Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #1486
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Eventually, I think image quality (low light noise etc.) can't be improved much anymore beyond what a full frame camera delivers today.
What about full colour information for each sensel location without (a) requiring a tripod and (b) wasting a lot of light in colour filters?

Are micro-beamsplitters, for instance, not realisable?

Last edited by Class A; 05-18-2016 at 07:16 AM.
05-17-2016, 07:40 PM - 2 Likes   #1487
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think at 100 pages, and the original post now having historical significance only, I propose that the moderators close the thread.
05-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #1488
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
...my smartphone can make calls, runs my navigation, goes on Internet, makes images and video, runs Spotify and many many more things.
The phone part of its capability is a minor part, these days. The so-called "smart phone" is really a true Personal Digital Assistant - another case of our own language limiting our thinking.

However, the ergonomics of a smart phone are not really conducive to other than snapshot-taking, even though they can be put to use making good pictures, too, and because convenience trumps performance standards just about anytime. On the other hand, when you use a well-designed dedicated camera, it's a bit like using a performance motorcar in that you feel like you want to use it to get the best out of it, because the picture-making (or driving) experience is so good, and the end-point is another matter entirely, even if it's the main objective of the exercise. Should the ergonomics of the smart phone improve to the point where the experience is that good, then it will have become a camera with benefits.
05-18-2016, 05:37 AM   #1489
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Have you used a K-1 yet? I'm wondering how you would rate a strong Pentax entry compared to something like the A7Rii {since this thread is said to be about the K-1}
I only used a K-1 at an event. It certainly felt well and I personally love the Pentax build quality and user experience. I'd say it outperforms an A7rII in terms of responsiveness, so IMHO, it is a more professional tool overall. But having said this, it is no speed monster too.

---------- Post added 18th May 2016 at 13:42 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What about ... without wasting a lot of light in colour filters?
Ok, getting rid of color filtration is the one last big step remaining. I agree.

I've just no idea which timeframe to expect when it would happen.

05-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #1490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-1

Has anyone received the K-1? Can you post photos please???
05-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #1491
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Has anyone received the K-1? Can you post photos please???
It's a unicorn. It doesn't actually exist.
05-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #1492
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flickr

I saw several really nice shots on Flicker. I wonder if anyone from this forum would have done it.

05-18-2016, 05:32 PM   #1493
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/314413-post-your-k-1-pictures.html for k1 pictures.
05-19-2016, 05:46 AM   #1494
Pentaxian

I saw several really nice shots on Flicker. I wonder if anyone from this forum would have done it.
There's a whole new forum section for the K-1: Pentax K-1 - PentaxForums.com

Pictures with the K-1, pictures OF the K-1, questions, answers, arguments about the extending screen, etc. etc. etc.

And relatively few complaints, especially for PF!
05-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #1495
Pentaxian

Anybody seen this one yet?

05-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #1496
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eureka!

I found it, and saw several photos. I should have not done that!! Now, I have to buy the K-1. I was trying to hold, but I cannot hold anymore. Those shots are spectacular (even with the old SMC K lenses and Taks.)
05-20-2016, 11:52 PM   #1497
Veteran Member

I found it, and saw several photos. I should have not done that!! Now, I have to buy the K-1. I was trying to hold, but I cannot hold anymore. Those shots are spectacular (even with the old SMC K lenses and Taks.)
Yes there should be a "wallet warning" preamble to that thread!
05-21-2016, 03:10 AM   #1498
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The phone part of its capability is a minor part, these days. The so-called "smart phone" is really a true Personal Digital Assistant - another case of our own language limiting our thinking.

However, the ergonomics of a smart phone are not really conducive to other than snapshot-taking, even though they can be put to use making good pictures, too, and because convenience trumps performance standards just about anytime. On the other hand, when you use a well-designed dedicated camera, it's a bit like using a performance motorcar in that you feel like you want to use it to get the best out of it, because the picture-making (or driving) experience is so good, and the end-point is another matter entirely, even if it's the main objective of the exercise. Should the ergonomics of the smart phone improve to the point where the experience is that good, then it will have become a camera with benefits.
It is called smartphone and not a PDA because the key feature of the device, like it or not is the chip that allow the device to be connected, to take phone call, send an receive text... If you let people choose between having only the PDA capabilities (display agenda, take notes and so on) or have only communication capabilities (phone call, text, mails, chat) or only picture/video capabilities most people would focus on the communication part.

As for picture quality snapshots and alike if I search for top photo taken with 5Dmark-III or an iphone 6 the thing is, they all look great. Maybe the 5D-III picture look to have more subtle rendering but that about it.

Overall there likely more great pictures taken with smartphones than with DSLR. First a DSLR doesn't make you good, second they so fewer users that you can't really compete.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 05-21-2016 at 03:23 AM.
05-21-2016, 03:58 AM   #1499
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
It is called smartphone and not a PDA because the key feature of the device, like it or not is the chip that allow the device to be connected, to take phone call, send an receive text... If you let people choose between having only the PDA capabilities (display agenda, take notes and so on) or have only communication capabilities (phone call, text, mails, chat) or only picture/video capabilities most people would focus on the communication part.

As for picture quality snapshots and alike if I search for top photo taken with 5Dmark-III or an iphone 6 the thing is, they all look great. Maybe the 5D-III picture look to have more subtle rendering but that about it.

Overall there likely more great pictures taken with smartphones than with DSLR. First a DSLR doesn't make you good, second they so fewer users that you can't really compete.
It's a matter of definition. PDAs used not to have telephone functions, then phones had PDA functions, and now internet connectivity has meant the strict telephone functions (ie making voice calls to someone on another phone) are being overtaken by other means of communication, including video, text messaging (no longer just off the back of the voice carrier) and email etc. There is no reason not to include telephony as part of the Digital Assistant's range of functions. The same goes for picture-taking capabilities. The smart phone is actually just an augmented PDA.
05-22-2016, 01:25 AM   #1500
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It's a matter of definition. PDAs used not to have telephone functions, then phones had PDA functions, and now internet connectivity has meant the strict telephone functions (ie making voice calls to someone on another phone) are being overtaken by other means of communication, including video, text messaging (no longer just off the back of the voice carrier) and email etc. There is no reason not to include telephony as part of the Digital Assistant's range of functions. The same goes for picture-taking capabilities. The smart phone is actually just an augmented PDA.
You can see it like that, but most people buy it rather for communication capabilities (phone, text, facebook chat) rather than PDA capabilities (agenda, note taking). We could say a phone is part of a PDA, but because most people are interrested into a phone and not into a PDA, this doesn't really work this way.

Sure that "phone" doesn't really match text/facebook chat but it fufill a need: you can still communicate.

I agree in the end that PDA is a much better definition but when you think that PDA as devices disapeared almost completely whil the smartphones took over, this is misleading. If you ask somebody about their PDA they will not understand you speak of their phone.