Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Panasonic GH4 uses CDAF with DFD and is very very fast.
I use a GH-4 and this is certainly correct.

03-14-2016, 06:49 AM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Not for single shots, not at all, at least on my camera. I think PDAF is for tracking, which is fair enough.
No. CDAF doesn't know which way to go, PDAF does. Fast CDAF is paired with PDAF on sensor points.

Is there such a thing as -3ev pure CDAF?
03-14-2016, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
No. CDAF doesn't know which way to go, PDAF does. Fast CDAF is paired with PDAF on sensor points.

So what? So far as I know, many (most??) mirrorless cameras have CDAF but not PDAF and the world has not ended yet. The CDAF AF on my MILC is very fast and accurate. It does what I want and that's all that matters to me. In fact my keeper rate has gone up because I have fewer OOF shots these days compared to the results I was getting from a DSLR. I don't shoot sports/action and if I did I would use a different camera for that. Attempts to "prove" that one thing is better than another are a little pointless when cameras generally have got so good that whichever method, form factor, brand, etc, exceeds what nearly any user can do by several hundred per cent. Use both if it is causing sleepless nights. Above all, enjoy

Last edited by mecrox; 03-14-2016 at 07:14 AM.
03-14-2016, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
So what? So far as I know, many (most??) mirrorless cameras have CDAF but not PDAF and the world has not ended yet. The CDAF AF on my MILC is very fast and accurate. It does what I want and that's all that matters to me. In fact my keeper rate has gone up because I have fewer OOF shots these days compared to the results I was getting from a DSLR. I don't shoot sports/action and if I did I would use a different camera for that. These constant attempts to "prove" that one thing is better than another are a little tiresome when either method, form factor, brand, etc, exceeds what nearly any user can do by several hundred per cent. Use both if it is causing sleepless nights
I guess I don't see it as a competition. My understanding is that PDAF is normally the fastest way to focus; CDAF is the most accurate {avoids the dreaded front/back focusing issue, for one thing}. Ultimately, the best is probably a hybrid system which uses PDAF to get to the right neighborhood and CDAF to do any needed fine-tuning.

03-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote

"Finally, the GH4 is capable of focusing at light levels down to -4EV, a challenge even for many phase-detect systems."

Panasonic GH4 Review - A completely new AF approach
03-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #111

The rumor as we know it says Fuji is the most likely candidate to partner with Ricoh, but I wonder if Olympus is another possibility. They filed patents for full frame mirrorless primes this year (20mm 1.4, 24 1.4, 28 f2, and 35 1.4), and have a recent history of sharing a mount with another company (Panasonic, who we also know is co-developing organic sensor technology with Fuji). Just food for thought.
03-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #112
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
I may be wrong, but isn't sony E mount made like an open standard similarly like m4/3 mount is and it would be wiser, if not going with k mount, choose a mount that has large support for various lenses and accessories? You can mount many lenses on E mount and they even can utilize autofocus. That would sell new mirrorless system pretty well. Fuji is also not very much into video stuff so it might be Fuji to go together with RP... You know, a felloship of we ignore this and that thing... Although I would love to see Samsung NX1 guts inside the possible new Pentax mirrorless. Interesting rumor, will sew how real it is in the future, but 2018?! That is a very long time period... Hopefully RP and the possible partner company whether it's Fuji or someone else will be considerably open about what they are doing and keep us informed,
I would look for this to be a Ricoh branded camera.

E-mount does make most sense given it's viability for FF also Sony revealed the specs back in 2011. (It would be nice to see them announce a partnership and then BAM! have lenses they've been designing around since 2011) Sony wins with budget friendlier compact lens designs, Ricoh wins with an existing camera user base that they can sell "ours handles better, costs less & is weather proof" even if they don't initially offer a FF mirrorless then the flagship is already there.

Apart from the APS-C future deadend, Fuji would also make sense, given their focus on large aperture lenses vs pentax's focus on compact so their could be synergies there. likewise with bayer (ricoh) vs foveon (fuji*) sensor options would provide some nice cross pollination. there could also be synergies with potential mirrorless Medium format systems with both Fuji and Pentax being in that space.

*Fuji does make some Bayer sensored cameras

03-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stickler Quote
Apart from the APS-C future deadend ...
What is the basis of this statement??
03-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #114
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What is the basis of this statement??
The Fuji x-mount won't physically allow a 35mm sensor as far as I understand. I think Ricoh/Pentax would shy away from going all-in on aps-c again
03-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #115

QuoteOriginally posted by Shodra Quote
The only way I see it working out is Ricoh developing and supporting a fully functional K to X-FF adapter to bridge the lack of lenses when Fuji goes FF. But then what is the long run gain for Ricoh? Now that they launched K mount FF and are pushing it quite a bit with lenses and making all these implicit commitments to keep developing the system, they are stuck at a large flange distance mount just as much as Canon and Nikon are.

Develop a complete lens lineup for K FF over the next few years and then jump ship in a coordinated manner?

On the bright side, an XTrans Q and a 645/67 ML would be very interesting. That would be my plan: Mirrorless MF. MF is where the mirror starts getting big enough to really get in the way, and you don't need the fastest EVF, nobody shoot sports on any kind of 67 anyway.
FUJI WILL NOT GO FF!!!! They have said at every major show and interview that Mirrorless is aimed squarely at APSC. They are looking to get into the Digital Medium Format and that could be an interesting conversation regarding shared mounts.

I wish Pentax had gone into the APSC mirrorless market sooner. (Wouldn't of had to sell my Pentax gear , except my K10D) I for one would buy without hesitation if they used X mount as Fuji Glass is excellent.
03-28-2016, 04:21 PM   #116
Pentaxian

Who knows for sure what will happen... Samsung had a "ditch your DSLR" campaign just before ditching their mirrorless cameras. Fuji will say what they have to say, aggressively downplaying the advantages of the larger formats (and up-selling the advantages of the smaller one) so they would sell more.

At least Pentax had the decency of saying "not for now" when asked about the FF (until they had plans to make one, that is).
03-29-2016, 04:06 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Who knows for sure what will happen... Samsung had a "ditch your DSLR" campaign just before ditching their mirrorless cameras. Fuji will say what they have to say, aggressively downplaying the advantages of the larger formats (and up-selling the advantages of the smaller one) so they would sell more.

At least Pentax had the decency of saying "not for now" when asked about the FF (until they had plans to make one, that is).
Yes, exactly. A company will say the best thing for it to say at the moment it says it. It has little bearing on what it might do in the future.
03-29-2016, 06:47 AM   #118
Forum Member

Fuji is painted into a corner with the current x-mount. Like m43, the mount isn't physically big enough to support FF, which forces them to stay APS-C unless they change mounts.

Now a Med Format mirrorless mount has long made sense, I could see where Ricoh & Fuji could develop a new short flanged 645 sized mount together. This would allow them also to have camera models offering a variety of sensor sizes from APS-C (less likely) , 35mm FF, cropped MF and eventually uncropped MF. This new mount could be easily adapted to accept X?, K, K (MF) lenses and maintain support, and dominate that space, and possibly even lure FF Canikon folks looking for an upgrade path (to MF) or access to a foveon sensor.
03-29-2016, 06:47 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Yes, exactly. A company will say the best thing for it to say at the moment it says it. It has little bearing on what it might do in the future.
Samsung NX1 price is much higher than similar APS-C DSLR and mirrorless... It is doomed to fail...
03-29-2016, 06:52 AM   #120
Pentaxian

NX-1 is finished... like all Samsung cameras : only last inventories in some places.