Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2016, 03:52 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lightograph Quote
It would have been nice had a taken couple of shots at 12800 ISO.
not getting them from anywhere yet, which is frustrating considering the claimed higher ISO capability is one of the features that distinguish it from the D810

03-03-2016, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To me, these photos show the down side of full frame. That is to say, shallow depth of field can be your friend in some situations and enemy in a lot more. Feels like a lot of these photos would have benefited from being stopped down more.
03-03-2016, 04:18 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
To me, these photos show the down side of full frame. That is to say, shallow depth of field can be your friend in some situations and enemy in a lot more. Feels like a lot of these photos would have benefited from being stopped down more.

If you just get rid of the habit of shooting wide open all the time (like I do too often) I think it will turn into an up side. Most lenses are sharper stopped down a bit, right?
03-03-2016, 04:24 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Herr Ur Quote
If you just get rid of the habit of shooting wide open all the time (like I do too often) I think it will turn into an up side. Most lenses are sharper stopped down a bit, right?
I don't shoot wide open very much -- mostly shoot f4 on APS-C. I just see a lot of photos where folks have too little depth of field and half the image is a blurry mess. It works fine for portraits, but for a lot of other things, it is nice if most of the stuff in the image is in focus.

03-03-2016, 04:33 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Herr Ur Quote
Yes. Most of your older glass was designed to have peak performance at F/5.6 - F/11. F/8 is often the sweet spot. With ASP-C though you want lenses that perform better at wider apertures.
03-03-2016, 04:35 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why all the fuss, is it likely that Ricoh would introduce a camera with a design fault so that it that took unsharp photos?
03-03-2016, 04:37 AM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
How's it DPR's fault if people vote against the truth?

If I put a poll up here in PF asking what the solution to '2 + 2' was, and half the answers would be '3', would that reflect on PF or rather on certain users?
You wouldn't get that proportion here, FMF.

There's something about that site that begets its kind of members. Maybe it's the poor staff articles, or the lowbrow discussions without irony.

And yes, there are of course PF members who are DPR members - it's the biggest show in town, for better or for worse. ☺

03-03-2016, 04:53 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
In the poll at the bottom of the page, 535 want it, 16 claim to own it already, and 14 say they used to own it!

DPR is just a crock of sh...
Donald, get out of this body
03-03-2016, 05:48 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Pixel Shift Resolution demo:

03-03-2016, 05:53 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Official old timer here, The shallow depth of field is easily controllable by adjusting the f-stop. And as that is how I have always worked, not an issue. What I do not like about the current lenses is the lack of a aperture ring. The lack of a simple dedicated DOF preview button on any modern Pentax cameras is annoying to me too.

I think that the modern cameras are simply way to complex. The perfect DLSR for me would have lenses with aperture rings, a dial to adjust shutter speed and a depth of field preview button so I can easily see results and a simple needle moving up and down to let me know when the exposure is right. Just press the DOF button and spin the aperture and focus rings to get the shot you want. All without having to take you eye away from the viewfinder. Spot and averageing meters too. I don't need 15 user modes etc. etc. etc.

If it had a PHD (push here dummy) mode that would be okay too, but these are not snapshot cameras. These are tools that should require a bit a thought as to what you are trying to accomplish with the image you are making.

I do plan on getting a full frame camera becasue of the shallow depth of field and the better viewfinder. I will probably have to get a different focus screen. If one from one of my SLR's with a micro prism focus aid fit it would be awesome. A 45 degree angle split screen in the middle would be nice too.

Even with my auto focus lenses I find myself using manual forcus for a high percentage of my shots. And in cold weather lenses like my Sigma 17-70mm lens simply won't auto focus at all once it gets to 20F or so. Almost all of my winter shots are manual focus.
03-03-2016, 07:29 AM   #41
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
How's it DPR's fault if people vote against the truth?

If I put a poll up here in PF asking what the solution to '2 + 2' was, and half the answers would be '3', would that reflect on PF or rather on certain users?
There is a difference between DPR and PF..

DPReview is a review site with a set of forums
PForums is a set of forums with reviews

So, the userbase is more of what PF is versus the nutty userbase over at DPR.

The more perplexing question, I find, Is the userbase at DPR nutty because of the nutty official reviews and articles or do they happen to also be as nutty as DPR and are just peas in a pod (likeness attracting likeness) ?? That is, is the nuttyness due to influence or to likemindedness ?
03-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Pixel Shift Resolution demo:

https://youtu.be/YyexKqv1idk
The processing part seems pretty quick.
03-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Well: FA*28-70 = 800gm DFA 24-70 = 787gm

Not really any direct comparison for the 150-450 but the 250-600 is 5400gm
But the FA* has the wonderful Tie Fighter like power zoom noise
03-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lightograph Quote
It looks like he covered a lot of critical features of K1 given the limited time but for High ISO performance. It would have been nice had a taken couple of shots at 12800 ISO.
Maybe it is an early firmware to ask for high ISO and other issues!

---------- Post added 03-03-16 at 08:13 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Could say shake reduction would eliminate a lot of movement, you would hope.
As per other comments here, maybe it's a focus issue not a SR case !! He seems to be using a manual focus lens and short in time to get it critically well focused. I would concentrate on other items besides focus if reviewing in such conditions!
03-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Official old timer here, The shallow depth of field is easily controllable by adjusting the f-stop. And as that is how I have always worked, not an issue. What I do not like about the current lenses is the lack of a aperture ring. The lack of a simple dedicated DOF preview button on any modern Pentax cameras is annoying to me too.

I think that the modern cameras are simply way to complex. The perfect DLSR for me would have lenses with aperture rings, a dial to adjust shutter speed and a depth of field preview button so I can easily see results and a simple needle moving up and down to let me know when the exposure is right. Just press the DOF button and spin the aperture and focus rings to get the shot you want. All without having to take you eye away from the viewfinder. Spot and averageing meters too. I don't need 15 user modes etc. etc. etc.

If it had a PHD (push here dummy) mode that would be okay too, but these are not snapshot cameras. These are tools that should require a bit a thought as to what you are trying to accomplish with the image you are making.

I do plan on getting a full frame camera becasue of the shallow depth of field and the better viewfinder. I will probably have to get a different focus screen. If one from one of my SLR's with a micro prism focus aid fit it would be awesome. A 45 degree angle split screen in the middle would be nice too.

Even with my auto focus lenses I find myself using manual forcus for a high percentage of my shots. And in cold weather lenses like my Sigma 17-70mm lens simply won't auto focus at all once it gets to 20F or so. Almost all of my winter shots are manual focus.
I don't disagree that full frame cameras give you more options with regard to depth of field/aperture than APS-C, but my experience on the forum tells me that there will be plenty of folks who move to a K-1 and suddenly all of their lenses seem soft because there is just less in focus. I will probably set my aperture at f5.6 for the most part and enjoy shooting with it that way.

As to cameras being too complex, I think they are fine. I find it very simple to change apertures with current cameras -- a lot easier than with older cameras. I have always thought that if you don't want user modes or things like that, then you just don't use them.