Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #1

Why would Pentax come up with a pro Level FF?

We have all heard about the upcoming FF sensor for Samsung and we all assumed that it would be placed into a Pro body.

But I was thinking, why would Pentax do that? Obviously, the amount of recent pro lenses available on the market for Pentax is not good enough to compete with Canon and Nikon.

So I was thinking, wouldn't it be more logical, and more appropriate to the Pentax ideology to come up with a prosumer FF body? It would compete with the D700 and the 5D. If they can price it under the $2500 mark body only, then they can compete with the big boys and do the same thing they did with the K10D: bringing a camera just as good as the competition but with a much more competitive price and the ability to use all the old lenses!

Also, they would then have two or three years to pull out some professional grade FF lenses for the future pro body!

Last edited by deudeu; 07-04-2008 at 06:30 PM.
07-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Even then though, where is the manufacturing coming rom for F lenses? I just don't see it.
07-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
So I was thinking, wouldn't it be more logical, and more appropriate to the Pentax ideology to come up with a prosumer FF body? It would compete with the D700 and the 5D. If they can price it under the $2500 mark body only, then they can compete with the big boys and do the same thing they did with the K10D: bringing a camera just as good as the competition but with a much more competitive price and the ability to use all the old lenses!
I think that is a great idea. Better yet. Give us a FF body for less than $2,000 with between 12-18mp. That would be great!
07-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't care what any company comes up with. Electronic's are just not going to sell good anywhere in the near future. With the price of Gas, Food & so many people loosing there homes, you are going to see a huge increase in electronic's for sale on Ebay and everywhere else.
If I was Pentax I would work on there lenses and maybe next year come out with a new camera that everyone could afford and use.

07-05-2008, 03:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

struggling to get the entry level market, and you are not keeping the top level, thats not good business. IMO in the short term they need address one or the other or both, whether it is pro apsc or a ff, will provide a 3rd tier and would provide a lot of benefit, in recognition, shelf space, keeping people etc etc.

USA is a big market, but only 1 market, rest of world isn't in recession, still plenty of people elsewhere still buying.
07-05-2008, 03:06 AM   #6

Simple, they would want me to stay loyal after some 40 years and not me to go esewhere for future purchases!!!! Full format will be the NEXT camera I buy.

cheers,
07-05-2008, 03:20 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I don't care what any company comes up with. Electronic's are just not going to sell good anywhere in the near future. With the price of Gas, Food & so many people loosing there homes, you are going to see a huge increase in electronic's for sale on Ebay and everywhere else.
If I was Pentax I would work on there lenses and maybe next year come out with a new camera that everyone could afford and use.
Recessions tend to affect lower end sales, top end product sales keep surprisingly buoyant. It wouldn't surprise me to see that pro model coming sooner than say a bridge model.

07-05-2008, 03:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax will release FF when they see there is enough consumer demand, and when they have the technology to meet this demand. It has nothing to do with whether a FF is "needed" in the sense of "would make better photographers out of us."

The best thing about FF is the better viewfinder image.
07-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The FF issue is a bit of a catch 22 situation for Pentax. Seems you have to have FF to be a serious player, but Pentax dosn't appear to have the production capacity to run with two lines, even if they could (and I am sure they could) come up with a competitive FF camera targeted to the enthusiast market, they would be hard pressed to offer full lines of both D-FA* and DA* lenses. And I say D-FA* because I don't see FF without top of the line lenses.

I would like to see them introduce a top end body, something like the Nikon's D700 but sticking with the current sensor size. Anyway, I am hanging tough and not buying any more equipment till I can see where this issue is going.

Mike.
07-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

my business would probably buy a couple of FF pentax digital slr's. fast...

i should raise prices now 8)
07-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have all heard about the upcoming FF sensor for Samsung and we all assumed that it would be placed into a Pro body.

But I was thinking, why would Pentax do that? Obviously, the amount of recent pro lenses available on the market for Pentax is not good enough to compete with Canon and Nikon. !

The lens issue is way out of proportions. How many lenses do the average person buy (or average pro for that matter): answer 2-3.

I don't know what you mean by a pro body. My guess is that a Pentax FF is about $3000.
Pentax would do that because they historically have been into the high resolution market. They will also be into it because it make the Pentax system something to aspire to. In addition, I believe Samsung would want to show that they can make FF sensors and that Pentax will work as a vehicle for that.
And last but not least, this is where sensors can go at this stage. They have crammed about as many mp's they can into an APS sensor. The next step is to make the sensor itself larger because it can be done within the lens mount size used by Pentax, Canon, and Nikon.
07-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Why bother? The K20D sensor is absolutely fantastic. I say build a better body around that sensor. The high iso, and resolution are already better then some FF sensors from the other guys. Now just add some better AF, FPS, and they could use that sensor for a few more years in thier new cameras.
07-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #13

Original Poster
Yes, but when Samsung comes up with a FF sensor, wouldn't it be silly not to use it.
Also, about building a new camera around the current sensor, do you really think that a couple of improvements like AF and FPS justifies a new line of bodies. I think that if this is the only thing you are concerned about, then you will be happy with the k30D.
I am thinking about something like a FF 16 or 18 MP with usable image up to 12800 ISO, improved AF, and a 100% pentaprism for less than $2500 body only, and a kit with a reborn FA* 28-70 weather sealed with SDM for less than $2800.
If within a year or two of its release it lowers to less that $2000 body only, it would be almost impossible to resist!
07-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, about building a new camera around the current sensor, do you really think that a couple of improvements like AF and FPS justifies a new line of bodies.

No. It would just cannibalize sales. Ie dividing the sales between two bodies.
07-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

for less than $2500 body only
You had me until this line. Plan on about $4,000 for the features you listed.