days. But used if you can content yourself with a D800 instead (not that different) you could get it used for as low as 1350€.

At some point the K30 + 18-135 was sold for 400 while the lens alone is typically asking for 350€ and even a used K30 at that time was selling for 300€. If you'd brought and resell, you'd make a profit.
02-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #499
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some interesting comments from others..............!

The comments are really good, they explain the good of the K-1.

diglloyd - Blog

02-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #500

I'll sit back and watch this one for a while unless of course Ricoh wants to get a few out in pro hands for exposure.
Are you reading this Pentax North America? I'll be shooting Leon Russell , Blackberry Smoke and Joe Satrianni next month.
02-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #501
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Floggin Rodger Quote
I'll sit back and watch this one for a while unless of course Ricoh wants to get a few out in pro hands for exposure.
Are you reading this Pentax North America? I'll be shooting Leon Russell , Blackberry Smoke and Joe Satrianni next month.
Do you need any help?
02-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #502
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The depreciation of a K-1 during the months I get to use it, versus waiting to buy it at a lower price, is equivalent to 'rent' for the period, since I used the K-1 instead of something else for all those months.

02-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #503
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The depreciation of a K-1 during the months I get to use it, versus waiting to buy it at a lower price, is equivalent to 'rent' for the period, since I used the K-1 instead of something else for all those months.
You rent something actually today waiting for K-1?
02-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #504

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Do you need any help?
I might go 6 months without shooting anyone but when it rains , it pours.
02-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #505
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am waiting for you beta testers to discover the bugs like flappy mirrors, sensor stains, light leaks etc.. In the mean time saving a few hundred and a world of aggravation.
02-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #506
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
You rent something actually today waiting for K-1?
Either you use time or time uses you.
02-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #507
Pentaxian

Wow at that price I might be able to afford one when the prices drop in the next year or so. Or maybe I'll just bank on some dirt cheap APSC stuff like a K-5 IIS.

I am a tad dissapointed they couldn't even just force the damn thing to run video at 60 FPS though.

That being said this was probably the best thing they could have done, the price is perfect for enthusiasts and professionals alike, and it'll offer just the right feature sets as well for any serious photographer.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 02-23-2016 at 02:55 PM.
02-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #508
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Wow at that price I might be able to afford one when the prices drop in the next year or so. Or maybe I'll just bank on some dirt cheap APSC stuff like a K-5 IIS.

I am a tad dissapointed they couldn't wouldn't even just force the damn thing to run video at 60 FPS though.
They can. They decided not too.
02-23-2016, 02:57 PM   #509
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They can. They just decided not too.
What I find odd is it runs 60 FPS interlaced, why not just unlock the progressive mode for it? Of course if we had a bigger userbase we could have had Pentax firmware hacked by now to just put in the feature ourselves but I can't help but be a bit confused why it wouldn't be that way out of the box

Still though, looks like a great camera. I have a feeling this will be a very popular camera by every day enthusiasts.
02-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #510
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
What I find odd is it runs 60 FPS interlaced, why not just unlock the progressive mode for it? Of course if we had a bigger userbase we could have had Pentax firmware hacked by now to just put in the feature ourselves but I can't help but be a bit confused why it wouldn't be that way out of the box

Still though, looks like a great camera.
There are potential clients that I actively refuse to accept. I actually say, "No, I choose not to accept you as a client because . . ." Maybe they don't WANT 60p video users (or what a user with that preference model implies about other things).