Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 570 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #1501
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
If you ask somebody about their PDA they will not understand you speak of their phone.
But the 'PDA' element is very much making a comeback.

When you look at the work going into AI stuff like Siri, Cortana, 'OK Google' etc in smartphones, and the use of big data web services to drive them, it all starts to look like the industry is returning to the 'personal digital assistant' concept again. PDA v2.

05-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #1502
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But the 'PDA' element is very much making a comeback.

When you look at the work going into AI stuff like Siri, Cortana, 'OK Google' etc in smartphones, and the use of big data web services to drive them, it all starts to look like the industry is returning to the 'personal digital assistant' concept again. PDA v2.
Time to dig out a couple of my "old" PocketPCs and get them on eBay!!!!
05-23-2016, 05:44 AM   #1503
Veteran Member

How likely is it that Pentax will release a bundle of the K-1 & 24-70 or K1 & 28-105 anytime soon? Maybe together they both would be a few hundred off?
05-23-2016, 05:48 AM   #1504
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
How likely is it that Pentax will release a bundle of the K-1 & 24-70 or K1 & 28-105 anytime soon? Maybe together they both would be a few hundred off?
Given the demand for the K-1 and those lenses individually, I don't think Ricoh will see the need to offer bundles for quite a while yet. My guess would be in time for Christmas, if at all, but I can't see it happening earlier...

05-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #1505
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Given the demand for the K-1 and those lenses individually, I don't think Ricoh will see the need to offer bundles for quite a while yet. My guess would be in time for Christmas, if at all, but I can't see it happening earlier...
...and it could well differ from one country to another. In France we had bundles with K20D and DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 and even bundles with K20D plus DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 plus DA* 50-135mm f/2.8. From the K-7 onwards, we've never seen such bundles again. I don't know whether other countries were offered the same bundles or different ones.

One should also take into account the shortage in sensors caused by the earthquake in Japan and the subsequent stop of production at the Sony factory. Most Nikon and Sony rebates, ongoing or planned, were terminated or cancelled in the wake of this shortage.
05-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #1506
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
In France we had bundles with K20D and DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 .
And I know at least one customer who bought this as it's first DSLR
05-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #1507
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
And I know at least one customer who bought this as its first DSLR
He could have chosen a worse combo .

And K10D (+18-55mm) + 16-50mm f/2.8 + 50-135mm f/2.8 was my first DSLR equipment too...

(after a few SLRs, I agree...)

05-23-2016, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #1508
Veteran Member

Do we really need K1 resolution? For the fun you can actually take the time to respond to this poll to find out what max size the community is actually printing !

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/3...ting-size.html
05-23-2016, 11:56 PM - 2 Likes   #1509
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Do we really need K1 resolution? For the fun you can actually take the time to respond to this poll to find out what max size the community is actually printing !
It's not just about printing big. The surfeit of megapixels allows a fair degree of cropping when one can't get close enough to a subject, or one can get another photo from the original - two for the price of one. It's fun finding pictures within pictures. Here's an example (I have better ones, but I'm darned if I can find them right now). I apologise that it as taken with another brand of camera (which I bought when Pentax did not have a FF, 36 Mpx body), but it illustrates my point. At least, my granddaughter has the sense to own a Pentax!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D810  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D810  Photo 
05-24-2016, 12:49 AM   #1510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
It's not just about printing big. The surfeit of megapixels allows a fair degree of cropping when one can't get close enough to a subject, or one can get another photo from the original - two for the price of one. It's fun finding pictures within pictures. Here's an example (I have better ones, but I'm darned if I can find them right now). I apologise that it as taken with another brand of camera (which I bought when Pentax did not have a FF, 36 Mpx body), but it illustrates my point. At least, my granddaughter has the sense to own a Pentax!
What a nice image! - I just have to laugh with her.
05-24-2016, 02:00 AM   #1511
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
What a nice image! - I just have to laugh with her.
Thank you acoufap. One would have to be a very miserable soul not to smile at that photo!
05-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #1512
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that is very true. I noticed that going from 6mp to 14mp to 24mp. The added versatility in this respect really allows you to considered what you've shot after you've actually shot it.
05-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #1513
Pentaxian

It's not just about printing big. The surfeit of megapixels allows a fair degree of cropping when one can't get close enough to a subject ...
We especially see that process when taking pictures of wildlife. I have trouble composing pictures with a long prime, so many years ago I learned to use a long zoom, centering in on the subject with a wider view and then zooming in for the actual picture. Many of those who advocate for the 36MP, or even 50MP, cameras basically skip that last step, especially when trying to follow a Bird In Flight.
05-24-2016, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #1514
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What is this word, 'need'?
05-24-2016, 03:37 PM   #1515
Veteran Member

Quite true, and for me I discovered that with K3, the lens rather than the camera being a limitation. If I do that with FA77 (f/2.5+) or DA35ltd, 50-135 or a FA50 (f/4+) then I can do significant crop and still get good enough picture for significant print size. If I do the same with DA15 or DA21 or 55-300, that's more tricky.