Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
??? There was no shortage of fast glass in the Pentax lineup until the DA series.

Steve
Hey, I've never complained. It's others who have. I recall that some people thought the FA 35mm f2.0 was not only late to the game, but should have been an f1.4. And the last 50mm f1.2 was the SMC-A.

03-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't disagree that full frame cameras give you more options with regard to depth of field/aperture than APS-C, but my experience on the forum tells me that there will be plenty of folks who move to a K-1 and suddenly all of their lenses seem soft because there is just less in focus. I will probably set my aperture at f5.6 for the most part and enjoy shooting with it that way.

As to cameras being too complex, I think they are fine. I find it very simple to change apertures with current cameras -- a lot easier than with older cameras. I have always thought that if you don't want user modes or things like that, then you just don't use them.
Affirming f/5.6. I was taught quick 'n dirty system at High School newspaper (Spotmatic / ST55) to just stay at f/5.6 and 10 feet away from my subject. I was never assigned to shoot more than 1 or 2 people. You get about 3' of in-focus area; focus on the ear, not the nose, etc.

Pretty boring but it worked for what I was assigned. I suppose that's f/4 in APS?

Last edited by monochrome; 03-03-2016 at 09:31 AM.
03-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yes I think some of us suggested he use an m 50 f/1.7 over the f/2 dud they were originally using...
I am sick and tired of the constant unwarranted criticism that the M series 50mm f2 lens is getting here. This lens is not a "dud". It is recommended by 94% of reviewers on this very forum. It's true that it is not as sharp as the 1.7 wide open but that doesn't make it a "dud". What BS! Give DPreview a break and and stop slagging your own brand to make a specious point..
03-03-2016, 11:55 AM - 10 Likes   #49

Hello all, thanks for taking the time to read through my writeup over at DPR!

Just wanted to weigh in on the sharpness of the samples - as I stated in the article, the maximum size I was allowed to post was VGA resolution (640px longest side). My first export was from Adobe Camera Raw at that resolution, but then at the suggestion of a couple of readers, I went through and exported full-size JPEGs from ACR, and then did bicubic downsampling (sharper) on those in Photoshop to get down to the 640px resolution, and re-uploaded those. Maybe they'll look better now.

Make sure you click through each image - our site does down-sample images a bit more to get them into the image table.

And my apologies again for the fact that only VGA samples were allowed. I'm still waiting to hear back from Ricoh on that.

Last note - I can assure you, the full-size images are quite sharp. Even on 36MP, and even on the older lenses. Keeping my shutter speed at 1/125 or higher most of the time probably helped with the number of "keepers," and I had much better results with the K-1 than I had with a D800 I used at a previous gig. I guess they're probably not all as sharp as they could possibly be, but dragging a tripod all over town didn't seem too appealing to me at the time.

Cheers, and hope this helps.

Carey

03-03-2016, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Carey Rose Quote

Carey
speaking purely for myself, thanks for taking the time to join the conversation - much appreciated
03-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #51
Pentaxian

+ 1000 thanks for these infos Carey !
03-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Just wanted to weigh in on the sharpness of the samples - as I stated in the article, the maximum size I was allowed to post was VGA resolution (640px longest side). My first export was from Adobe Camera Raw at that resolution, but then at the suggestion of a couple of readers, I went through and exported full-size JPEGs from ACR, and then did bicubic downsampling (sharper) on those in Photoshop to get down to the 640px resolution, and re-uploaded those. Maybe they'll look better now.
I don't have the before versions to look at, but in my opinion, these all look significant improved over the previous versions. Thanks a lot for re-uploading the photos, and for joining us here!

03-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #53
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Make sure you click through each image - our site does down-sample images a bit more to get them into the image table.

And my apologies again for the fact that only VGA samples were allowed. I'm still waiting to hear back from Ricoh on that.

Last note - I can assure you, the full-size images are quite sharp. Even on 36MP, and even on the older lenses. Keeping my shutter speed at 1/125 or higher most of the time probably helped with the number of "keepers," and I had much better results with the K-1 than I had with a D800 I used at a previous gig. I guess they're probably not all as sharp as they could possibly be, but dragging a tripod all over town didn't seem too appealing to me at the time.

Carey
Carey

Thanks again for posting and clarifying. Really appreciate it. Thanks!
03-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Hello and welcome,
I enjoyed reading your article, with its causal style. Sure, you didn't had much experience with Pentax, used manual lenses, weren't allowed to upload high resolution samples etc. - and so what? Not every writing have to be a technical review

A quick question, regarding the Pixel Shift Resolution video - do you remember if the Motion Compensation function was enabled?
The camera seemed quite fast in processing the images.
03-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Hello all, thanks for taking the time to read through my writeup over at DPR! ...

Carey
Hey Carey, you lighted up my thursday evening
Really enjoyed your review and made me even more excited to get my hands on this one.
I loved your emotional review or preview? And the fact that you actually used the old primes that shone in these days which are also waiting on my shelf.
(I am so excited to see the performance of these old K-mount pearls on a digital stabilized camera )
Thanks again man!
03-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
The M stands for "miniature." SMC-M = Super Multi-Coated - Miniature. This is from the 1970's, when a big Pentax design thrust was compact form following the somewhat larger K-series lenses. That DNA persists somewhat in the continued penchant Pentax has for smallness. All of the Limiteds except the zoom accept 49mm filters, for example. It is a trade-off with speed, of course, and many people still complain of few fast Pentax lenses. I think the heritage of compactness ends with K-1, however, and the new trinity of zooms.
The fa 31mm has a 49mm filter size?
03-03-2016, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A quick question, regarding the Pixel Shift Resolution video - do you remember if the Motion Compensation function was enabled?
The camera seemed quite fast in processing the images.
I actually believe the MC function was enabled for that one. If my jet-lagged memory serves, there were two options in the menu for the pixel shift resolution function - one with an "MC" that is brighter, and one with an "MC" that is dimmer. I used the brighter one, so I *think* it was on.

---------- Post added 03-03-16 at 04:42 PM ----------

And to everyone else - thank you much for the warm welcome! I'll try to keep checking back to see if you guys have any other questions, and as we do more testing in the future when we get a final K-1.
03-03-2016, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually believe the MC function was enabled for that one. If my jet-lagged memory serves, there were two options in the menu for the pixel shift resolution function - one with an "MC" that is brighter, and one with an "MC" that is dimmer. I used the brighter one, so I *think* it was on.
This is starting to get confusing, I'm going to have to carry a glossary with me. MC, HD, PS, SR, AE, AF, AA, SD, NR, Ch, Cl, EV.................
03-03-2016, 04:10 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
I am sick and tired of the constant unwarranted criticism that the M series 50mm f2 lens is getting here. This lens is not a "dud". It is recommended by 94% of reviewers on this very forum. It's true that it is not as sharp as the 1.7 wide open but that doesn't make it a "dud". What BS! Give DPreview a break and and stop slagging your own brand to make a specious point..
Ironic that my picture of that lens is currently the image associated with this thread. For various reasons, including the added awkwardness of using an "M" lens instead of an "A" lens, I have used my A 50 f/1.7 instead of my M 50 f/2. I guess I need to actually use both some time so I can honestly compare those two.
03-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
This lens is not a "dud". It is recommended by 94% of reviewers on this very forum.
Go to the lens database and find me a single lens that has less than 80% recommendations. This is a great forum with a lot of smart and talented members, but the user reviews are certainly not the most objective ones. Based on them every single thing that Pentax has ever made is absolutely amazing, and we both know that's not true.