Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2016, 11:56 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
It doesn't on the k5, so I would be VERY surprised if it did on the K-1.
Actually it does. But not on the k3.

03-07-2016, 12:22 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Re: 1:1 crop mode - sorry to rain on everybody's parade but:

2016 CP+ Pentax Interview - CP+ 2016 | PentaxForums.com
Originally, there was also the 4:3 crop mode announced. I think I didn't see that one in the menu; and the representative was very eager to demo the 1:1 crop mode.

So here's my theory: the 4:3 crop mode was removed, and the cp+ interviewee remembered that; and forgot about the included 1:1 crop mode. And thats why he said its not available.
03-07-2016, 12:43 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Actually it does. But not on the k3.
No it doesn't.

And It is easily checked.
Turn on LV, look through the viewfinder (it will be black since the mirror is up) take the picture and the viewfinder will stay black the hole time, that means that the mirror didn’t move. Had it flipped you would have seen it.
03-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Does the K-1's mirror move when taking photos in live view mode?
I'm also interested in hearing the answer from someone who has tried LV on the K-1.

03-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I'm also interested in hearing the answer from someone who has tried LV on the K-1.
If it does move, it does so very quickly and very silently. I didn't try without lens though.
AFAIK this is electronic shutter
03-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
If it does move, it does so very quickly and very silently. I didn't try without lens though.
AFAIK this is electronic shutter
Wow! Ok. I think I'm going to be poor this year.
03-11-2016, 02:28 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh forgot something important, guys. Of course I can only comfirm this for Belgium but still :

When you order K-1 until (I think) end of march in selected resellers (not e.g. PCH but this comes as no surprise) you will get a voucher of 125€ you can apply to a lens (any lens).

There will be NO kit for now. No kit at all from Ricoh. Of course resellers may do whatever they like though. Again this is for Belgium.

As for Brussels, at least Campion and FotoGuy will "play" the voucher game. PCH won't.
I Don't remember they other names.
For this you NEED to preorder, and quickly.

Last edited by thibs; 03-11-2016 at 02:32 AM. Reason: 125€ Voucher
03-11-2016, 04:45 AM   #38

what do you mean by 1:1 crop mode? I tried the K1 in Brussels on the 5th and the camera with an APS-C type lens on it (tried my own 16-50 mm) would have Three modes :
If I was with the FF , there would be a large black fringe on the picture. Funny but ultimately a gag.
If i was in FF mode and camera was told there was an APS-C lens on it, the camera would put up a thick black line on the image, through the VF? can't remember, indicating what as not going to be taken into account when the camera would take a picture (very useful when you're following something around)
if the camera was in APS-C mode out would not even register or show anything else but the APS-C image. active cropping of some sort.

A.

---------- Post added 03-11-16 at 11:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Oh forgot something important, guys. Of course I can only comfirm this for Belgium but still :

When you order K-1 until (I think) end of march in selected resellers (not e.g. PCH but this comes as no surprise) you will get a voucher of 125€ you can apply to a lens (any lens).

There will be NO kit for now. No kit at all from Ricoh. Of course resellers may do whatever they like though. Again this is for Belgium.

As for Brussels, at least Campion and FotoGuy will "play" the voucher game. PCH won't.
I Don't remember they other names.
For this you NEED to preorder, and quickly.
so campion finally accepted the RICOH deal from pentax france?? where he was supposed to expose the whole stock from pentax and maintain another stock of equipment under the counter, AND be able to lend stuff to other shops when the pentax commercial rep said so?

hard deal?

Oh yeah ,and for those of us who where in Belgium and wanted to buy just one of their last lenses (for me it was the 150x450), the commercial rep. wouldn't sell the shop just one piece. the shops here had to buy more than just one (the whole range in fact). That commercial rep from france basically killed the market in belgium over 6 months ...

A.
03-11-2016, 06:49 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marmaduke Quote
what do you mean by 1:1 crop mode? I tried the K1 in Brussels on the 5th and the camera with an APS-C type lens on it (tried my own 16-50 mm) would have Three modes :
If I was with the FF , there would be a large black fringe on the picture. Funny but ultimately a gag.
If i was in FF mode and camera was told there was an APS-C lens on it, the camera would put up a thick black line on the image, through the VF? can't remember, indicating what as not going to be taken into account when the camera would take a picture (very useful when you're following something around)
if the camera was in APS-C mode out would not even register or show anything else but the APS-C image. active cropping of some sort.
When using the menu (and ONLY the menu, not the new knob), it was possible to set the camera on 1:1 (square) as you see on the LiveView photo I posted.

QuoteOriginally posted by marmaduke Quote
so campion finally accepted the RICOH deal from pentax france?? where he was supposed to expose the whole stock from pentax and maintain another stock of equipment under the counter, AND be able to lend stuff to other shops when the pentax commercial rep said so?

hard deal?

Oh yeah ,and for those of us who where in Belgium and wanted to buy just one of their last lenses (for me it was the 150x450), the commercial rep. wouldn't sell the shop just one piece. the shops here had to buy more than just one (the whole range in fact). That commercial rep from france basically killed the market in belgium over 6 months ...

A.
I dunno the details of the deal (of course) but what you describe looks a lot like what De Beukelaer were doing in Hoya times.
03-11-2016, 09:11 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Maybe I am not understanding fully, but why (apparently) would Ricoh limit (or not include) common crop settings (1:1, 4:3) especially since it seems people are interested in having them... and they do have a whole dedicated spot on the dial. Without checking, I am 99.9% certain I can do this even on my Q/Q7.

It's not so important to me personally but It just seems like an odd thing for them to draw a line in the sand on.
03-12-2016, 06:07 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
Maybe I am not understanding fully, but why (apparently) would Ricoh limit (or not include) common crop settings (1:1, 4:3) especially since it seems people are interested in having them... and they do have a whole dedicated spot on the dial. Without checking, I am 99.9% certain I can do this even on my Q/Q7.

It's not so important to me personally but It just seems like an odd thing for them to draw a line in the sand on.
Isn't it the APSC crop mode, raw included rather the JPEG we speak here? The idea being that if the lens cover APSC, it cover 1:1 aspect ration in FF mode but may not cover 3:2 ?
03-12-2016, 06:25 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote

The apsc crop mode changes the operation of the body; the viewfinder, maybe the af, the framerate by changing something in the sensor readout or discarding data early in the data pipeline. It becomes an apsc, and by a setting change becomes a full frame.

The 1:1 or other crops didn't seem to be anything except a post crop. I suspect that having full operation support of a specfic crop ratio fell by the wayside for any of a number of reasons;

Not quite done yet,
Not able to implement adequately by modifying the data stream,
It isn't an important enough feature to expend the resources to do it right. Maybe they had it working partly early on and found none of the testers actually shot a photo using that mode. Neat idea, but not relevant.

Who knows, maybe it is one of a list of things to show up in a firmware update. Maybe not.
03-16-2016, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
No it doesn't.

And It is easily checked.
Turn on LV, look through the viewfinder (it will be black since the mirror is up) take the picture and the viewfinder will stay black the hole time, that means that the mirror didn’t move. Had it flipped you would have seen it.
One should probably ask the question more precisely.

There is a chance the mirror flips when doing a LV shot.

Then there is (extensive) shutter operation. Without an electronic first curtain (which the K-1 does no thave), the shutter first has to close and reopen after the shot is done. That's three rather than 1 shutter operation, 4 curtains opening and 4 curtains rewinding.

So even with no mirror flip, LV with a DSLR normally sounds and feels clumsy. Most cameras lack the mechanics to just rewind the first curtain. And most sensors do still not support electronic first curtain. And even if they do, many cameras (like the D810) disable it in normal shooting operation like no MUP (MLU). So even in LV, a D810 wouldn't behave smarter than a K-1. Except if used with some delay mode. But the discussion was about making LV feel less clumsy which the D810 doesn't too.

IMHO, the LV implementations in DSLRs has to improve considerably:
  • competitive AF
  • EFCS used in LV whenever possible (there is a constraint with very fast exposure times)
  • Blackout time minimization
  • Vendor option for a mountable EVF (just like they offer a grip).
There really is no reason why DSLR shouldn't incorporate all advantages (except size and lens adaption) of mirrorless.
03-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
One should probably ask the question more precisely.

There is a chance the mirror flips when doing a LV shot.

Then there is (extensive) shutter operation. Without an electronic first curtain (which the K-1 does no thave), the shutter first has to close and reopen after the shot is done. That's three rather than 1 shutter operation, 4 curtains opening and 4 curtains rewinding.

So even with no mirror flip, LV with a DSLR normally sounds and feels clumsy. Most cameras lack the mechanics to just rewind the first curtain. And most sensors do still not support electronic first curtain. And even if they do, many cameras (like the D810) disable it in normal shooting operation like no MUP (MLU). So even in LV, a D810 wouldn't behave smarter than a K-1. Except if used with some delay mode. But the discussion was about making LV feel less clumsy which the D810 doesn't too.

IMHO, the LV implementations in DSLRs has to improve considerably:
  • competitive AF
  • EFCS used in LV whenever possible (there is a constraint with very fast exposure times)
  • Blackout time minimization
  • Vendor option for a mountable EVF (just like they offer a grip).
There really is no reason why DSLR shouldn't incorporate all advantages (except size and lens adaption) of mirrorless.
I'll correct my statement. The k5 doesn't flip the mirror. Both slide the shutter into place and expose normally. The k5 creates much more vibration than does the k3 in the process. The k5 shutter exposure in ovf mode has less vibration than the k3, but in live view has more vibration than the k3. Live view on the k3 is almost as good as mirror up, and I use it for long lens shots.

What is the mirror slap characteristics of the k1? I'm curious, I can feel the vibration in the k3 at lower shutter speeds, and it definitions affects how I shoot.