Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CP+ Interview Question Suggestions

CP+ starts in a week, and when the show opens we will once again have the opportunity to sit down with a few Japanese Pentax reps, ask some questions, and get a quick demo of the K-1.

Please post any interview suggestions in this thread.

Note that questions about specific unreleased products will be ignored.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-18-2016, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

- With the K-1 finally in production what big goals does Pentax have for its APS-C and FF product lines, including potential priorities in expanding their lens collection?

- How does Pentax view its core user base both inside and outside of Japan?

- What lessons has Pentax learned in the design, development and marketing of the K-1 that it might apply to future products?

- Did some of the design elements in the K-1 emerge from the evolution of the APS-C line? For example, the K-1 lacks an on-board flash which was one significant change made in the evolution of the K-3 to K-3 II. Did the market response to the K3-II affect the willingness to also omit the flash from the K-1?
02-18-2016, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

The other manufacturers seem to be going in the direction of fewer megapixels and more af points. The K1 is going the opposite direction, high resolution and fewer AF points. Tell us your rationale for your choice, as well tell us the tradeoffs that are considered.
02-18-2016, 09:55 PM - 2 Likes   #4
mee
Veteran Member

Is Ricoh Imaging looking to enhance it's support services beyond Precision Camera Repair in the US?
If no, are they aware of all the reported issues with Precision Camera Repair with Pentax repairs?

What can we expect to see in the future for Pentax as a brand?

Will there be any new items with the APS-C system this year? 645 system? Q?

02-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #5

Are they gonna launch the Limited "3 amigos" with HD coating?? or maybe a whole new modern version??

We know K1 is a camera for photographers and we love it like that, but what are they plans for video?? Are they aware that a massive amount of dslr and mirrorless filmmakers are using Takumars and K-mount in their Canon or Sony cameras?? Are they thinking to step in the real professional movie camera market?? (this last one based on the RED camera rumour).
02-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Is the Philippine assembly plant dedicated to Pentax production or is it a contract facility producing other brands as well? Can the plant produce the estimated pre-orders comfortably prior to the April ship date?
02-18-2016, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #7

The other players in FF have a pretty extensive line of lens already out, can we expect Pentax to be agressive in lens launch to fill the gaps ?

02-18-2016, 10:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1) There were rumors about 645 adapters for the k-1, even that there might be two different models. Any information on where Pentax is going with 645 -> FF lense compatibility?

2) Lots of mentions on the new Pentax K-1 website about "field camera". What is Pentax's definition of a field camera?

3) Still some debate here about the AF points sensitivity. Are all AF points -3EV or only some?

4) Will Pentax be publishing a list of Pentax lenses with compatibility to the K-1?

5) Why is there no DFA*24-70 when there is a DFA*70-200?
02-18-2016, 10:53 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
5) Why is there no DFA*24-70 when there is a DFA*70-200?
I don't think they wanted to put a star on a Tamron lens

4) Will Pentax be publishing a list of Pentax lenses with compatibility to the K-1?
That list can be found in the manual (all K mount lenses are compatible; the DA* 200mm and 300mm and 560mm have special profiles for FF mode in addition to profiles for crop mode). As for specific crop coverage tests, that's something we plan to investigate for all DA lenses.

3) Still some debate here about the AF points sensitivity. Are all AF points -3EV or only some?
All the points are I believe, but only the center 5x5 grid is cross-type.

We'll definitely clarify some of these things during our hands-on demo of the K-1

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-18-2016, 11:05 PM - 6 Likes   #10

Say big thanks to Ricoh for bringing us K-1
02-18-2016, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
What can we expect to see in the future for Pentax as a brand?

Will there be any new items with the APS-C system this year? 645 system? Q?
I think these brand-direction questions are important in general.
02-18-2016, 11:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Basically I want to know Ricoh ie. Pentax's view on where to now for full frame and aps-c in terms of camera and lenses?

And from outside the square I want to know if Ricoh ie. Pentax have thought of producing a Black and White Photo Quality Inkjet Printer? In this day and age so much of photography is online ie. on-screen. I remember when I had a darkroom I would produce Black and White prints of varying sizes, then not so much was online, so for Ricoh to do something extraordinary have they thought of producing such a printer? Some might say that they can do this with their existing photo inkjet printers, but I am talking about a completely different beast where all the ink tanks are shades of black and gray. Epson had one but never came through with it
I ask as I know Ricoh do produce printers, although office machines.

Do they have any projects we have not heard of that they could give us a few hints on?

Lastly I would like to thank Ricoh ie. Pentax for producing the K-1 Full Frame, I will definitely get one at some stage.
02-18-2016, 11:13 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If the K-1 becomes a success, does Ricoh have any plans on making a lower MP/spec model? I'm simply a photography enthusiast, and although I have pre-ordered a K-1, it is way more camera than I need. I'm getting a K-1 just because I want to use my full frame capable lenses to their full potential.

Also, if Ricoh does plan on making a more consumer-friendly model, will it come in multiple colors? =)

What does the future hold for the Q series of cameras?

QuoteOriginally posted by Jyrkira Quote
Say big thanks to Ricoh for bringing us K-1
+1

Last edited by mamba909; 02-18-2016 at 11:15 PM. Reason: To quote a previous post
02-18-2016, 11:25 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1. What took so long? (Only kidding - don't ask them that)
2. When might we see the next generation 645z? Might it include a larger sensor or some form of pixel shift to hold its IQ advantage over the best full frame offerings?
3. What are the plans for improving product servicing and repair in the USA?
3. Any hints if or when some of Ricoh's more interesting patents, such as the switchable mirror, might be seen in a new model?
4. How's business/profitability, recent as well as projected?
02-18-2016, 11:39 PM   #15

In-body AF motor - any quieter than K-5 or K-3?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
CP+ starts in a week, and when the show opens we will once again have the opportunity to sit down with a few Japanese Pentax reps, ask some questions, and get a quick demo of the K-1.

Please post any interview suggestions in this thread.

Note that questions about specific unreleased products will be ignored.

Hi, Adam.

Since some of the lenses that I will be using with the K-1 include the FA 77 Ltd and the FA 43 Ltd, if possible, could you try a screw-driven lens on the K-1, to check if the in-body auto-focus motor is any quieter than the one in the K-5iis or the K-3? I hope that the shutter will also be at least as quiet as the K-5, hopefully even quieter. Could you also check the shutter sound level?

Would it be asking too much to also check the auto-focus speed of the new 24-70 f/2.8 Pentax zoom lens (Tamron re-badge?) in very low-light (-3 EV)? Am I asking too much? Since we will only be getting the K-1 around mid-April, early May (in some places), it would be helpful to some of us here to have this information as soon as possible, before buying. Many thanks.

Last edited by gloaming; 02-18-2016 at 11:43 PM. Reason: mispelled "quieter". Typing error showed "quiter"