Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Ricoh Imaging is such a small part of the Ricoh Group, that no specific numbers are included in these reports.
Next report should be published on August 5th. I think the K-1 will be briefly mentioned.

07-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
(...)

Is Ricoh a publicly traded company? Surely they'd want to publish their numbers in the quarterly report if they were.
They are listed but camera sales figures, be it altogether or for the K-1 only, are totally non-material. There isn't even a 'Ricoh Imaging' business unit in their reporting: it's included among 'Others'.
07-20-2016, 02:29 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, I'm not quite sure any OEM would advertise exact sale numbers.
07-20-2016, 04:27 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Actually, no-one publicise detailled data, afaik.

07-20-2016, 09:26 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
That's what I thought....
Thx.
07-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #36
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
That's what I thought....
Thx.
There are numbers to some manufacturers.
07-20-2016, 11:14 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Yes, but so far never seen sales numbers breakdowns per references.

07-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
There are numbers to some manufacturers.
Lies, damn lies and statistics?

There's a lesson in the mobile phone market, for those who want to see numbers.
07-20-2016, 09:10 PM   #39
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
This is not how it works. It is based on last minute production; every component is manufactured and delivered as close as possible to the assembly date.
This is not production of fruit salad for a local market. This is production of a complicated optical instrument with global demand.

---------- Post added 07-21-2016 at 02:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Ricoh most certainly will have calculated sales targets as any manufacturer would and have liaised with parts suppliers mainly to establish prices, But this is where it ends,

The Japanese have pioneered the JIT manufacturing and stock holding system (I believe Toyota have been the driving force) JIT stands for Just In Time. I visit Japan a lot (in fact I am in Japan this very minute) and know first hand that virtually every manufacturer of any note produces under the JIT system. Ordering and supply is finely tuned.
I work with Japanese and they tour through their factories.

JIT is not the only philosophy of organising production — it is only one much touted about in America, who shifted its manufacturing in far east and instead became money lenders and oil producers. To reassure their own people that killing of domestic car industry jobs and lowering of wages "will not be a big deal", Americans told them that Japanese will sort everything out by automation and lowering of cost, all will come just in time because that philosophy works well with shipping of containers in which cars are transported from Japan.

In short, JIT works in certain industries, but some do not benefit from it, especially in the beginning of the lifetime of a brand new product. Ricoh knows demand for a new camera will be highest in the beginning, and they must be ready and not frustrate the market to choose alternatives. (Wait for FF has been too looong.)

Last edited by Uluru; 07-20-2016 at 09:28 PM.
07-20-2016, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #40
mee
Veteran Member

At the end of this debate, I'm wondering what do you guys expect to get out of it for your time and emotion? What is the goal?
07-21-2016, 04:19 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
What is the goal?
I'm sure you've got a pretty good idea that there isn't one...
07-21-2016, 05:07 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spreading FUD isn't about them. It's about us.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-22-2016 at 11:45 AM.
07-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #43
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
At the end of this debate, I'm wondering what do you guys expect to get out of it for your time and emotion? What is the goal?
Entertainment.......some just want to be right, no matter how wrong they are.
07-21-2016, 01:01 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote

In short, JIT works in certain industries, but some do not benefit from it, especially in the beginning of the lifetime of a brand new product. .)
Pentax have done since the 90's at least. Most of the parts for the camera is manufactured and supplied from the subcontractors within a month of assembly....
07-27-2016, 12:08 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pentax have done since the 90's at least. Most of the parts for the camera is manufactured and supplied from the subcontractors within a month of assembly....
But doesn't you stockpile a few month of production at launch so that everybody world wide has enough stock to server the demand?

If you have your own factory, it doesn't make sense to have huge capacity iddling most of the time to do JIT including at product release. You keep a lower capacity, reducing need for employees, real estate and machines and try to optimize your factory capacity.

Sure you don't continue to produce is there no forecast it is needed. You also want to adapt to demand and not stock pile.

But there still a need to accumulate before a launch for cameras... And for lenses the whole business seems based on batch as the sale are very low and there huge economy on scale to produce them in quantity for a short period of time instead of producing a few of each type every day.

JIT is the opposite of basic principle of factory that you do always the same thing in quantity to reduce cost. I am sure there quite few models and strategies to optimize things overall as a tradeof of amount of money invested, reactivity to market, reduce risk of having stock of unsold products as well hability to follow demand... Among other things...