Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 83 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 06:15 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
I heard there is an ignore function here. While I am extremely reluctant to put anyone on ignore, you are getting dangerously close to ending up in that bin. Very tiresome negativity.
I am using it but people keep quoting (and a am way to curious )

About pixelshift. Ricoh is not advertising the correction of camera motion between independent shots (1 full colour en r g b) but apparently it does that anyway (like it can do in hdr mode). When shooting at high shutterspeed I could imagine that would result in a sharper image albeit not as sharp as shooting from a tripod. Maybe we could also use the feature for reducing noise in dark scenario's (since pixelshift reduces noise) Sharpness isn't going to be critcal on high iso anyway but it could result in a better image.

Last edited by D1N0; 03-02-2016 at 06:28 AM.
03-02-2016, 06:24 AM - 2 Likes   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pixel shift is for the guys like me, who go out and travel to a certain spot just for a sunset. IN the old days we would have taken a 4x5 or 645. We aren't hoping to be portable, we aren't shooting movement. We were already using tripods. So none of this is an issue. That's why Pentax says "this is a field camera."

As for the people who keep talking about not using tripods... there are times I don't use a tripod , and guess what? I have to shoot in burst mode and I'm taking 4 or 5 images to get one anyway. Maybe i'm the only one who's noticed but SR isn't terribly dependable. Great when it works, doesn't always work. So, I'm going to end up taking 4 shots for my sunsets, and 4 to 10 shots for my hand held shots.

I'm not sure what the issue is. Press the shutter button once either way, it's over in a second or two either way.

Not using a tripod is simply a crap shoot.
03-02-2016, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Maybe i'm the only one who's noticed but SR isn't terribly dependable.
It is a assistant to get sharper images at low shutter speeds. You have to try to keep the camera still. It is not a forget about shake and shoot without a worry feature.
03-02-2016, 06:47 AM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fromunderthebridge Quote
First, to address my thoughts on the PS discussion (not directly directed to Rondec). I do agree wrt. the commentary on the sensor readout speed, disagree on some people's proclivity to judge before seeing actual results (some people should eat their 'vitamins') and finally hope for the best.

Sorry, I'm replying on a bit of a tangent here on the tripod use, however, tripod isn't always that simple. I have to say that in some cases the tripod has to be an absolute monumental, hulking and heavy beast (try high arctic winds ) to be of any use. Unfortunately on some of these same situations dragging such a tripod with is highly impractical. As such, potential for hand held shots is actually appreciated. Not disagreeing per se, just pointing out fringe use cases.
I am not sure how often you would actually get better results hand held than with a tripod. If you have an arctic wind blowing, odds are that you will be more stable on a tripod than hand held, although to be sure, you probably should bump your iso somewhat as well.

I just have an issue with people universally dismissing PS as a "I'll try it a couple of times and never use it again," feature, when the results I have seen are pretty impressive.

03-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #140
Pentaxian

Well I hope to use it a lot, but with a tripod at scenes that doesn’t move. I’m more surprised at those who plan to use it on moving water/waterfalls. Pixel perfect sharpness on moving water?
03-02-2016, 07:50 AM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I’m more surprised at those who plan to use it on moving water/waterfalls. Pixel perfect sharpness on moving water?
Glitch art photography is a thing, right? Color shift the green blobs into different colors using layer masks? Not conventional landscape beauty at all for that kind of shot... but a frothy pink blob of Pepto Bismol flowing down Svartifoss has never been done before.

Pentax is innovating their technology and we get to innovate our techniques and photo ideas thanks to these new tools. I'm thrilled to see what works, what doesn't, and what people can dream up to help merge those worlds.
03-02-2016, 07:52 AM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I hope to use it a lot, but with a tripod at scenes that doesn’t move. I’m more surprised at those who plan to use it on moving water/waterfalls. Pixel perfect sharpness on moving water?
Agreed - also It strikes me as on of the potential creative uses being able to maximise the contrast between the static and the moving -, but that's just something to play with in the future, might or might not have value

03-02-2016, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With a waterfall scene, the increased detail will not be in the water which will just be replaced by the first image, but in the rest of the landscape.

Since waterfall photos tend to be long-ish exposures, the question is how much additional detail you get in the rest of the image. The water looks like mayonnaise.
03-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #144
Pentaxian

If you start with the assumption that the shots we take are likely to be determined by the hardware capabilities, the ability to get nice falling water shots will be less interesting than the very sharp, subtle color gradients and deep dynamic range of a pixel shifted shot.

If you look at the 645 photo forums, what is striking is the beautiful colors. We have very subtle colors in the winter here; mauve and pinks, with the subtle light blue of the snow covered hills. It is very difficult to capture that subtlety with what I have, yet it is strikingly beautiful. I have tried with the K3 unsuccessfully, probably could do it justice with the 645Z. Maybe with the K1 I could capture what I see.
03-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #145

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I am not sure how often you would actually get better results hand held than with a tripod. If you have an arctic wind blowing, odds are that you will be more stable on a tripod than hand held, although to be sure, you probably should bump your iso somewhat as well.

I just have an issue with people universally dismissing PS as a "I'll try it a couple of times and never use it again," feature, when the results I have seen are pretty impressive.
To be sure, I'm not shooting long exposures in those conditions anyway. The issue highlights more the meager gains from a tripod under specific circumstances. For the record I usually do lug a tripod around. It just doesn't always help that much.

And yes, I also do look forward to PS and its potential rewards as I tend to do extensive work on post anyway and use a tripod, weather allowing.
03-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #146
Pentaxian

I'm looking forward to try PS in nature/still fotos. Let us see. I have done couple HDR shots and those I like to do with computer more than with camera, so for me HDR is just extra, does not bother me thou. Nice to have it, IF I wan't to use it.
03-03-2016, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #147
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I saw another
. This is in Japanese so I can't make out much. But the pictures he is showing are very detailed and sharp. Also, he answers all questions about Lens compatibility but in Japanese.

Last edited by boraclicks; 03-03-2016 at 10:21 AM.
03-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #148
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fromunderthebridge Quote
Unfortunately on some of these same situations dragging such a tripod with is highly impractical.
Reminds me of a mountain backpack trip I was on several years ago. A couple of days travel from the road end we came across a pair of travelers taking some photos using an 8x10" view camera mounted on an industrial strength tripod. We chatted for a bit and I mentioned the weight and bulk of setup. The guy at the camera indicated that the results were absolutely worth it and the other guy mumbled that he was carrying all the camping gear and food

Steve
03-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #149
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Not using a tripod is simply a crap shoot.
Well said. I have a fairly steady hand, but the tripod provides insurance for many shots and is essential for some subjects and techniques.

Steve
03-03-2016, 12:10 PM - 2 Likes   #150
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I am not sure how often you would actually get better results hand held than with a tripod.
I will play the devil's advocate here and say that there are some times where getting the composition requires working hand held. The tripod sort of quenches spontaneity and vision at times.

Steve