Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #526

wow, it looks great, the price is a total shocker! I really thought it would be higher, and the specs are awesome! I can't preorder one. I have to pay off my new lens and then try to talk my husband into yet another purchase, lol. Yeah, maybe I'll get my hands on one in a couple of years.

02-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #527
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BarnowlAnnie Quote
wow, it looks great, the price is a total shocker! I really thought it would be higher, and the specs are awesome! I can't preorder one. I have to pay off my new lens and then try to talk my husband into yet another purchase, lol. Yeah, maybe I'll get my hands on one in a couple of years.
Think of it this way.. in another year the K-1 will have a super refined firmware, lots of guides and how-tos generated, lens details fleshed out, 3rd party software updated to accomodate it, and it will likely be a lot cheaper. win-win-win-win for you!
02-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #528
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The production lines are running, what else could it be?
Could be 1001 reasons - small K-1 feature update (addition/deletion) to the camera hardware or firmware; supply problems with a component maker (shutter/memory chips); desire to maintain 645Z output while ramping up K-1; bad weather caused some shipping delays somewhere; lightning strike on the Cebu factory damaged some important equipment; balancing inventory between Japan, China, Europe, USA ... Etc etc etc.
02-23-2016, 09:53 PM   #529
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Could be 1001 reasons - small K-1 feature update (addition/deletion) to the camera hardware or firmware; supply problems with a component maker (shutter/memory chips); desire to maintain 645Z output while ramping up K-1; bad weather caused some shipping delays somewhere; lightning strike on the Cebu factory damaged some important equipment; balancing inventory between Japan, China, Europe, USA ... Etc etc etc.
Yeah. It could be any of those things.

But it's not.

02-23-2016, 10:05 PM   #530
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But it's not.
I agree. This is the 645Z of the FF world. The K-1 is not merely a "bang for the buck" DSLR, but looks to set a standard for usability - this is evident by the carefully engineered articulating screen and the reading lights placed in key areas on the body. Biases aside, this camera, like the 645Z, should be a (relative) blockbuster for Pentax.
02-23-2016, 10:24 PM   #531

Photos: Gallery
I just pre-ordered mine, although the original plan was to skip FF altogether or buy at a much later date (that pricing.. damn you Ricoh! *shakes fist*). The local camera shop said that pre-orders were already 2/3 full. Of course I cannot know how big a batch they ordered, but certainly the demand seems to be up to the expectations of the stores.
02-23-2016, 10:32 PM   #532
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's soooooooo tempting. I've had the thread open three times.

Not. Using. Credit. Card.

August.

02-23-2016, 10:41 PM   #533
Pentaxian

There are lots of reasons, but the big one was A7II at the price point that it is sold at. Everyone had to stop and retarget their product line. I suspect, without knowing, that the target was $2400-2600 with a few more baubles, a bit faster, etc. It probably was ready to go to production. The K3II scared the living daylights out of everyone; a stupid mistake could cost the whole division it's existence. The 645Z was/is making money, selling everything they made, so it wasn't as if there would be idle hands. So rework production, hone the designs to shave costs, get all the ducks in a row. They aren't first to market in any case, so get things right.

Samsung. Something to tighten the sphincter of everyone in the industry. A decent product that if introduced by anyone else would have created a groundswell, but ended Samsung's foray into the market.

They have run the pre announcement flawlessly, they seem to be managing to get lots of people drooling to get their hands on the thing. There is news yet to come. So far the bits of information about the bodies in the field indicate that it is a very satisfying offering.

I suspect we will all wonder what we will spend our money on as opposed to deciding to spend it or not.

So far I'm impressed.
02-23-2016, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #534
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

My 'permission date' is August. I hope they're caught up.
I'm hoping to be forgiven about then.....
02-24-2016, 03:03 AM   #535
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New times at Dpreview

Name:  Skjermdump-2.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  60.5 KB

K-1 is the only DSLR on the list and are over 1,6x more popular then the only other FF system camera, the mighty A7RII with its 42 Mp BSI sensor and lower weight.

Name:  Skjermdump1.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  44.8 KB

Ignoring the I don’t care-users, 72,9% of the favorite feature votes are related to the SR system. I feel the envy is growing amongst other brand users.

Last edited by Simen1; 02-24-2016 at 07:51 AM.
02-24-2016, 05:32 AM   #536
Pentaxian

Bad weather?? Tell those shippers the K-1 is weather resistant! It won't be stopped by bad weather!
02-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #537

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Shelby or Greensboro? I was wondering where in Eastern NC those three would play..
Morehead City , Myrtle Beach & Durham
02-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #538
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Attachment 300013

K-1 is the only DSLR on the list and are over 1,6x more popular then the only other FF system camera, the mighty A7RII with its 42 Mp BSI sensor and lower weight.

Attachment 300012

Ignoring the I don’t care-users, 72,9% of the favorite feature votes are related to the SR system. I feel the envy is growing amongst other brand users.
Do those people realize that SR doesn't work during video? Over in a videography forum people also got excited about the K-1 and it having SR. They would LOVE to have a camera like the K-1 with a flippy screen and SR. Just that SR needs to work during video. Tiny tweak, big effect, Pentax!

One of the reasons for high frame rates is so that you can stabilize the video after the fact, in post. If it is stable to begin with... I mean what else do you need high frame rates for? Most video content is 24, 25 or 30 fps. 60 is useful for slow motion, but how often do you need that?

There's no reason to delay a camera because of the firmware. Just provide a firmware update soon after launch.

I do hope that with the K-1 Pentax will finally start changing the way they do firmware updates. It's something that can be used to improve cameras after they are launched, and that's what people expect these days. Computers with Windows 10 are improved over time, Windows is getting better and more polished. Same with Android and iOS, people crave updates that add functionality and generally improve their phones or tablets. Brands that don't provide them are less popular. Even some camera makers do it these days. Bug fixes are nice (though even on that side Pentax seems a bit lacking), but nowadays...
02-24-2016, 11:54 AM   #539
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
There's no reason to delay a camera because of the firmware. Just provide a firmware update soon after launch. I do hope that with the K-1 Pentax will finally start changing the way they do firmware updates.
Did I get that right? You do hope Pentax/Ricoh starts shipping cameras with unfinished, rough&ready or buggy firmware?
02-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #540
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
One of the reasons for high frame rates is so that you can stabilize the video after the fact, in post. If it is stable to begin with... I mean what else do you need high frame rates for? Most video content is 24, 25 or 30 fps. 60 is useful for slow motion, but how often do you need that?
The SD to DVD resolution took a few years. So did the DVD res to HD res take. The same with HD to full HD and now from full HD to 4K. But fps have been standing still at 24 since a century ago. I think its time to increase the flickering slide shows Charlie Chaplins best days to 60 fps for now. 60 fps would be a huge lift from the flickering but even that is not completely flickering free. Later it should be increased to 100-120, but from there its not much visible difference. If you want to do just 1/2 speed slow motion maybe 60 fps recording and 30 fps viewing is enough, if the scene is quite slow to begun with.

Anyway, I don't think K-1's imaging sensor have fast enough readout for 1080 60p. Good video should have full readout of all the pixels for every frame, then dowscale it to the wanted resolution. Samsung NX1 and Sony A7RII have that so its possible with the current technology. Pentax just didn't opt for that. Full readout is also useful to get around SR challanges. It can digitally crop to a moving crop window, a digital kind of SR, before the crop is scaled down.