Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2016, 12:17 AM - 2 Likes   #16
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Digitalis - I can't find an English version of the new lens catalogue. Actually, I can't remember ever seeing an English version of the old one. Is this just a Japan thing? They are normally available in all stores that stock Pentax, along with the camera catalogues.

ColiNiloK - The Japanese for the K-1 catalogue is available at this link
(Link to 17mb PDF) http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/support/catalog/pdf/k-1.pdf
All Japanese camera catalogues: ?????????????? | RICOH IMAGING
I can't see an English version of the K-1 catalogue, but the same information is available in English on these product pages.
Features1 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING

gloaming - I also have a K-5 IIs and I didn't think the K-1 sounded much louder. I'm afraid I can't say for sure how it compares to other cameras because it was a noisy environment and I didn't have any other camera to compare it to side by side. I doubt that it would make an FA77 any quieter in focusing. I think that noise is inherent to the lens design. I'm kicking myself now, because I had my FA77 in my bag, but didn't try it.

Also, I should add that all the ISO samples I saw were provided by Ricoh, and presumably chosen to show the K-1 in a good light.

02-28-2016, 01:44 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

awesome report thanks ☺️
02-28-2016, 01:45 AM   #18
Banned

Thanks for the report.

Anything about the 645-k-mount adapter and how that works on K-1?
02-28-2016, 02:02 AM   #19

Thanks for the report, very appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Digitalis - I can't find an English version of the new lens catalogue. Actually, I can't remember ever seeing an English version of the old one. Is this just a Japan thing? They are normally available in all stores that stock Pentax, along with the camera catalogues.

ColiNiloK - The Japanese for the K-1 catalogue is available at this link
(Link to 17mb PDF) http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/support/catalog/pdf/k-1.pdf
All Japanese camera catalogues: ?????????????? | RICOH IMAGING
I can't see an English version of the K-1 catalogue, but the same information is available in English on these product pages.

gloaming - I also have a K-5 IIs and I didn't think the K-1 sounded much louder. I'm afraid I can't say for sure how it compares to other cameras because it was a noisy environment and I didn't have any other camera to compare it to side by side. I doubt that it would make an FA77 any quieter in focusing. I think that noise is inherent to the lens design. I'm kicking myself now, because I had my FA77 in my bag, but didn't try it.

Also, I should add that all the ISO samples I saw were provided by Ricoh, and presumably chosen to show the K-1 in a good light.
I think I got a lens and accessories catalog at Photokina 2 years ago.
They also have this one at the German Ricoh website for download (PENTAX Objektive und Zubehör 2014), new one will be probably released 2016 during photokina:
Kataloge - RICOH IMAGING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH

There might be even an english version at some point at Yodobashi in Akiba, they are very english oriented there.

02-28-2016, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An important reminder on the concerns over the shutter noise is that the faster the shutter speed is the sharper the pitch gets - this also works in reverse, the slower it gets the more percussive it will sound.

The pentax 67 shutter at 1/2s sounds like a 40g brass coin being forcefully ditched into a tin bucket. If the K-1 is 1/3rd quieter than that, It will be fine.

The sound of the K5IIs shutter at speeds 1/2500th is noticeably different from 1/250th and at 1/25th.
02-28-2016, 06:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This report is so convenient and well written. Thanks for your time and your efforts.
02-28-2016, 07:10 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I went to CP+ on Saturday, so here is a report my visit. You can already see pictures of what was exhibited on other threads and websites, so I won’t waste my time repeating that. I’ll focus on my impressions and things I was told personally at the booths.

CP+ 2016
The show was bigger than in previous years. It was still in the Pacifico Yokohama exhibition centre, but they separated the photo exhibitions into a hall at the end of the remarkable new ship terminal pier in Yokohama. The building has this really complex undulating wooden decking, and even when you are in the hall, the floor just rises up like the side of a valley to meet the ceiling. Even in the absence of any exhibition, it’s worth a visit if you're in Yokohama with an interest in modern architecture.

The Ricoh booth
It was very busy compared to previous years. Of course, there's good reason for that.
- There was very little focus on APS-C models, 645 or Q. The focus was all on the K-1 and Ricoh compacts (Theta, WG and GR).
- I tried the latest version of the VR app for the Theta. I was pretty impressed by the speed of the head tracking and the way that you could select images by looking at little photo spheres that appeared to be floating in front of you.
- They had a counter with the WG-M2. I don’t know much about this kind of camera, but it seemed a bit smaller and better made than the existing one.
- I complained last year about the lack of variety in the photography shown at Ricoh - there was too much landscape and not much else. This year there was a better variety, perhaps because the target for the K-1 is broader than the 645z. They had some large prints from the K-1 taken with the limited primes. Note that the incredibly vibrant and detailed image that Barney Britton is looking at 2:20 in this DPR video was taken with an FA43 f5.0 and showed no weakness in the corners close up. I was peering at it as closely as he was for a while.
CP+ 2016: Pentax K-1 past and present: Digital Photography Review
There was another print of similar size taken with an FA31 at f4.0 which was also very good. I think people are worrying too much about the performance of old lenses.
- They have finally made a new lens catalogue, and I picked one up. The FA 31/35/43/50/77 are still in the catalogue. It’s available from their website.
(Direct link to a 15mb file) http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/support/catalog/pdf/lenses_accessories.pdf

K-1
I had to wait in line to get to see the K-1, but fortunately, I was free to look at the camera for a while with the help of a very enthusiastic Ricoh rep. The DFA 28-105 was attached. Basically, it is a very impressive camera.
- Everything about the handling of the camera feels just as you’d expect from a Pentax. The new dial system on top is very easy to use. The screen may be complicated behind, but that isn't a concern for the user. It is really easy to just pull out and position it as you want, and it feels more natural than the swing-out type. The lighting is also cool. Actually, the camera didn’t feel much bigger than a K-3 to me. The shutter sound was perhaps a bit louder than a K-3, but not a horrible clattery sound.
- Pixel shift is really good. I was able to take pictures of the exhibition floor handheld, with the camera applying the pixel shift resolution enhancement to the parts that weren’t moving, while detecting the people and using the image from a single shot for those parts of the image. The rep confirmed that the SR is still active while the pixel shift is working. He said that it should be good for handheld shooting in a lot of situations as long as you keep to a relatively high shutter speed.
- I asked about the sensor and ISO performance. According to the rep, the K-1 is at ISO 12,800 like the K-5 IIs is at 3200. The base ISO is 100 and Ricoh does not offer ISO expansion. It is exactly the same part as in the D810, but Nikon uses the sensor outside the manufacturer’s recommended ISO range, while Ricoh won’t do that. The reason why the K-1 is about one stop cleaner (he had images to show this) than the D810 is Ricoh’s improved “engine”.

Third-party lenses
- I had renewed interest in the Tamron stand, because there is a chance that the lenses they have could be released as Pentax lenses. I thought the 85mm f1.8 was a nice product. It seems to have plenty of subject isolation while still being small and light. I asked whether Tamron would make these in Pentax mount and the response what they are “calculating”, which I interpret to mean they are considering whether they could make money on it.
- At Sigma, I tried to ask how they decide whether to release lenses in K-mount, and pointed out that they had released the 35mm f1.4 in K-mount while Pentax had a number of 35mm lenses, but they haven’t released the wide angles that are missing in the Pentax line-up. The rep I spoke to just said that there were no immediate plans to release the new lenses in K-mount. On the subject of the 50-100 f1.8, I tried that out on a Sigma SD1 DSLR. It is huge, but not quite as heavy as I’d feared. The focusing was horrible, but I’m not sure if that’s a lens thing or the body. I was left rather unimpressed with the fast zooms. They don’t actually zoom much, so they seem to me like an awkward compromise between the convenience of a zoom and the quality of a prime.
- I asked Cosina and Kenko-Tokina about K-mount, but unfortunately they seem to have no interest at the moment.

Other Brands
I had a quick look at the other booths, but I have limited interest in the big cameras. I’m considering other brands for a small camera to take with me on business trips.
- Sigma Quattro - I looked at this, because it is somewhat similar in concept to the K-01. It looks like a very serious camera. It’s bigger than I thought, but that is probably for the best given how huge Sigma lenses are. As usual, the prints from Foveon looked excellent.
- Nikon DL compacts - I wanted to try these but I would have had to queue for a long time, so I gave up. I’m quite interested in the wide one. I was able to see some large prints from the cameras that satisfied me that they are very capable. I’d be even more interested if I could get one that handled like a GR.
- Canon G7X Mark II - Something about the way this feels was a lot nicer than the mark one. It’s really dense and has nice controls. It’s on my shortlist when the price comes down.
Thanks very much for the report. Two particular informations important to me:
1). Handheld pixel shifting possible.
2). ISO range same as D810. The extended range like ISO 50 is not recommended. I guess that usage in extended mode will reduce sensor life span...

02-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked at this before and meant to comment - that picture with ISO 102,400 below is bl**dy impressive at that resolution if that's what it is!
02-28-2016, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I doubt that it would make an FA77 any quieter in focusing. I think that noise is inherent to the lens design. I'm kicking myself now, because I had my FA77 in my bag, but didn't try it.

I had renewed interest in the Tamron stand, because there is a chance that the lenses they have could be released as Pentax lenses. I thought the 85mm f1.8 was a nice product. It seems to have plenty of subject isolation while still being small and light. I asked whether Tamron would make these in Pentax mount and the response what they are “calculating”, which I interpret to mean they are considering whether they could make money on it.
If we see the Tamron lenses it will be re-badged versions. Pentax still has a mechanical aperture arm so it makes it a little more difficult to produce a K-mount version compared to a Canon version where everything is electronic. If the 31mm, 43mm, & 77mm are still in the catalog then I doubt we will see the Tamron 35mm 45mm, & 85mm in K-mount.

---------- Post added 02-28-16 at 08:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
2). ISO range same as D810. The extended range like ISO 50 is not recommended. I guess that usage in extended mode will reduce sensor life span...
Why would you think that? Sensors don't actually have different ISO settings. Sensor have a base ISO and gain is applies to the image by the image processor for any ISO over 100.

Basically Ricoh is saying the new image processor is applying the same amount of gain as the D810, but creating less noise in the process.

---------- Post added 02-28-16 at 08:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
"Improved engine" sounds scary, are they messing with noise reduction on the raw files?
No. It means they can apply more digital gain without increasing the digital noise.
02-28-2016, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Thanks..this is good the K-1 is at ISO 12,800 like the K-5 IIs is at 3200 so 6400 should be very useable then and 3200 very clean
Great news for wildlife shooters. Being able to push to 3200 from 800 ISO gives us two stops of shutter speed to freeze action. With my small birds I'm constantly fluttering between 1/800s and 1/1000s, being able to go to 1/4000s with 800 ISO noise, is a game changer for long glass.
02-28-2016, 08:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks for being at CP+ for us.

You've been able to get really interesting info about the K-1. Good reporting too.

Thank you once again.
02-28-2016, 08:11 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've just been reading through that again, and it has answers to quite a few PF FAQs - and some nice stuff not much discussed
02-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #28

Thank you for the 1st hand report!
Very informative and concise!!

just one little thing that I am confused
QuoteQuote:
Note that the incredibly vibrant and detailed image that Barney Britton is looking at 2:20 in this DPR video was taken with an FA43 f5.0 and showed no weakness in the corners close up.
Did you mean at 1:09, the print on the wall with many ladies dressing like maidens in it?
02-28-2016, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
- I asked about the sensor and ISO performance. According to the rep, the K-1 is at ISO 12,800 like the K-5 IIs is at 3200. The base ISO is 100 and Ricoh does not offer ISO expansion. It is exactly the same part as in the D810, but Nikon uses the sensor outside the manufacturer’s recommended ISO range, while Ricoh won’t do that. The reason why the K-1 is about one stop cleaner (he had images to show this) than the D810 is Ricoh’s improved “engine”.
Surely this refers to the jpeg engine. The D810 is 1-1/5 stop cleaner than the K-3 in raw. There's no way in hell Pentax have managed to gain 4/5 of a stop over the D810 raw performance with the same sensor.
Nikon D810 vs Pentax K-3
02-28-2016, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Surely this refers to the jpeg engine. The D810 is 1-1/5 stop cleaner than the K-3 in raw. There's no way in hell Pentax have managed to gain 4/5 of a stop over the D810 raw performance with the same sensor.
Nikon D810 vs Pentax K-3
Seems to me they did pretty much the same thing with the D7000 and K-5. Same sensor, DxO measured more dynamic range from the K-5.

Last edited by normhead; 02-28-2016 at 10:02 AM.