Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 02:09 AM   #91
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Will there ever be a pentax tilt-shift lens?
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Is there a WA T/S lens planned at some point?
Samyang has a pretty good alternative for the time being:

Samyang 24mm F3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt/Shift Lens Reviews - Samyang Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-23-2016, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #92
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
it would be awesome if you could wander by the Tamron booth and ask if they will release some of their designs in Pentax mount.
We will

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-23-2016, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #93
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Noisier than the D810? I don't like that. I hoped it will be quiet - perhaps a notch above the K-3.
It's a much larger mirror that has to be moved, after all. The D810 has a much quieter shutter than the D800 series. I'd say the K-1 is already pretty quiet for an FF.

This video shows off its shutter sound:
Hands-On with the Pentax K-1 - Hands-on Reviews | PentaxForums.com

Adam

02-23-2016, 02:53 AM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We will
Hopefully, you'll also find to time to wander by the Sigma booth and ask them whether the K-1 is likely to change which of their Global Vision lenses they are going to release in K-mount.

02-23-2016, 03:02 AM   #95
Pentaxian

Keep posting here, I'm compiling all suggestions posted into a document that we'll pass along at the interview.
It would be great if you could pass on the question to Ricoh whether they are going to change their New Zealand distributor.

The summary about this useless distributor who basically ensures that Pentax will never have a future in New Zeland still applies. The last update to their website is from September 2015 (almost five months ago), i.e., they haven't announced the K-1 yet.

New Zealand is admittedly a small market but ideal for the rugged Pentax cameras, and it would actually be better to have no distributor so that New Zealanders could just buy from CRK in Australia. Right now, that's not possible without getting a "grey market" item, due to the existence of an official "distributor".

Ricoh have a big subsidiary in the New Zealand capital for their printing equipment. If only they could use the same distribution channels for their cameras. I bet that could get them back into the big stores and would do a world of good for their sales.

Last edited by Class A; 02-23-2016 at 08:56 AM.
02-23-2016, 03:19 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hope that Ricoh will have worldwide "standardized" discount, meaning if the prices at B&H/Adorama is being reduced (even temporarily), the prices in other markets (Europe, Asia) should follow suit.

I'm from the Philippines (where Pentax is being made) but I have to resort to importation from B&H because the prices in this part of the world is still seemingly the "Sticker Price" (meaning, the prices when the camera/lens was introduced). As an example, the DA*60-250 is being retailed here at US$1,800 by Pentax' official distributor. So, I'll take risks on importing it as gray unit.

This global pricing problem should be resolved if Pentax wants to gain ground vs Canikon.
02-23-2016, 03:23 AM - 2 Likes   #97
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Hopefully, you'll also find to time to wander by the Sigma booth and ask them whether the K-1 is likely to change which of their Global Vision lenses they are going to release in K-mount.
I would love to see the 24-105mm being released in the K-mount. Thankfully, we already have the 35mm F1.4. More fast primes would of course be very welcome.

The points in posts 95 & 96 have been noted.

Adam

02-23-2016, 03:28 AM   #98
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I will be monitoring replies made to this thread within the next 24 hours. Thereafter, a final list of suggestions and off-camera questions will be complied.

The interview questions have been finalized at this time.

Adam

02-23-2016, 03:37 AM   #99
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
A small question about thei Israeli distributor.

I would like you to ask Ricoh what are their plans regarding their currnet Israeli (non) distributor - Karat. An up to date response from them informed me that they have no plans to import Pentax cameras anymore.

Is Ricoh aware of this and do they have any plans to try and find another dustributor here ?

Thank you.
Ben
02-23-2016, 03:53 AM   #100

Photos: Gallery
I am in with two questions, one of which is already mentioned several times:
*) Third party lenses? We'd like the Sigma Art and Zeiss lenses!
*) The DFA 15-30 is a heavy beast, any plans for a small-sized, similar to the DA-15 Ltd in Full-Frame? Slow aperture, stunning image quality, WR and 19-21mm? Think of the hikers - the K-1 is heavy enough! I want a modern replacement of the M20/4
02-23-2016, 04:05 AM   #101
Pentaxian

It's a much larger mirror that has to be moved, after all. The D810 has a much quieter shutter than the D800 series. I'd say the K-1 is already pretty quiet for an FF.

This video shows off its shutter sound:
Hands-On with the Pentax K-1 - Hands-on Reviews | PentaxForums.com
Thank you. Do you think the K-1 is quieter than a D800?
02-23-2016, 04:51 AM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
I am in with two questions, one of which is already mentioned several times:
*) Third party lenses? We'd like the Sigma Art and Zeiss lenses!
*) The DFA 15-30 is a heavy beast, any plans for a small-sized, similar to the DA-15 Ltd in Full-Frame? Slow aperture, stunning image quality, WR and 19-21mm? Think of the hikers - the K-1 is heavy enough! I want a modern replacement of the M20/4
You won't get a small 15mm lens for FF; look at the 15/3.5 and the 18/3.5 lenses.
Remember that 20mm is ultra wide in FF. I don't see the big usage for a 15mm lens. 99.9999999% of all images are shot at smaller angle of view. You risk photographing your own ears, particularly if the are protruding, on each image!
02-23-2016, 05:23 AM   #103
Pentaxian

Indeed but it is, optically, quite not up to competitors standards. And K-1 is a field camera. Seems to me architecture is part of this too so a T/S although not first priority would relevant.
02-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #104

Adam,

I don't know if this question has been asked already, but since the 1.4tc is not FF compatible: will there be a FF compatible 1.4tc for use with the (confirmed FF compatible) 200, 300 and 560 lenses. This will be the deciding factor for me whether to get the K1 or not: I would want to use it with the DA560 + 1.4tc.

thanks
Chris
02-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #105
Forum Member

Keep posting here, I'm compiling all suggestions posted into a document that we'll pass along at the interview.
Awesome! Thanks Adam!

My most specific suggestion is the following, which is my take on the general idea of K/M lens stop-down metering on shutter half-press. One of the main blind spots in this description is flash metering, which I don't know enough about to suggest something specific.

QuoteQuote:
Firmware update for K-1, K-3, and K-3 II to add a new option to the "Using Aperture Ring" custom function and add the "Manual Aperture Priority" (MAv) exposure mode

1. A third option would be added to the "Using Aperture Ring" custom function called "Permitted with MAv"

2. When this option is selected and the lens aperture ring is not in the A position (or has no A position), the Av exposure mode that replaces the green, P, Sv, Av, Tv, and TAv modes is itself replaced by the new MAv exposure mode.

3. The MAv exposure mode is not available under any other conditions than above.

4. The exposure modes M, B, X, and User modes are not affected by this new option.

5. The MAv exposure mode will function as follows:
5.1 Aperture is set on the lens and the lens is stopped-down for exposures.
5.2 Shutter speed is set via stop-down metering that occurs on the half-press of the shutter release button or pressing the green button.
5.3 Stop-down metering that occurs on the half-press of the shutter release is only at the beginning of the half-press. Holding the shutter half-press will not give further meter readings. The shutter release must be half-pressed again (or green button pressed) to get new meter readings.
5.4 Shutter speed is not manually changeable.
5.5 Stop-down metering takes precedence over AF evaluation, but focus checking via AF is still available. (No K/M lenses or extenders/adapters have AF.)
5.6 Shutter release takes precedence over stop-down metering. That is, if the metering is not complete, the shutter will still release.
5.7 The shutter speed value persists between metering (like M mode).
5.8 Sensitivity (ISO) is set manually.
5.9 Exposure compensation is available and is applied to the value obtained from stop-down metering.
5.10 Depth-of-field preview is available and previews the aperture set on the lens.
5.11 AE-lock is available and prevents the stop-down metering from occurring while the lock is active.
Another firmware idea I like is from this thread:
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
- A firmware update for K-1 and K-3 with the following feature: Automatic stitching of four images where the image sensor is shifted maximal to the four corners. A "larger sensor simulator". If I calculated correctly that would make K-3 a simulated 32,4 Mp camera and K-1 a simulated 44,4 Mp camera.

Finally, it would be good to be able to quickly access the "Input Focal Length" screen via either assignment to one of the function buttons or some way to quickly access it from the "SR" setting on the new top knob. This would target pre F-series zoom lens with SR usage.

Thanks again Adam for being willing to pass this info on to Ricoh!