Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 02:56 PM - 2 Likes   #106
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Can Pentax publish the API to wireless communication to K-1 and successor cameras to enable third party developers implement wireless camera control apps for other platforms as well as add new wireless control features?

02-23-2016, 06:24 PM - 4 Likes   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read the paragraph in the interview on the Special Site where the product manager describes talking to a user in Germany and having an Epiphany! about making the FF.

I would be interested to hear a natural conversation about their understanding of 'Pentaxian' - that group of users who stubbornly cling to the K-mount against all rational judgement - and those jumpers who nevertheless hedged their bets and held on the their FA Limiteds - Who do they think we are? Why do they think we do it? What is our role in the future? How do they build out the brand with us as the foundation?
02-24-2016, 01:27 AM   #108

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You won't get a small 15mm lens for FF; look at the 15/3.5 and the 18/3.5 lenses.
Remember that 20mm is ultra wide in FF. I don't see the big usage for a 15mm lens. 99.9999999% of all images are shot at smaller angle of view. You risk photographing your own ears, particularly if the are protruding, on each image!
I was talking about a 19-21mm lens. When I look at the Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 it should be possible to produce a reasonable small-sized f/4 variant.
02-24-2016, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #109
Veteran Member

Does Ricoh plan to get Pentax gear back into retail stores outside of New York City and Toronto? e.g., through incentives to retailers

02-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #110

At the risk of hitting "no video, go buy a camcorder" guys, Pentax K1 pretty much leaves me no questions except two for K1 and then some questions for future products that are of most interest to me, cause that conclude whether I switch brands.
Here goes those regarding K1:

1: Are there any chances there could be a firmware update enabling sensor shift stabilization during video recording? Since K1 supports external mics the noise issue is actually irrelevant, majority people who do video filming using DSLRs use them for creative videography and 80% of them will use external microphone to record noise, which most likely will be a directional microphone which will not record the Sensor stabilization noises. Why not give sensor shift stabilization as a selectable option? We know that Pentax DSLRs are capable of that since K-7 times if I am not mistaken.
2: Why no focus peaking during video recording? It would have been a good time to put there a more powerful processing chip.

and here goes questions regarding future products.
3: Are there any plans to improve video features to meet those found in such cameras like Sony A6300? Pentax cameras seem to be the only ones left with video features lacking behind all other competitors. Maybe a new APS-C sensor camera is in the works addressing this issue?
4: Seeing majority of industry camera manufacturers are getting huge interest in mirror-less systems, are there any plans to introduce a successor of K-01 (this time with a normal body design and a EVF?)

Thank you.
02-24-2016, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #111

Does Pentax have any Plans to bring in a camera for sports/action either FF or APS-C? Something similar or better than Nikon D500.
02-24-2016, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
4: Seeing majority of industry camera manufacturers are getting huge interest in mirror-less systems, are there any plans to introduce a successor of K-01 (this time with a normal body design and a EVF?)

Thank you.
I agree with all your questions. Maybe in addition to this point: Since the demise of Samsung there is no APS-C sized "proper" mirrorless camera, that is one that puts ergonomics above form. A mirrorless camera with Pentax' legendary ergonomics would be great. New lens mount, new mirrorless lenses, short flange distance. A K mount adapter with AF motor could be supplied in the box, so that backwards compatibility is there. Look at the NX1, it has a proper grip and controls, but is simply thinner around the lens mount.

02-24-2016, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I agree with all your questions. Maybe in addition to this point: Since the demise of Samsung there is no APS-C sized "proper" mirrorless camera, that is one that puts ergonomics above form. A mirrorless camera with Pentax' legendary ergonomics would be great. New lens mount, new mirrorless lenses, short flange distance. A K mount adapter with AF motor could be supplied in the box, so that backwards compatibility is there. Look at the NX1, it has a proper grip and controls, but is simply thinner around the lens mount.
+1
I am still wishing Pentax had bought the mirrorless cam department of Samsung. What a start it could have been in ML cams. It could have become the video/sports line of Pentax without eating up much of Pentax classic business.
02-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #114
Veteran Member

is there any short plan to release a successor to k01 after sigma catch up the milc market cameras and the EVF TECHNOLOGY becomes better and cheaper than 3 years ago!
02-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
+1
I am still wishing Pentax had bought the mirrorless cam department of Samsung. What a start it could have been in ML cams. It could have become the video/sports line of Pentax without eating up much of Pentax classic business.
And I would have loved to see Samsung hardware in Pentax DSLRs. A K-3-like DSLR using the Samsung sensor and processor, and most of the software? Plus shake reduction (stills AND video)? Mind blowing. Alas I doubt it will ever happen. Hopefully all the effort that has gone into the NX1 isn't wasted, and they will offer the chips and technology to other brands. Ideally Samsung will release a competing product to the Milbeaut, and maintain it, update it.
02-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #116

another one on Video

Do they plan to battle moire effects in video too?

As I understand now there is a lot of moire in all video capturing of Pentax DSLRs (including K-3 II). They found a clever way to battle moire through sensor shift for stills, but in video capturing the problem still occurs.
I think its even worse because they probably do line skipping and no full sensor readout + oversampling.

I think this is one of their biggest downsides of video capturing at the moment.
02-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #117
Veteran Member

There is very many "cant say anything about future products" here. Please ask something they can answer and elaborate on.
02-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #118
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vitc Quote
Can Pentax publish the API to wireless communication to K-1 and successor cameras to enable third party developers implement wireless camera control apps for other platforms as well as add new wireless control features?
Yes please! Why didn't I think of that question... A wireless tethering desktop app is the way to go.
02-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #119

Adam, my request for Pentax/Ricoh managers would be to extend the in-camera corrections for the Pentax lenses of the pre-digital era. By now, they implemented these corrections just for some FA or Limited lenses, but probably it would not been so costly to add corrections also for many other lenses. Why not all the FA lenses? And the F lenses? I would suggest that also for the lenses that are not recognized as specific Pentax lenses by the camera (this occur of course for K and M lenses, but probably also for F lenses), it would be possible to assign specific in camera corrections, "manually" selected by the user. The function can be implemented as for the choice of the focal length when you mount a K or M or A lens. For example: you mount a manual focus lens, the display will ask (just as it works now) to select the focal, you will say (for example) 200, the display will ask: do you want select an in camera correction for Pentax lenses (Y/N ). If yes, you will be asked to select among corrections for the Pentax A 200 f2.8, M 200 f4, K200 f4, or other Pentax 200 manual focus lenses...
02-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #120
Pentaxian

Multizone/p-ttl with old lenses à la Nikon F6 (one can dream) and pleaaaase proper video SR.