Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2016, 12:43 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
I may be wrong, but isn't sony E mount made like an open standard similarly like m4/3 mount is and it would be wiser, if not going with k mount, choose a mount that has large support for various lenses and accessories?
Sony E mount is "open" to lens manufacturers, so they can make E-mount lenses and adapters; not to camera manufacturers. It's nowhere near an open standard.
Inquiries and Applications for Disclosure of "E-mount" Basic Specifications
m4/3 itself is not an open standard, though it's used by several camera manufacturers.

03-09-2016, 02:18 AM   #32
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Or someone just makes his own cake based upon this older discussion........

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/268286-new-ff-consortium.html

All possible....
03-09-2016, 02:31 AM   #33
Pentaxian

I wonder if they could get together with Samsung again despite the divorce. It's not unheard of. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Besides, Samsung's mirrorless efforts were starting to look mighty attractive.
03-09-2016, 04:17 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mayby Ricoh will buy the NX system design team and production facility from Samsung? I would like a Pentax NX with the usual Pentax values (SR, DNG and functionality), including an adapter to K mount with focus motor in the adapter. This could be an easy way for Pentax to both get into mirrorless and improve their current weak points EVF and video.

03-09-2016, 04:37 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I doubt Samsung would be interested, and I suspect they milked the relationship with Hoya for all they could get before they walked away, but in that way they were alike, because Hoya treated the Pentax assets in a similar fashion. Ricoh, of course, has been a keen acquirer of other businesses, but Samsung has built their business in part by allying themselves to others so they learn enough to become a competitor. The two seem like chalk and cheese in their approach to business, let alone their product ranges. I think Ricoh will steer clear, if they know what's good for them, and I think they do.

Fujifilm should be a much better consortium partner for Ricoh.
03-09-2016, 05:23 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Fuji is currently working with Panasonic on sensor development. Fuji has the resources and the distribution to develop a line on its own and rumor is that Fuji is working on a medium format mirrorless. I don't see Fuji having a need to partner with Ricoh. What is Ricoh offering? Rebadged Tamron lenses? I don't see Ricoh bringing anything to the table that Fuji doesn't already have.
03-09-2016, 05:33 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh buys financially troubled brands. If they buy another camera company it would be someone like Oly.

03-09-2016, 05:44 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
What is Ricoh offering?
Money, long term vision, continuity? An SR system. If Fuji wants to take on Sony with a Full frame Mirrorless they need all the help they can get. Canonikon wil probably enter the full frame mirrorless arena within a year or two. Panasonic and Olympus will make a 43 large sensor system to compete (if Olympus survives at all).
03-09-2016, 05:52 AM   #39
Pentaxian

And why would Fuji collab with Ricoh? This doesn't make any sense.
03-09-2016, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Don't forget the Russians. Some people have very high ambitions for KMZ / Zenit and a lot of money to spend.
03-09-2016, 06:01 AM   #41

I think its interesting if the rumors were true. I bet it would be a medium format mirrorless camera though.
03-09-2016, 06:14 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Money, long term vision, continuity? An SR system. If Fuji wants to take on Sony with a Full frame Mirrorless they need all the help they can get. Canonikon wil probably enter the full frame mirrorless arena within a year or two. Panasonic and Olympus will make a 43 large sensor system to compete (if Olympus survives at all).
Fuji, like Canon, Nikon, & Panasonic have opted for optical image stabilization. Fuji has plenty of its own money, vision, & continuity. I don't think Fuji will produce a FF sensor. All the indications are that they will produce a medium format mirrorless if anything. Fuji already makes all the medium format lenses for Hasselblad and the large HD broadcast lenses for Sony. Fuji has a long history of medium format range finder cameras.

IF anything Ricoh needs someone with Fuji's lens production capabilities. The Fujinon glass is excellent and Fuji has demonstrated that they have significant capacity to develop and produce a significant number of high quality lenses very quickly. This is something that Ricoh needs for K-mount. I could see Ricoh turning to Fuji for glass and that would not be a bad thing for K-mount users.
03-09-2016, 06:27 AM   #43
Veteran Member

It would be amazing if Ricoh did not have various ideas and prototypes for mirrorless cameras in their labs. They are already involved in two current lines of mirrorless cameras and some other, now defunct ones as well as various compact cameras if you count those as mirrorless. And, like any other company, they need a Plan B in reserve should the market or their competitors suddenly change everything. Whether Ricoh (or Fuji) need a partner for anything strikes me as complete speculation with no evidence at all. A full-on partnership is very different from the kind of deals Ricoh must have with Tamron, e.g., to make certain lenses.

I'd guess that a problem for all the camera-makers in a declining market is the zero-sum game, i.e. it may be that they can only create sales for new lines by losing sales from their existing lines. Ouch, perhaps. There are no easy answers here.

In any case, behind this new rumour there is another piece of speculation: that any company without "FF" in their line-up is kaput. I'd say that is far from a given since FF is still minority interest and is likely to be for a long time. I wonder if there is a shadowy "FF Consortium" charged with pumping out propaganda.

Last edited by mecrox; 03-09-2016 at 06:51 AM.
03-10-2016, 05:24 AM   #44

Fuji, like Canon, Nikon, & Panasonic have opted for optical image stabilization. Fuji has plenty of its own money, vision, & continuity. I don't think Fuji will produce a FF sensor. All the indications are that they will produce a medium format mirrorless if anything. Fuji already makes all the medium format lenses for Hasselblad and the large HD broadcast lenses for Sony. Fuji has a long history of medium format range finder cameras.
My thoughts as well, the X mount doesn't fit FF sensor, so if Fuji were to make a FF camera, they need a new mount and new line of lenses, however, for medium format, they have experience, and so does Pentax thus Fuji might gain some benefits if they work together with Ricoh to make a Digital medium format camera.

IF anything Ricoh needs someone with Fuji's lens production capabilities. The Fujinon glass is excellent and Fuji has demonstrated that they have significant capacity to develop and produce a significant number of high quality lenses very quickly. This is something that Ricoh needs for K-mount. I could see Ricoh turning to Fuji for glass and that would not be a bad thing for K-mount users.
Agreed, Ricoh does need good optical companies that has the production capabilities and capabilities to design quality lenses. I would pretty happy if Ricoh to work with Fuji to design future D-FA* or D-FA primes that's on the road map. Also Fuji's excellent JEPG engine might also add a bonus to Ricoh to adopt as well.

Overall, I would be happy to see Ricoh/Pentax work together with Fuji, both companies understands photography and photographers and produced lots of intriguing photographic tools.
03-10-2016, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

This thread needs a picture.