Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 01:41 PM   #61

Photos: Albums
I know it's not the best place to ask but i appreciate the crowd gathered at this topic and it is in the rumors section after all Is it plausible to expect in the immediate-nearer future any new larger aperture (1.8 - 2.0) lens releases with WR, HD and design for the higher resolution sensors in the ~ 20-50 mm area for APS-C only? (i'm thinking of size and weight). Primes, zooms, unusual zooms (by unusual i'm thinking 20-40 ltd like)
With the 20-40 ltd still new and the old primes recently updated with HD coating i guess not, right? Especially now with the focus on the new FF chapter.

(underscored keywords are for the people that would be inclined to say there is enough choice in that area).

I'm trying to make a "blind" choice, leaning towards the 20-40 ltd right now but.. i just don't know what to think about that lens with the weird halo around it (low praise in synthetic tests - highly praised by some users) and i can't test it myself prior to purchasing unfortunately. But enough of this, don't mean to hijack the thread.

To keep it simple: you think there will be anything new on the near horizon, APS-C only, small/lightweight lens design we came to expect from Pentax (Ricoh)?

02-18-2016, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Penumbra Quote
Is it plausible to expect in the immediate-nearer future any new larger aperture (1.8 - 2.0) lens releases with WR, HD and design for the higher resolution sensors in the ~ 20-50 mm area for APS-C only? (i'm thinking of size and weight). Primes, zooms, unusual zooms (by unusual i'm thinking 20-40 ltd like)
They will be focusing on FF primes to extend the line-up and attract more people to the system, and considering any FF lens can be used on APS-C too, I wouldn't count on any new APS-C primes soon, let alone specifically to your specifications ...
02-18-2016, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
Though not an expert, I believe that the two cylindrical objects in this photo are possibly lenses, what are your thoughts?
One looks like the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 that has been blacked out.
02-18-2016, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Penumbra Quote
To keep it simple: you think there will be anything new on the near horizon, APS-C only, small/lightweight lens design we came to expect from Pentax (Ricoh)?
There is 1 APS-C lens on the current roadmap. The only one that hasn't been introduced yet. We'll see at CP+ what the future holds...

02-18-2016, 07:06 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Probably those 2 primes from tamron
02-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
My gut feelings tell me it's not quite that easy. Putting in any sort of odd new element that wasn't there before would require recalibration of the entire optical pathway,
Correct, Adding glass types with different dispersion properties does call for a re-calculation of the entire design - and sometimes reducing one aberration can unexpectedly give rise to another, or enhance the negative effects of another optical issue, lens design is anything but straightforward.
02-19-2016, 12:45 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gorme Quote
According to PhotoRumors, Tamron will release a 85mm f/1.8 in CaSoNikon mounts, but no Pentax (Tamron to announce a new SP 85mm f/1.8 Di VC USD lens | Photo Rumors). So maybe they will release a 'Pentax' 85mm f/1.8 out of this lens. Asahiman said that a medium telephoto was on the way, It can be it.
Kensop said we could expect new primes with the K-1 announcement. Apparently the primes didn't come the same day, so maybe Tamron is controlling the date (22.02.2016) since they are much the same as Tamron versions for other brands.
02-19-2016, 03:11 AM   #68
Pentaxian

I would have thought most if not all the future lenses will be FF apart from the DA WA Zoom in the roadmap.
As in the current range, most if not all the primes above 35mm are pretty much FF coverage, so going forward I would not expect any APS-C prime lenses above 35mm.
Maybe a compact 28mm prime in the future, or a T/S WA lens but I would expect that to be FF too (similar to the Samyang 24mm T/S).

I think it would be advantagous for Ricoh/Pentax to go after the compact/lightweight market for FF Primes, rather than competing directly with the new series of Sigma Art primes.

Possibly the very lightweight/compact 28-105mm kit lens hints at this.....?

02-19-2016, 04:53 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
I think it would be advantagous for Ricoh/Pentax to go after the compact/lightweight market for FF Primes
The FA series is an indication of how small a full-frame autofocus prime can be. Glass is growing these days - it seems if you can't put at least a 62mm filter on it, it's not worth building - and the DA Limiteds are a refreshing alternative to that philosophy, but more of the small-is-beautiful philosophy would be nice. If Pentax can build a 50mm f/1.4 autofocus lens with a 49mm filter thread, why can't everyone else?
02-19-2016, 05:01 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Because everyone else likes to put focusing motors in their lenses, making them fatter.
02-19-2016, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax are committing the same sin, and it's a relief to see that the HD editions of the Limiteds stayed with screwdrive. I can understand them doing it with zooms, to some extent - there's a lot more glass to move around, and a bigger, better, and more importantly lens-optimised motor helps - but a prime (especially normal-or-shorter) shouldn't need it unless it's absolutely ginormously huge.

Some people want the FA Limiteds uprated with DC, but no - that would ruin the point. I've said it before and I'll say it again, by all means build a D-FA lens with DC, WR, HD, Quick Shift and all the trappings, but the moment you put the motor in the lens, it's not really a Limited any more. It's probably going to be a damn good D-FA lens, worth buying on its own merits, but not a Limited.
02-19-2016, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Pentax are committing the same sin, and it's a relief to see that the HD editions of the Limiteds stayed with screwdrive. I can understand them doing it with zooms, to some extent - there's a lot more glass to move around, and a bigger, better, and more importantly lens-optimised motor helps - but a prime (especially normal-or-shorter) shouldn't need it unless it's absolutely ginormously huge.

Some people want the FA Limiteds uprated with DC, but no - that would ruin the point. I've said it before and I'll say it again, by all means build a D-FA lens with DC, WR, HD, Quick Shift and all the trappings, but the moment you put the motor in the lens, it's not really a Limited any more. It's probably going to be a damn good D-FA lens, worth buying on its own merits, but not a Limited.

One thing people almost constantly complain about is focus accuracy and speed, and that's the inherent problem with screw drive. It can either be fast, or it can be accurate, but it can't be both. All geared systems have backlash. which is the "slack" between where the gear faces meet each other. And that little Pentax-shimmy at the end of the focus travel is undoubtedly there to average out the error, but it feels like hesitation. Sonic motors don't do that, and just putting beefer and beefer motors in the body doesn't really address that perception.
02-19-2016, 06:54 AM   #73
Pentaxian

And yet, there's a limited DC, it is called DA Limited 20-40
02-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Certainly primes. My guess - 85/1.4 and 28/2.0
I think its this. Especially because Ricoh sent out some questionnaires about 28mm primes some months ago, and this gap has existed for a long time in the lineup.
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I assume they will be in the same series as the SP 35/1,8 VC and 45/1,8 VC
OR it could also be this. The sizes seem to be close (much bigger than FA limiteds and most classic Pentax primes). I wouldn't be super happy about Pentax rebadges of Tamron primes, but its still better than nothing. And these Tamron primes appear to be.. interesting.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 02-19-2016 at 12:57 PM.
02-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
And yet, there's a limited DC, it is called DA Limited 20-40
Yes, but that's a zoom - and it was also a clean sheet of paper design rather than what some of us are asking for, which is a redesign of an existing lens.