Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 08:40 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can we expect firmware updates not only to include new lenses, bug fixes and minor improvements, but actually give some new features?
I'm thinking of things like:
- more info in view finder through the overlay LCD
- maybe two firmware files, one for still use and other for video use, if there is some memory or CPU limitation to keep video very basic as a stardard feature
- hardware SR for video (could be selectable, if not fixed). I think it worked well in K-5 and would like it back (though I don't do much video at all)
- automatic lens calibration and larger calibration window
- and so on...

02-20-2016, 11:04 AM   #62

I would like to know when they are going to fix problems with image sync app
02-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Is there any way to contact Pentax for feedback/feature suggestions?

Pentax reps have said that there is no proper SR for video because of the noise it makes.

However Olympus offers very well working SR during video. They advertise with it. Sony offers well working SR during video. They, too, advertise with it. Pentax offered very well working SR during video in cameras up until the K-5. Did Pentax change the SR system for one that is significantly noisier? Because it wasn't in the K-5. And what does Pentax say to those users who say... so what if it is noisy? We're using an external microphone/recorder anyway? Just give us the SR please?

We all know that for the K-1 the video specs announced so far haven't improved over previous cameras. Did you change something under the hood to improve it? Like full sensor readout that is then downscaled to 1080p, for example.

What happened to the Fn button found on old Pentax cameras? Some users loved it, and miss it. It allowed users to always have the left, right, up and down button work for selecting the focus point. Only when pressing the Fn button would those buttons be reassigned to WB, picture style, flash, ... That was great, the way it is now isn't.

Bracketing with 4 photos please, where the sensor is in the corners? i.e. up left, up right, bottom left, bottom right. No need to do stitching in camera. Ideally this works with things like exposure bracketing.

LOG modes are very popular these days, and drive sales. So much that Panasonic is even charging for a firmware update on the GH4 that offers LOG. $100 just to get LOG. Any chance on getting that on a Pentax?

How about a firmware for people who also want to do video? Including a LOG mode, unlocking sensor shift SR during video, offering higher bitrates and perhaps MJPEG. Clean HDMI out would be nice too, or even raw video (that is written to both SD slots at the same time)? The K-1 is very much a dream camera for videographers that is let down by the firmware. Make it a paid upgrade to pay for the cost of developing it, without offloading that cost to stills shooters who hate the idea of paying one cent for video functionality.

Will there be a FF camera above the K-1, or is it going to remain the flagship? It seems to be a bit of an entry level FF camera, with plenty of room above it.

Is it possible to do in camera battery charging via USB? That would enable charging 2 batteries at once if using one external charger, it would enable charging the battery when a charger was forgotten. It also enables charging the camera while it is in use, thus extending battery life for astrophotographers who aren't near an outlet. There are plenty of battery packs with USB port out there.

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
Is this possible? Why did Pentax decide to go with electronic image stabilization?
Thanks.
Pentax has already answered this (though it sounds like a bogus answer): The SR system is too noisy. IMHO on the K-5 it wasn't, on lesser Pentax cameras that had it you could hear some noise. However that is easily avoided using external microphones or external recorders, so at least having the option would be nice.

As for 3rd party lens makers: There are some really nice lenses coming out from lesser known brands. Really nice manual focus, good quality, ... but only going to where the videographers are. Too bad they aren't with Pentax...

Last edited by kadajawi; 02-20-2016 at 12:15 PM.
02-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #64

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q1) About motion-correction in pixel-shift: Is this an algorithm to correct small motions within the frame (i.e.: correct for moving leaves), or will it allow for corrections of motion on the entire frame (i.e.: will we be able to use pixelshift handheld?). In case it is only for small corrections of moving objects within the frame: Does that necessarily reduce the added sharpness due to pixel-shift? I really hope we will be able to use pixel-shift handheld.

Q2) Pentax keeps surprising us with new ways of using sensorshift to increase the abilities of the camera. For the macro-shooters amongst pentaxians: Is Ricoh considering the use of sensor shift for automatic in-camera focus stacking?

02-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Q: Since the investment in a magnesium WR body is substantial, will we see something along the lines of the Sony A7 series? Multiple bodies with different specifications? Maybe a K1v - for video?
Q: Any plans for a 300mm f/2.8?
02-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #66
Veteran Member

I second the post that we should thank Ricoh for the K-1.

I am tempted but will probably wait for a Pentax camera with industry leading AF.C / tracking. From my initial sense of the K-1 AF.C / tracking it appears to be about the same as the K-3. For the intended audience for the K-1 that is probably more than adequate. For photographers doing a lot of wildlife photography the AF.C / tracking doesn't appear to move the ball forward a lot.

Since most of my current photography is wildlife, I would be interested in the plans for industry leading AF.C / tracking.

Thanks
02-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #67
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Q: Which of the following kinds of users are you targeting with the K-1:
- Existing Pentax users wanting to go fullframe
- Users from other brands wanting to go fullframe
- Existing full frame users from other brands

Q: Now that the K-1 is out, can we expect new technologies like the 5-axes SR, LCD viewfinder overlays etc. to find their way into new APS-C models?

Q: What can you tell us about new APS-C DSLRs in general? What will the focus be with regard to new APS-C bodies?

Q: How do you see the current situation with regards to third party lenses for the K-mount (APS-C and full frame), and how do you see this developing into the future?

Q: You recently filed a patent for what looks like a new wide-angle lens for the Q system (4.2mm f/1.8). What can you tell us about the future of the Q lens line?

Q: I recently searched for "pentax k-1 viewfinder" in Google, as I was looking for an image displaying the AF grid. All I got was images of the K-01, and that doesn't even have a viewfinder. It may be a small thing, but I can't imagine this being good for marketing. What are your thoughts on this?

02-20-2016, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
CP+ starts in a week, and when the show opens we will once again have the opportunity to sit down with a few Japanese Pentax reps, ask some questions, and get a quick demo of the K-1.

Please post any interview suggestions in this thread.

Note that questions about specific unreleased products will be ignored.

Adam, you already have more questions than you can possibly ask and I'm sure that you have a good feel for what needs to be asked so my suggestion is for you to take several bottles of fine Sake to the interview and apply liberally! Maybe they will open up a little more! ;-)
02-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Q1: will Pentax build a sturdy gun carriage with laser tracking swivel mount to hold a DFA*1200mm F2.8 ?
02-21-2016, 01:13 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Roll out the lens roadmap. Some zooms are what others may expect, but where are the primes for FF?
02-21-2016, 02:30 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Is there a WA T/S lens planned at some point?
02-21-2016, 11:26 AM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Is there any way to contact Pentax for feedback/feature suggestions?
This would be good to know in general. I seem to recall that back in the Hoya days there was a feedback form on their site for this purpose. I have not seen an equivalent in these Ricoh days. Anyone know? Sorry this is a bit off-topic, but it seems like there are many of us who have ideas in this thread that we would like to share with Pentax/Ricoh. If this is not the appropriate place to start this discussion, I would be happy to start a new thread on it.
02-21-2016, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #73
Veteran Member

Will there be a US based repair center that replaces Precision for cameras, lens, flashes, etc. below the 645?
02-21-2016, 04:23 PM - 2 Likes   #74
Veteran Member

Will there ever be a pentax tilt-shift lens?
02-22-2016, 02:57 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Will there be a new viewfinder loupe that is FF compatible?

The current O-ME53 doesn't seem to cover a viewfinder larger than the K-3(II)'s. Having a solution for the K-1 is important, because with the 1.2x magnification of the loupe, the K-3(II)'s 0.63x magnification (0.95x / 1.5 crop factor) is actually bigger than the 0.7x of the K-1 (1.2 x 0.63 = 0.75x). I didn't realize this until I looked through a friend's Nikon D750's viewfinder which also is 0.7x. My K-3II's viewfinder looked slightly bigger with the loupe, and the numbers confirm this.

Wim