Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2016, 02:44 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Being targeted primarily at Pentaxians, and being made only for Pentaxians are two different things. Ricoh stated the former, but of course they're happy to get new users or returnees.
And it's actually true for about every new camera, otherwise we'd see en-masse migration between systems each time

03-05-2016, 04:21 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
en-masse migration between systems each time
Isn't that something of a fad on YouTube? Not always for photography, admittedly, but searching "Why I'm switching to..." isn't exactly devoid of results. I'm sure in many cases it's in response to a genuine need that their current widget doesn't fulfil, but I can't help thinking that some people switch systems (of whatever kind, not just cameras) because someone they follow on YouTube does it. Or sometimes just because.
03-05-2016, 04:43 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Being targeted primarily at Pentaxians, and being made only for Pentaxians are two different things. Ricoh stated the former, but of course they're happy to get new users or returnees.
And it's actually true for about every new camera, otherwise we'd see en-masse migration between systems each time
There are always dissatisfied people who will switch in to a new system. They probably were with Nikon for awhile, but got frustrated at the D600 oil stains and then they went to Sony, but are unhappy because of battery life issues or ergonomics and now they are ready to try something else.

The problem with those sorts of folks is that they aren't likely to be satisfied long term with Pentax either. We have all seen them blow through the forum. Their first post is about how awful 'x' brand was and how glad they are to be with Pentax now. Within a few weeks, they frustrated with the flash sync speed and auto focus and metering on Pentax cameras and in another month, their gear is up for sale on the Marketplace and they are headed for Canon.
03-05-2016, 04:49 AM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The problem with those sorts of folks is that they aren't likely to be satisfied long term with Pentax either. We have all seen them blow through the forum. Their first post is about how awful 'x' brand was and how glad they are to be with Pentax now. Within a few weeks, they frustrated with the flash sync speed and auto focus and metering on Pentax cameras and in another month, their gear is up for sale on the Marketplace and they are headed for Canon.
Every time somebody raises points of this sort I nod sagely and say to myself "those folks will never be happy until they realise that it's vision that matters, not gear."

And then I go back to craving a K-1

03-05-2016, 05:01 AM   #95
Pentaxian

There are always dissatisfied people who will switch in to a new system. They probably were with Nikon for awhile, but got frustrated at the D600 oil stains and then they went to Sony, but are unhappy because of battery life issues or ergonomics and now they are ready to try something else.

These are the true gear acquisition addicts. At least those of us who stay within Pentax and trawl the marketplace and ebay endlessly looking for bargains are building a complete system with widespread inter-compatibility; the people who forever flit between different and completely incompatible systems have a different problem.
03-05-2016, 06:05 AM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Every time somebody raises points of this sort I nod sagely and say to myself "those folks will never be happy until they realise that it's vision that matters, not gear."

And then I go back to craving a K-1
Yes! I'm into the experience of allowing the scene to tell me it's magic, to take time to savor the experience. To intimately know my equipment, value its capabilities and limitations until it becomes an extension of my eyes, hands and artistic vision.

Here is my credit card.
03-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Something about the DPR coverage in general (though not in this article) of the K-1 that I don't like is the repeated statement that it is really only for existing Pentax users and won't tempt people away from other systems. I know Ricoh themselves have stated as much but it's obviously untrue - a company which doesn't want to expand it's user base? Come on. It's something which has punctuated Pentax reviews on DPR for many years, long before the K-1 came along, and has always seemed at odds with the generally good impressions of the gear. Many Pentax reviews or articles state how nice a product is but then comes the unjustified disclaimer "but of course it won't make people switch systems". This re-inforces the impression that DPR is in the pocket of the big two, an impression that I think has diminished over the last couple of years due to their interest in mirrorless formats and their recognition that they are the future, but in the case of Pentax this attitude persists.
Well put.

But with the K-1, I begin to discern a slight change in that attitude.

Well, DPR's full review is yet to come out.

We shall see whether they persist in recommending Pentax gear only for existing Pentax users.

That's the true "acid test".

Here's hoping that the K-1 ushers in a new attitude towards Pentax over at DPR.

Last edited by KDAFA; 03-05-2016 at 06:58 AM.
03-05-2016, 07:42 AM   #98
Pentaxian

No, it's just one but he keeps changing systems

Good point, these people who just can't make up their minds are perhaps the worst kind of customers to get. I'm including here those who thinks about price and nothing else, though those most likely won't even buy something (just complain that prices are oh so expensive).
Market share-grabbing strategies would be IMO targeted at such people, but with a volatile result.

However, in my previous post I was talking about reasonable people who might get into/jump to Pentax and stay (for a while), because they found an advantage in doing so. And about the returnees, people who know Pentax but had to leave (typically because there was no FF available).
With us and them, Ricoh can have a stable user base.
03-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
With the K-3, you can assign optical DOF preview to the RAW/Fx button ... No doubt the K-1 will inherit this capability. Even with the K-x you could also assign optical DOF to the Green button.

On cameras like the K-3 or K-5, however, I've found that turning the main On/Off/Preview switch to the existing optical preview position is so easy that using a separate button for the function does not provide any usability advantage.
Why doesn't everyone just do this? In my experience this has worked for me since K10D.
03-09-2016, 07:28 AM   #100
Veteran Member

No, it's just one but he keeps changing systems
He is a professional photographer after all and he is entitled to change system more often than the rest of us.
- Say cheeze! Oh no, a professional photographer can't say such a thing. It sound like amateurish.
- Say Yes! Now it's much better.

Joking aside, K-1 did started some interesting discussions in Canon/Nikon boat. "A very good price for a lot of features", this was the most common phrase I heard lately about K-1. And the unexpected (for some) selections of new lenses (15-30mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm) was another topic debated with some enthusiasm. I mean, Sony started in the wrong way, they produced a lot of full frame mirrorless camera, but until recently they forgot to come up with the trinity of lenses that photographers awaited. Pentax has not made the same mistake.

So...I think we will see a lot more interest in Canon/Nikon's boat for the Pentax full frame if the K-1 reviews will be as good as the initial impressions that we read about on the internet.
03-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #101
Pentaxian

Just for the record, I wasn't talking about anyone in particular. This time

Indeed, the K-1 got a lot of attention. Perhaps I should reserve mine, or else I risk having to wait the second (third, fourth...) batch of shipments...
03-10-2016, 01:51 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Joking aside, K-1 did started some interesting discussions in Canon/Nikon boat. "A very good price for a lot of features", this was the most common phrase I heard lately about K-1. And the unexpected (for some) selections of new lenses (15-30mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm) was another topic debated with some enthusiasm. I mean, Sony started in the wrong way, they produced a lot of full frame mirrorless camera, but until recently they forgot to come up with the trinity of lenses that photographers awaited. Pentax has not made the same mistake.

So...I think we will see a lot more interest in Canon/Nikon's boat for the Pentax full frame if the K-1 reviews will be as good as the initial impressions that we read about on the internet.
This is getting serious - reviewers have been trotting out the same reasons for objecting to Pentax for so long (OK not totally unjustified, but a bit knee-jerk) - surely they're not going to have to find new ones?