Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 05:38 PM - 3 Likes   #1291
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Well, its a bit of surprise to anyone involved with Pentax. But I'm safe anyhow. I have contract with other parties. But Ricoh/Pentax won't get much pics or help from me now. Their loss. I have work with Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden + + + in the time to come..hehe
Do you know what I think Kenspo? Ever since the hay days of the Pentax 67 and their subsequent decline, they have had this self loathing non worthy self esteem issue, thus their incapacity to see when they are looking at a gift horse in the mouth...But hey, that is one of the reasons we parted our ways as well. It's not that they don't want to succeed, they just lost their way and never really knew how to find their way back. Not that I didn't try of course. Hell, I even put together a whole Marketing Plan for them that may have laid down the groundwork for a totally different public perception of their product. So Kenspo, I suggest you get on with your life and career and just take care of what really matters, the image, the gig and the notoriety associated with success. What it comes down to really is, does the instrument work the way it should and does it give you the tools to make it happen.

Have a nice weekend...

Zorro

04-29-2016, 05:42 PM   #1292
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What "situation"?

He still gets equipment worth in excess of US$ 8000 to use for free and states nothing changes for him except that he won't be sending pictures to Ricoh directly anymore (but apparently to the distributor).

Ricoh apparently just decided that they don't need a double relationship with him, given that he is taken care of by the Ricoh distributor.

I fail to see the failure on Ricoh's behalf and also would have expected anyone in a professional relationship with Ricoh to not make a public deal about not getting an additional role that they for some reason expected to be offered.
Thats not the problem, rather than Ricoh doenst want to maintain the ambassador program directly, have some people who can put images on the media who may atract new buyers and gave the pros one more sistem to look when they need equipment. At the end still is marketing, for both ambassador and company.

04-29-2016, 05:58 PM - 2 Likes   #1293
mee
Veteran Member

Who gives a flying flounder about the ambassadors program... on with the K-1 photos and news.
04-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #1294
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Who gives a flying flounder about the ambassadors program... on with the K-1 photos and news.
Ricoh should, but aparently is not a priority

04-29-2016, 06:18 PM - 2 Likes   #1295
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here we go again. They're not CaniSoNikon, don't want to be, and they don't want to price their cameras where they would need to if they wanted to be. We (and so many peripheral photo industry people) aren't receiving the cues to which we are accustomed, so we think something is wrong. I'd have to guess benjkan delivered a polished, professional and carefully thought-out plan -- but it just isn't the way Ricoh wants to market. I'm sure Tony Northrup can make a good case for his website's reach . . .

They're not benighted old Japanese men in a small room of a nondescript office building. They just want to be the alternative, full-line camera company, which apparently includes an alternative form of marketing. We continue to evaluate them against two or three companies that are completely unlike Ricoh Imaging.

Compared to history, they've actually done a significant amount of 'quiet' marketing of K-1 (for instance, IIRC Adobe has responded with lens and camera profiles already published - no doubt Ricoh paid for that) and how different some of the historically negative review websites have been. When has Pentax ever had something like the K-1 Special Site, in good English, with what appears to be open technical information sharing? When has Pentax ever been open?

I think they'll sell every one of these cameras they can make without traditional marketing.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-29-2016 at 07:40 PM.
04-29-2016, 07:30 PM   #1296
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

I think they'll sell every one of these cameras they can make without traditional marketing.
Yep.
04-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #1297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here we go again. They're not CaniSoNikon, don't want to be, and they don't want to price their cameras where they would need to if they wanted to be. We (and so many peripheral photo industry people) aren't receiving the cues to which we are accustomed, so we think something is wrong.

Well-said, monochrome. Time to chill and enjoy our new toy.

04-29-2016, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #1298
Pentaxian

... because, after all, for some of us, up to 15 years of uncertain waiting, it's billiantly THERE !
04-30-2016, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #1299
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Do you know what I think Kenspo? Ever since the hay days of the Pentax 67 and their subsequent decline, they have had this self loathing non worthy self esteem issue, thus their incapacity to see when they are looking at a gift horse in the mouth...But hey, that is one of the reasons we parted our ways as well. It's not that they don't want to succeed, they just lost their way and never really knew how to find their way back. Not that I didn't try of course. Hell, I even put together a whole Marketing Plan for them that may have laid down the groundwork for a totally different public perception of their product. So Kenspo, I suggest you get on with your life and career and just take care of what really matters, the image, the gig and the notoriety associated with success. What it comes down to really is, does the instrument work the way it should and does it give you the tools to make it happen.

Have a nice weekend...

Zorro
Its no secret that I'm signed from another brand. I always liked Pentax, because the are and feels different then most others! Has the ride been without problems? Not at all! But who doesn't like a challenge I think they'll come around with time. Yes, i will go on and will not notice big difference, since i will continue as hired gun for the distributor in the Nordic and Baltic countries. I just want Pentax to succeed. I still get all the tools i want and need, and will continue being the pro face amongst all the CaNikon pros in my line of work

Let us all just shoot and be happy

Have a nice weekend you too mate!
04-30-2016, 01:06 AM   #1300
Veteran Member

Its no secret that I'm signed from another brand.
You can actually signed for another brand than Pentax too?

Maybe that why they didn't want you as ambassador?
04-30-2016, 01:11 AM   #1301
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
You can actually signed for another brand than Pentax too?

Maybe that why they didn't want you as ambassador?
I think you misunderstood me there I was shooting Nikon when they contacted me and signed me to Pentax. I dont ride two horses at the same time Maybe its my grammar, or english in general, but it you read it wrong mate
04-30-2016, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #1302
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Ever since the hay days of the Pentax 67 and their subsequent decline, they have had this self loathing non worthy self esteem issue, thus their incapacity to see when they are looking at a gift horse in the mouth...But hey, that is one of the reasons we parted our ways as well. It's not that they don't want to succeed, they just lost their way and never really knew how to find their way back. Not that I didn't try of course. Hell, I even put together a whole Marketing Plan for them that may have laid down the groundwork for a totally different public perception of their product.
You seem to be concerned about brand image, certainly because of your own business marketing approach in the luxury/fashion arena, with your own personal sensitivity and touch, which is well understandable. And that's certainly why you seemed comfortable to put together a whole marketing plan for Pentax/Ricoh (seeing yourself as talented in marketing). Now, you also seem to have selected Nikon for doing your job as a photographer. Unfortunately, from the brand image standpoint, everything falls apart here, because Nikon and Canon are mass production giants that design, manufacture and commercialize camera products for the average photographer. It's like if you are saying that Moto Guzzi does not have a strong brand image and then you buy a Honda instead of a Harley. Benjamin, if you are an artist and luxury pro cameras are your thing, you should partner with one the leaders in medium format such as Phase One, not with Canon or Nikon, it's a shame for such a talented Parisian photographer.
04-30-2016, 01:48 AM   #1303
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You seem to be concerned about brand image, certainly because of your own business marketing approach in the luxury/fashion arena, with your own personal sensitivity and touch, which is well understandable. And that's certainly why you seemed comfortable to put together a whole marketing plan for Pentax/Ricoh (seeing yourself as talented in marketing). Now, you also seem to have selected Nikon for doing your job as a photographer. Unfortunately, from the brand image standpoint, everything falls apart here, because Nikon and Canon are mass production giants that design, manufacture and commercialize camera products for the average photographer. It's like if you are saying that Moto Guzzi does not have a strong brand image and then you buy a Honda instead of a Harley. Benjamin, if you are an artist and luxury pro cameras are your thing, you should partner with one the leaders in medium format such as Phase One, not with Canon or Nikon, it's a shame for such a talented Parisian photographer.
Quite right... but on the other hand, we all know the difference mostly come from the photographer, not the gear. If benjikan is as talented as he appear to be, he would make outstanding pictures with a m4/3, no issue and basically while he might prefer high end gear because anyway he get it from free, there no reason to think the honda would not perform as well (or better at time) than a harley.

It is a bit like buying the same brand of sport clothes as your prefered atletes... If you have a brain you should get that anyway they do it for the money, and even if some may actually prefer the brand they selected, you can't really count on that.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-30-2016 at 02:06 AM.
04-30-2016, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #1304
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just want Pentax to succeed.
+1 to that - as has been said (mostly by Monochrome), we shouldn't confuse our anxieties about that with Ricoh's competence or otherwise - they've produced a stunning camera by all accounts - actually a string of them, but this is special - and it's time to celebrate and be part of that success
04-30-2016, 02:41 AM   #1305
Veteran Member

I think you misunderstood me there I was shooting Nikon when they contacted me and signed me to Pentax. I dont ride two horses at the same time Maybe its my grammar, or english in general, but it you read it wrong mate
ok, make more sense to me