Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2016, 03:52 AM   #31
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Posts: 1,484
QuoteOriginally posted by Lightograph Quote
It would have been nice had a taken couple of shots at 12800 ISO.
not getting them from anywhere yet, which is frustrating considering the claimed higher ISO capability is one of the features that distinguish it from the D810

03-03-2016, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,951
To me, these photos show the down side of full frame. That is to say, shallow depth of field can be your friend in some situations and enemy in a lot more. Feels like a lot of these photos would have benefited from being stopped down more.
03-03-2016, 04:18 AM   #33
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 20
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
To me, these photos show the down side of full frame. That is to say, shallow depth of field can be your friend in some situations and enemy in a lot more. Feels like a lot of these photos would have benefited from being stopped down more.


If you just get rid of the habit of shooting wide open all the time (like I do too often) I think it will turn into an up side. Most lenses are sharper stopped down a bit, right?
03-03-2016, 04:24 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,951
QuoteOriginally posted by Herr Ur Quote
If you just get rid of the habit of shooting wide open all the time (like I do too often) I think it will turn into an up side. Most lenses are sharper stopped down a bit, right?
I don't shoot wide open very much -- mostly shoot f4 on APS-C. I just see a lot of photos where folks have too little depth of field and half the image is a blurry mess. It works fine for portraits, but for a lot of other things, it is nice if most of the stuff in the image is in focus.

03-03-2016, 04:33 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,414
QuoteOriginally posted by Herr Ur Quote
If you just get rid of the habit of shooting wide open all the time (like I do too often) I think it will turn into an up side. Most lenses are sharper stopped down a bit, right?
Yes. Most of your older glass was designed to have peak performance at F/5.6 - F/11. F/8 is often the sweet spot. With ASP-C though you want lenses that perform better at wider apertures.
03-03-2016, 04:35 AM   #36
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,240
Why all the fuss, is it likely that Ricoh would introduce a camera with a design fault so that it that took unsharp photos?
03-03-2016, 04:37 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 7,703
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
How's it DPR's fault if people vote against the truth?

If I put a poll up here in PF asking what the solution to '2 + 2' was, and half the answers would be '3', would that reflect on PF or rather on certain users?
You wouldn't get that proportion here, FMF.

There's something about that site that begets its kind of members. Maybe it's the poor staff articles, or the lowbrow discussions without irony.

And yes, there are of course PF members who are DPR members - it's the biggest show in town, for better or for worse. ☺
03-03-2016, 04:53 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 2,951
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
In the poll at the bottom of the page, 535 want it, 16 claim to own it already, and 14 say they used to own it!


DPR is just a crock of sh...
Donald, get out of this body

03-03-2016, 05:48 AM   #39
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,779
Pixel Shift Resolution demo:

03-03-2016, 05:53 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,815
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
To me, these photos show the down side of full frame. That is to say, shallow depth of field can be your friend in some situations and enemy in a lot more. Feels like a lot of these photos would have benefited from being stopped down more.
Official old timer here, The shallow depth of field is easily controllable by adjusting the f-stop. And as that is how I have always worked, not an issue. What I do not like about the current lenses is the lack of a aperture ring. The lack of a simple dedicated DOF preview button on any modern Pentax cameras is annoying to me too.

I think that the modern cameras are simply way to complex. The perfect DLSR for me would have lenses with aperture rings, a dial to adjust shutter speed and a depth of field preview button so I can easily see results and a simple needle moving up and down to let me know when the exposure is right. Just press the DOF button and spin the aperture and focus rings to get the shot you want. All without having to take you eye away from the viewfinder. Spot and averageing meters too. I don't need 15 user modes etc. etc. etc.

If it had a PHD (push here dummy) mode that would be okay too, but these are not snapshot cameras. These are tools that should require a bit a thought as to what you are trying to accomplish with the image you are making.

I do plan on getting a full frame camera becasue of the shallow depth of field and the better viewfinder. I will probably have to get a different focus screen. If one from one of my SLR's with a micro prism focus aid fit it would be awesome. A 45 degree angle split screen in the middle would be nice too.

Even with my auto focus lenses I find myself using manual forcus for a high percentage of my shots. And in cold weather lenses like my Sigma 17-70mm lens simply won't auto focus at all once it gets to 20F or so. Almost all of my winter shots are manual focus.
03-03-2016, 07:29 AM   #41
mee
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,253
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
How's it DPR's fault if people vote against the truth?

If I put a poll up here in PF asking what the solution to '2 + 2' was, and half the answers would be '3', would that reflect on PF or rather on certain users?
There is a difference between DPR and PF..

DPReview is a review site with a set of forums
PForums is a set of forums with reviews

So, the userbase is more of what PF is versus the nutty userbase over at DPR.

The more perplexing question, I find, Is the userbase at DPR nutty because of the nutty official reviews and articles or do they happen to also be as nutty as DPR and are just peas in a pod (likeness attracting likeness) ?? That is, is the nuttyness due to influence or to likemindedness ?
03-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #42
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,883
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Pixel Shift Resolution demo:

https://youtu.be/YyexKqv1idk
The processing part seems pretty quick.
03-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #43
Site Supporter
robbiec's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cork, Ireland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,206
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Well: FA*28-70 = 800gm DFA 24-70 = 787gm

Not really any direct comparison for the 150-450 but the 250-600 is 5400gm
But the FA* has the wonderful Tie Fighter like power zoom noise
03-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #44
Veteran Member
RuiC's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lisboa - The Grocery
Posts: 610
QuoteOriginally posted by Lightograph Quote
It looks like he covered a lot of critical features of K1 given the limited time but for High ISO performance. It would have been nice had a taken couple of shots at 12800 ISO.
Maybe it is an early firmware to ask for high ISO and other issues!

---------- Post added 03-03-16 at 08:13 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Could say shake reduction would eliminate a lot of movement, you would hope.
As per other comments here, maybe it's a focus issue not a SR case !! He seems to be using a manual focus lens and short in time to get it critically well focused. I would concentrate on other items besides focus if reviewing in such conditions!
03-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,951
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Official old timer here, The shallow depth of field is easily controllable by adjusting the f-stop. And as that is how I have always worked, not an issue. What I do not like about the current lenses is the lack of a aperture ring. The lack of a simple dedicated DOF preview button on any modern Pentax cameras is annoying to me too.

I think that the modern cameras are simply way to complex. The perfect DLSR for me would have lenses with aperture rings, a dial to adjust shutter speed and a depth of field preview button so I can easily see results and a simple needle moving up and down to let me know when the exposure is right. Just press the DOF button and spin the aperture and focus rings to get the shot you want. All without having to take you eye away from the viewfinder. Spot and averageing meters too. I don't need 15 user modes etc. etc. etc.

If it had a PHD (push here dummy) mode that would be okay too, but these are not snapshot cameras. These are tools that should require a bit a thought as to what you are trying to accomplish with the image you are making.

I do plan on getting a full frame camera becasue of the shallow depth of field and the better viewfinder. I will probably have to get a different focus screen. If one from one of my SLR's with a micro prism focus aid fit it would be awesome. A 45 degree angle split screen in the middle would be nice too.

Even with my auto focus lenses I find myself using manual forcus for a high percentage of my shots. And in cold weather lenses like my Sigma 17-70mm lens simply won't auto focus at all once it gets to 20F or so. Almost all of my winter shots are manual focus.
I don't disagree that full frame cameras give you more options with regard to depth of field/aperture than APS-C, but my experience on the forum tells me that there will be plenty of folks who move to a K-1 and suddenly all of their lenses seem soft because there is just less in focus. I will probably set my aperture at f5.6 for the most part and enjoy shooting with it that way.

As to cameras being too complex, I think they are fine. I find it very simple to change apertures with current cameras -- a lot easier than with older cameras. I have always thought that if you don't want user modes or things like that, then you just don't use them.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cp, focus, function, iso, k-1, lot, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pixel, resolution, review, shift, time, yokohama
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Final Countdown to Feb 25th 2016 (CP+ 2016) starjedi Pentax News and Rumors 1654 05-23-2016 05:15 PM
Pentax Full Frame and K-S2 images from CP+ Yokohama Vizke Pentax DSLR Discussion 35 02-13-2015 12:52 PM
K-01 featured in DP Review's "Ten one-of-a-kind cameras from the 21st Century" Quazimoto Pentax K-01 7 09-03-2013 12:37 PM
DP Review's review of the K-r is up.... ccd333 Pentax K-r 67 03-20-2011 09:41 AM
k200d dp review ... tips for jpeg shooting dcmsox2004 Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 09-10-2008 12:05 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:56 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top